Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking For A Good Font ... that works with Inventor

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
LT.Rusty
3987 Views, 12 Replies

Looking For A Good Font ... that works with Inventor

There's plenty of good fonts out there.

There's plenty of free fonts out there.

There's plenty of fonts that work with Inventor out there.

There's plenty of monospace fonts out there.

There's plenty of Sans Serif fonts out there.

There's plenty of fonts that can be extruded with draft out there.

What I'm looking for is one that meets ALL the criteria, not just a couple.

What I'm working on is an insert for a mold to make text markings on a cast part.  I'll be milling this out of - probably - UHMW. 

Take a look at the pictures attached, and you'll see what I'm doing, and what I'm trying to avoid.  In the second picture, look at the interaction between the L and the A, and the annoying stuff on the R.  Also the shape of the top inside of the A.

Any suggestions on a font that might suit my needs?

Rusty

EESignature

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
LT.Rusty
in reply to: LT.Rusty

It'd help if I attached some pictures, wouldn't it?

marking plate 1.JPG

marking plate 2.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
Cadmanto

Rusty,

What font are you showing in your image?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 13
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Cadmanto

HelveticaNeueLT Com 55 Roman

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
mcgyvr

Arial.. Hands down

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 13
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mcgyvr

Arial doesn't draft well, and it's not monospaced, so there's not enough gaps between some letter combinations to get an end mill in there.  In the example below, the letters - using Arial - are 1" tall.  There's only 48 thou between the L and the A, and look at how the R and the top of the A are distorted.

I'm sort of leaning toward (yes, I'm a nerd) Federation Starfleet, because the spacing is good and there's no serifs, but I don't really like the angles.  I'd rather have more smooth curves, but I may be stuck with it.

marking plate 3.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
Cadmanto

We use Tohmoa as our default and sometimes Calibri.  Both are very block style.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 13
LT.Rusty

Tahoma is (a) not Sans, and (b) not monospaced.

Looking at Calibri, it's not monospaced either.  It's going to have the same collision issues between (in particular) the L's and the A's.  (That's a letter combination that comes up a lot in the project I'm working on right now.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
Cadmanto

Yeah,  I wasn't thinking it would match that criteria.  Can't you adjust the spacing slightly to compensate?

I know I have done that in the past to avoid overlap.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 13
LT.Rusty

If you know a way to adjust text kerning in Inventor, I'd love to hear it.  I haven't found a way.

Other than that, are you suggesting that I should create a separate text box for each letter, then manually dimension them to each other to get the spacing right?  That sounds like almost as much fun as the fallback method of modeling each letter myself, which I'm not interested in doing again.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
Cadmanto

Sorry, I was thinking about a different program.  You know the feeling when you work on so many different programs, sometimes they all just mesh together?  Smiley Frustrated  If there was an option for being able to space the letters away from each other that sounds like it would be the cats meow for you.  Am I wrong thinking that?

If I am right, here is an idea that I posted speaking to this.  Feel free to cast your kudo vote.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Ability-to-space-text-letters-from-each-other-in-...

I guess that is kind of where you might be at.  That is seperate letters.  I know we have a stamped nameplate that we copy design all the time that has this (seperate letters and numbers).  It pretty much has all but I thin maybe two letters in it.  We don't dimension it, but rather eyeball it.  Maybe that is not an option for you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 13

Hi LT.Rusty,

I run into this occasionally, with some acrylic laser engraved labels (using Arial). My workaround is to add a space character between the two letters that are too close, and then select that space character individually in the text editor and set the Size to smaller value. See illustration:

Autodesk Inventor Text Space.png

I sometimes combine this approach with the % Stretch setting set at 110 in order to get what I need.

But I don't run into this very often, so the workaround isn't really a big issue. If you're doing a lot of this, then this might not help much.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 13

That's a good workaround for the spacing, and I can see using that some.  It'll get annoying if I have to do it a lot, though, as you suspected.

I still need to find a font that will take significant draft when extruded, though.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report