Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting in idw

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Dion
3834 Views, 12 Replies

Lighting in idw

I'm sure it's been asked before, but a search of the forum returns nothing.....
Is there a way to change the lighting in an idw?
The part I am trying to show is using the two light setting in the model (document settings) but the idw shows it as though it's lit using the default setting, i.e very dark in this case.

Oh and while I'm here does anyone know how to set the signature when posting? (to avoid having to rewrite my specs each time)

Thanks,
Dion

Inventor 2009 Suite
Vista 64 Business
ATI 4850 (hasn't trashed Inventor YET)
E8500 CPU (intel 3.16 GHz)
8Gb Ram
150Gb 10k rpm HDD

P.S.Autodesk: What's with the text formatting? why can it not keep my original format with line spacings etc? Edited by: Dion@DSL on Sep 30, 2008 4:43 PM
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Dion
in reply to: Dion

Nobody has any information on the lighting used in the shaded view in an idw? Anyone from Autodesk?
Message 3 of 13
Dion

I found the answer.... the lighting style in a shaded view in an IDW is controlled by the lighting.xml file in design data (should have guessed). I don't know why mine wasn't right, but replacing that file solved the issue.

Was that such a noob question that no one deemed it worthy of reply? Was my question worded that badly that no one could understand it? (I'm not being a smart***, I'm genuinely asking)

Because I don't believe that there was no one out there in the inventor community that was aware of that.
Message 4 of 13
a.carlson

I have the same problem but I need more detail on how to make the change. Please help if you can.

Thank you
Message 5 of 13
powerdraft

Probably no one had an answer (guarded autodesk secret?). I'm having difficulty removing the gradient from shaded views; any help with this would be appreciated also.
Message 6 of 13
Tim.Nong

Hi Dion,

I appreciate your posts and we must apologize for replying you so late. Anyway, this is a good question and also great research. Actually it's a know issue and logged as a wishlist (# 960808) that make ability to use model lighting schemes in shaded views.

Currently we set a light style as the default lighting setting for shaded views. Absolutely correct that you have to go to folder ...\Inventor [version]\Design Data and open Lighting.xml to edit style "1:Default", you can set mutilple lights and define brightness, contrast, etc. with your desired.

Thanks,

Tim

Inventor Drawing Manager QA

Autodesk, Inc. Edited by: Tim.Nong/Autodesk on Dec 3, 2008 6:40 PM
Message 7 of 13
burninin

Tim

I have the sample issue here, well sort of. The light is coming from top right I would like to change it to shine to the front in a idw file. I tried to fallow your procedure above and the file Lighting.xml opened up using my Dream weaver program. I’m not into codes here. I browsing to Autodesk, inventor 09 but nothing would open it. How do I set/change the lighting in xml file?

Bruce
Message 8 of 13
richardsouthall3633

Does anyone have any answers to how to move the direction of the lighting in an idw.

I have tried modifing the lighting.xml document but this still has no effect. If it is controlled by the default lighting settings, I tried to modify all the releavent values to no luck I also did this with the two lights positilonal values.

I then tried deleting all the information from the xml file keeping just <lighting version="2"></lighting> and Inventor still loaded the idw's happily so I am not sure if it is looking at this file for ligthing information within idws

Has anyone had any results with this issue.

Richard

Message 9 of 13
skyngu
in reply to: Tim.Nong

is there any hotfix of this issue in autodesk inventor 2015? thanks
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Message 10 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: skyngu

@jcneal wrote:
is there any hotfix of this issue in autodesk inventor 2015? thanks

We can't tell you as 2015 is still in beta and users are required to adhere to an NDA. 

Not to mention that a hotfix is for bugs.. not adding new features/requests. 

Is there a specific problem you are having? You can modify the lighting in an IDW to some extent and disable gradients/reflections,etc...

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/02/disable-reflections-and-gradients-in.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 13
chad38

This just today became an issue for me. Looks like it still has the same issue, even in Inventor 2014. Wanted it shaded for an iso view. I just projected an iso from the other direction, but still. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shade like the model had it.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 12 of 13
skyngu
in reply to: mcgyvr

thanks. I used regedit edit workaround. I just wondering the easier way to do it on more than 10 pc.
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Message 13 of 13
johan_brostrom
in reply to: chad38

In the "good old days" the lighting was saved in the view representations and changing the lighting in the view representation used by a drawing view would update the lighting of that drawing view.
In Inventor 2010 when the realistic shading was introduced this changed. Now the drawing views get the "Default" lighting style as it was saved in the Style Library when the drawing was created. (Note that the default lighting style of the model templates installed with inventor is not "Default" but "Two Lights".)

So to change the lighting of a drawing view, change the "Default" lighting style of a model file and save it to your Style Library and create a new drawing. Copy the drawing view from the old drawing and paste it into the new one and you have adjusted the lighting of your view.

This behavior means that all shaded views of a drawing will get the same lighting style.

Since we have Inventor Studio, 3ds max design, Showcase and so on to produce realistic renderings I think that the ability to more easily adjust the lighting of shaded drawing views like pre Inventor 2010 is much more useful than the realistic shading of the model.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report