Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock an iPart?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mrack42
398 Views, 11 Replies

Lock an iPart?

Is there a way to lock an iPart's geometry, so users can only modify the table?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mrack42

Hi! The author table is an embedded object in the iPart factory ipt file. If you allow users to modify the table, the whole part needs to be editable. What do you mean by not changing the geometry? Do you want to block users from changing features (then what about changing features via table)? Or, you don't want to have any feature on the part except a base body?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 12
mrack42
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I want to block adding sketches, performing operations (Extrude, Revolve and such), and editing existing sketches.  I want to allow ONLY editing the table... revising numbers ini the table and adding new rows in the table.

There are some users who have enough knowledge to be dangerous, and not enough to appreciate the ramifications of their actions.  I've had two iParts now that got hopelessly ravaged (didn't find out about it until it was too late), and one that was inappropriately modified, which was probably used in a few thousand drawings... luckily that one was easy to undo the damage.

Message 4 of 12
mdavis22569

Are you using Vault?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
mrack42
in reply to: mdavis22569

Not using Vault.

Message 6 of 12
mdavis22569

Do you keep them on the network, or on their pc's? If it's on the network, then set up read/write permissions on the files. That way they can't save back. However they could do a save as, but not as the same part number. Just a thought

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
mrack42
in reply to: mdavis22569

Well, they do need to be able to create new members in the iPart.  I don't think I'm going to get what I want here... I think it's going to be either "don't use iParts" or "deal with it". 😞

Message 8 of 12
mcgyvr

Simple re-explain the importance of maintaining accurate cad data..

If they can't follow that.. Fire Them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! If the geometry is pretty much all set and there is no variation among members, you could use Copy Object command to make a copy of the solid body, turn it into a dumb solid, and delete the original body. It will prevent any further change to the features, since there are essentailly no features any more.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12
mrack42
in reply to: mcgyvr

The thing is they aren't dedicated drafters... they mostly have other responsibilities.  Good, smart people, it's just not what they most often do.  Can't fire the electrician for messing up the plumbing.  The obvious follow up is "Why did you hire an electrician to do the plumbing?"... to which I can only respond that I didn't... not my call.

Message 11 of 12
mcgyvr

@mrack42 wrote:

The thing is they aren't dedicated drafters... they mostly have other responsibilities.  Good, smart people, it's just not what they most often do.  Can't fire the electrician for messing up the plumbing.  The obvious follow up is "Why did you hire an electrician to do the plumbing?"... to which I can only respond that I didn't... not my call.

No they are put into a position that they are not adequately trained for.. Thats the problem. 

Its not your call but if its messing with your job and costing you time its YOUR responsibility to inform whomever made the call that the lack of training is causing you problems. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 12
mrack42
in reply to: mcgyvr

Aye, and also my job to offer alternative, simple solutions, beyond "fire them".

TELL ME MORE.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report