Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of detail- LOD in inventor2008

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
aarn800
300 Views, 8 Replies

Level of detail- LOD in inventor2008

My assembly file has several "level of detail" ( LOD ) representations" If I place another part into the assembly it appears in every single LOD. Is there a way to make it appear only in the master by default? & Retain the existing LOD as it is before the new part addition?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: aarn800

We have heard the request for "Locking" LODs (like
a Design View Rep), and are considering it for future releases. At this time,
however, only a DV can be locked, and thus preserved with the currently visible
components.

- Pete

Product Design

My
assembly file has several "level of detail" ( LOD ) representations" If I place
another part into the assembly it appears in every single LOD. Is there a way to
make it appear only in the master by default? & Retain the existing LOD as
it is before the new part addition?
Message 3 of 9
jimvz

We have the same problem. Each time we add a component to the assembly we have to remove it from the levels of detail it isn't required in. This takes approx. an hour for us. A solution would be very useful!
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

There is an easy workaround in 2008/2009:

1. Create Design Views instead of  LOD's (even
if you are using LOD's)

2. Lock the Design Views ( no more additions).

3. In Design View, RMB - Copy to Level Of Detail ( gives it
the same name).
4. Use LOD's in IDW/DWG as
usual.

After you have added components to the assembly, they will
continue to appear in every LOD. To fix this, simply delete all of the LODs,
then go back to Design Views, RMB and Copy to Level Of Detail. The drawing views
that are already created from the pre-existing (same name) LOD will remain
unchanged.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP3, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 9
jlackey4740

Question, if I create a design view for every explosion that I make in an ipn, then, reference each explosion as a seperate view in dwg, how will that affect my memory usage. I once tried making a LOD for each explosion thinking it would be easier and faster in the long run, but it turned out that it would completely bog my system down when I would open the files (ipn, iam, or dwg) that it would sometimes take half an hour just to rotate my assy, or to go to a different sheet on the dwg. Also, if I were to open the dwg, and do anything to a view, even just add item bubbles or a sketch on the view, save it, close it, and then open my iam with out shutting down inventor, make changes in the iam, while in an LOD, it would not allow me to save because it kept telling me that another version of the same level of detail was being edited. Ultimately, I would like to be able to create explosions in presentations that I don't have to turn the visibilty off everytime I create a new explosion of all the parts that I don't want shown in that view. It's very tme consuming. Thanks.

Jason Lackey
Win XP Pro(2002)
Intel Core 2 2.66 GHz
3.25 GB ram
Message 6 of 9
kproesser

My reseller jsut told me to start using LOD instead of Design Rep for improved memory usage. Now I see that they can't be locked. So i have two choices. You reps and suffer with loads of memory or use LOD and have no way to lock them. Can't we have a single item that allows for lower memory usage in the iam, ipn and idw and also lock is it really that hard.
Message 7 of 9
jlackey4740

Just wait until you start using LODs in presentation files and then use the explosions for views on drawings, you're in for a real treat then!
Message 8 of 9
kproesser

Why what happens? Does this crazy work around not work with the presentation files. Do you lose the tweeks?
Message 9 of 9
jlackey4740

Well, I will say this, there are goods and bads, and the bads aren't SO bad that you want to bash your head into the monitor, but they are like a nat, just buzzing in around your head, and after a while, you find yourself slapping your own face trying to get it, but somehow you keep missing just adding to the agitation.

anyway, the good that I found was this, when you bring the LOD into an explosion, only the parts that are not suppressed show up in the browser, making tweaking what you need super simple since just the parts you want in that view are there, and you don't have to keep scrolling back and forth for that elusive part number you accidentally turned invisible and are now trying to find to turn back on, which is awesome for large assy with thousands of parts! But for me, that's about as far as the good extended.

The bads, for one, it slowed down my computer performance to a low crawl when working in the drawing environment (not the assembly environment, it's very helpful there), but drawings that would normally be just fine to work with were now shooting my memory straight to the red upon opening, and this is after trying to whole 3 GB switch with userva settings and all that. Secondly, depending on just how big the assy is of course, but most times I can work with the idw, ipn, and iam open at the same time allowing me to easily switch back and forth between environments when needed with no issues. Once I started using LODs, then the game changed. I would try working with the files open at the same time, and then I started getting errors like "can't save due to another version of the level of detail being edited," and mind you, only the iam has the actual level of detail, while the other files are just referencing it. This error appears in either of the environments, so sometimes you will be trying to change a view, or even edit the parts list, and then when you go to close the parts list, it won't save the changes because of this error, and the same has happened while trying to edit explosions in an ipn. I would even close the two files that I wasn't trying to edit to make the changes, and the error would still apply. Then, I just recently found out if I check an iam back into our vault, and I leave it in a LOD, the next time any one would check out the assy it would cause inventor to crash.

Of course, I am only relaying my own personal experiences here, so by no means can I speak for any one else on the matter, but the best conclusion that I have come up with is this:

make your LODs for your work environment, once you create your LODs, RMB on the LOD in the browser and say copy to View Rep, now you have created a view rep with just the parts that you want for a specific view, and you can lock it and not have to worry about it changing as you make changes to the assy in other LODs.
Of course, when you go to the ipn, create a new explosion, go to your options and pick the view rep you want, every now and then you will still get that error that I mentioned earlier, but it is dramatically decreased, and I have yet to have any issues with drawing causing the lag that I had described while just using the LODs ever since I started using this method. Take your time and try some different ideas that may work better for you, but thus far this last section has been the best way to get the most use out of the LOD feature that I have found.

J Lackey
XP PRO SP2
INTEL CORE 2
2.66GHz ; 3.25GB RAM
INV 2008 SP 3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report