Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let a wheel roll in a randomly shaped rail

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kenevens93
1163 Views, 5 Replies

Let a wheel roll in a randomly shaped rail

As you can see in the attachment (which is a small test version of my full project) do I have a problem..

The wheels on the side need to roll inside the guide rail. I can let them roll in each part separately but not in the entire rail.

I already tried with transitional constrains but then inventor says that there are some problems.

My project needs to become a sectional gate so there's going te be lots more than just 2 wheels in it...

Hope someone can explane me how to constrain this movement

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mpatchus
in reply to: kenevens93

Try creating a continuous surface (as a seperate part) on the inside of the guide rails.

Constrain the wheels to this surface instead of the rails.

Turn the visibilty of the surface off as needed.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
mrattray

Don't double post. It's bad karma..

hhttp://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Constraining-to-a-random-path/td-p/3669326

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 6
kenevens93

I'm sorry but it did help... He gave me a good tip which i didn't get on the other post...

Mpatchus: The rail is made by sweeping along a continous axis but in the assembly it always gets divided.. How can i make a continuous surface that wont divided in the assembly?
Message 5 of 6
jingyi.liu

Well, I guss you want to get  a animation, I prefer to use Inventor Dynamic Simulation to get such kind movement.

You can leverage the joint (sliding:Curve & Point), attached please fiind the iam file , I made some changes on your dataset, simpliified the assembly  and modified the guiderail part,  since it requires a close loop.

Inventor Professional 2013

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Message 6 of 6
jingyi.liu

Also modified attached part to create a sketch point.

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report