Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Levels of Detail

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ASchlaack
725 Views, 9 Replies

Levels of Detail

Is it possible to control which level of detail is turned on by the value of a specific parameter?

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Dell Windows 8.1 64 bit Intel(R) Xeon(R) @ 3.50GHz 32GB Ram
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mdavis22569
in reply to: ASchlaack

I don't think so, but I'm betting in Ilogic you can ... or in the opening of the file

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
ASchlaack
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thanks and in that case can anyone tell me how to do it some other way please?

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 4 of 10

Hi ASchlaack,

Here is a quick iLogic example:

‘set parameter value
My_Param = InputBox("Enter 0 or 1", "iLogic",  My_Param)

‘define the Assembly Component Definition
Dim oAsmCompDef As ComponentDefinition
oAsmCompDef = ThisDoc.Document.ComponentDefinition

Dim oLOD as LevelOfDetailRepresentation 

‘check the value of a parameter
If My_Param = 0 Then
    ‘activate LOD (assumes it exists)
    oLOD = oAsmCompDef.RepresentationsManager. _
    LevelOfDetailRepresentations.Item(“Master”).Activate(True)
Else If My_Param = 1 Then
    ‘activate LOD (assumes it exists)    
    oLOD = oAsmCompDef.RepresentationsManager. _
    LevelOfDetailRepresentations.Item(“All Parts Suppressed”).Activate(True)
End If

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 10
mdavis22569

I've tried a few things ...and nothing is working. It's not a on off thing that the FX/parameters would control. It would have to be rule based, however you could set some true/false values to maybe change the LOD ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 10

Curtis, thank you that will help but I don't know where to put in any info... I've never actually learned or be shown how to understand rules.

Could you help out with that somehow please? It'd be great if you could just explain where I'd put the info into this...

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 7 of 10
mcgyvr

Aaron,

What are you hoping to accomplish using LOD and all these rules you are posting about.. 

LOD is intended to ONLY be a memory management tool to allow you to suppress parts like fasteners or other insignificant parts or other parts you just don't need to see at that time to allow you to work in an assembly faster. An example might be a level of detail called "no harnesses" where I turn of all wire harness to free up the memory and just make it a little faster when doing other things in the model.

There are numerous tutorials on youtube about how to get started with ilogic.. as well as stuff on Curtis's site,etc... 

It would be nice to get the big picture so.. Seems you are fairly new to inventor and it seems like you are taking the hard road vs just using the built in tools that already exist (you just might not know how to use them).. 

Your posts are limited in the details you give and might just be getting "more difficult" answers that what you really need. Just trying to help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 10
ASchlaack
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'm just trying to suppress parts. And which parts depends on on a parameter.  I have all the parts that need suppressed at different times grouoped into folders. I just want to know how to turn the rule I wrote below into something that will work because you can't use folder in iRules, or atleast I can't figure out how.

If "parameter1" <= 60 inch Then

Folder "0-59" = True

Else

Folder "0-59" = False

End if.

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 9 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr wrote:

LOD is intended to ONLY be a memory management tool to allow you to suppress parts ...

Hi mcgyvr,

Just as an FYI: LOD using iLogic can actually be used as configuration tool also. Meaning that iLogic will configure the BOM via suppression. However, as soon as you mix the iLogic automation with a user that is suppressing/unsuppressing manually there is a chance of the BOMs getting "unconfigured".

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 10 of 10

@ASchlaack wrote:

I'm just trying to suppress parts. And which parts depends on on a parameter ...

Hi ASchlaack,

I might have just answered this in in part or in full in your other thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General-Discussion/Help-with-Rules/td-p/5195863

Also, I agree with mcgyvr's thoughts on "the big picture".

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report