Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of Sketch Constraints

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tjb1
5458 Views, 9 Replies

List of Sketch Constraints

Does Inventor (2012) have the option to view sketch constraints as a list? I feel like I am playing pictionary trying to find out what constraint is what and what it is constraining and it doesn't help that Inventor stacks anything nearby on top of each other.

I've attached a file showing what the problem is, please don't judge the model tree.  I was prototyping as I went so it is messy.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CCarreiras
in reply to: tjb1

Hi!

But why you want to view all the constrains at the same time??!!

You have diferent line color to diferenciate what's constrain and what's not. Also in the bottom wrigth, you have the information regarding constraining.

1.png

Also you can active view the constrains for isolate geometry members, use this tool: "Show Constrains".

2.pngand you will have the same information, less confusion.

About the list, you have the description on the help about all kind of constrains, but if you continue practicing, believe me, you don't need any list for that... just practice. Tip: When you start a new sketch, constrains the firsts elements you draw, and it will be easier to control your sketch. Always "Full Constrain" the sketch.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

The sketch constraints shown in your screen capture do not make logical sense.

Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
tjb1

This is not about how to use the constraints, I want to know if I can view a list.  I also don't see how they aren't logical, almost every one in that sketch is a Symmetric, Vertical, Horizontal or Parallel constraint...

Carlos, that button does make it easier but I would still like to see a list.

Something like the image attached instead of pictures everywhere on the sketch.

Message 5 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

In addition to the usual places, you have lot's of quick ways to access the constrain's information and manage.

You doesn't have a list nor a function to delete all the constrains in inventor, but... you can select wich constrains you want to delete at the same time quickly, and i think you have good visual information regarding constrains... besides, which cases we need to delete all the constrains!?

Like i said,  is a matter of habituation to a different  software. You can't have the better of the two in one... Smiley Happy

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
GH80

I feel your pain, I do not believe Inventor sketch constraints are implemented as well as the competitive software. I would hope this feature is introduced in new releases, as it is much easier to work with.

Before anyone asks, I have been using Inventor for 3 years now and this is one of the features I miss most.

Message 7 of 10
tjb1
in reply to: CCarreiras

Carlos, this is not about the delete button. That just happens to be circled in the picture I found. As GH80 said, a list of the constraints as shown in the picture(just the list, nothing else) would be nice rather than going all around the sketch trying to find the constraint. Not to mention it takes about 10 trys to delete a coincident constaint because they keep disappearing when you move the mouse to select them.

Once again, I do not care about deleting them all. I want to be able to see a list of all constraints used in the sketch.
Message 8 of 10
stephenrottloff7259

Add the parameter function to your quick select toolbar.  Then you have 1 click access to your parameters.

I apologize in advance if 2012 does not support this, but from memory you should be able to add it to the toolbar.  If not, then just select the parameter function from the ribbon bar.

Stephen R.

Message 9 of 10
tjb1
in reply to: stephenrottloff7259

Those are dimensions, not constraints.
Message 10 of 10
yannick3

Hi

I'm not sure if 2012 have this feature but you can try

select your line close (very important) to the coincident constraint you want to delete and RMB select delete coincident constraint

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report