Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Assembly Issues

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
floccipier
872 Views, 6 Replies

Large Assembly Issues

Hi Guys,

I am quite new to inventor and i don't had any formal training - just learned it from videos and books and all the wonderful solutions u have already put their as response to various peroblems. Many thanks.

Currently I m wokring on fairly large assembly of (as it feels to me) 14441 (Total Occurances in Active Document) and 1765 (Open Documents in Session). Its a complex Jumpform system for a skyscrapper.

Now as I went on with the assembly and saving all the parts, bolted connections and subassemblies in network drive - few of them were accidently saved in my local drive. I have setup a project files for this project and other projects and any one in my team changes the project file to open certain model assembly. So now when i open the assembly it goes fine but if someone else in my team opens that up they get errors of unresloved stuff. Now the things for which I need guidances are,

1. If I pack and go the whole assembly to remove the reslove errors - what will happen to my 100s of drawings (idw)?

2. Few of subassemblies had to undergo pack and go so that they can be changed to suit requirement at some other places after being renamed through design assistant. But now when i open my main assembly after setting up my prjecting file - it gives errors of multiple instances for the subassemblies obtained by performing "pack and go", in relation with the orginal sub assemblies.

3. What is the best technique for setting up project, main and subassemblies? Any helping suggestion, links will be much appreciated.

4. What steps I must need to follow performing pack and go? the destination folder can be a folder in project? if it is outside, how to grab it back in project (simple copy, paste)? After Pack and Go do I have to rename even the bolts before i bring the Pack and Go folder back to my project???

4. Can Autodesk Vault solve my problems? How difficult it is to setup and use Vault?

Sorry for my really bad english.

Regards.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rajivsudhi
in reply to: floccipier

Hi,

The fikes which were accidentally saved in your Local drive, Just identify the files and move them to the project folder.

Your problem will be solved.

Pack and Go is a good option but not for your assembly. I worry that it may increase the problems.

If you feel, the pack and go is better, you maygo ahead. You need not have to worry about the drawings.

If you place all the drawings in the same folder, it will open without any problem.

Lemme know if I have answered your question.

Message 3 of 7
floccipier
in reply to: rajivsudhi

Hi Rajiv Smiley Happy,

Thanks a lot man. I copied stuff to my folder and only once i resolved them and then it was boom boom 🙂 - I really enjoyed opening it on other system (other then mine) for very first time.

Rajiv, one more thing - about my other questions, do you think they can be solved? I will wait for your reply.

Thanx again.

Message 4 of 7
rajivsudhi

1. If I pack and go the whole assembly to remove the reslove errors - what will happen to my 100s of drawings (idw)?

I Think Now you need not have to do it as your problem is resolved after pasting all the related files in the project folders.

2. Few of subassemblies had to undergo pack and go so that they can be changed to suit requirement at some other places after being renamed through design assistant. But now when i open my main assembly after setting up my prjecting file - it gives errors of multiple instances for the subassemblies obtained by performing "pack and go", in relation with the orginal sub assemblies.

First open the sub assemblies which had pack and go. Check whether it is working fine. After that open the main assembly (assembly containing all the sub-assys). If the problem still persists, check the filepath of the files having the problem and confirm whether it is the same file which is supposed to be. If none of the things worked, try replacing the file. It should solve the problem.

3. What is the best technique for setting up project, main and subassemblies? Any helping suggestion, links will be much appreciated.

This depends on the type of work what you are doing. If it is all individual projects and having no relation with each other, different project files for respective projects is better.

This is the Thumb Rule:- The best technique is to set the project file in the 1st parent folder.

(i.e. If I have around 10 folders in a Folder named xyz. The project file should be set in xyz. If xyz itself is one of a sub folder, then the project file should be set in its parent folder.)

4. What steps I must need to follow performing pack and go? the destination folder can be a folder in project? if it is outside, how to grab it back in project (simple copy, paste)? After Pack and Go do I have to rename even the bolts before i bring the Pack and Go folder back to my project???

Pack and Go destination folder can be any folder. There is no restriction. But I follow to create a pack and go to a new folder to avoid confusion between the existing files and new files added during pack and go so that it is one complete package.

You can move the files in just simple Cut/Copy paste option. That will work fine. Renaming the bolts depends on what type of file you are using. Universally, Bolts are used from the library folder which is a standard part OR From the content centre. If you are using files like these, you need not have to rename them. You can also skip those library parts during pack and go.

4. Can Autodesk Vault solve my problems? How difficult it is to setup and use Vault?

Vault concept is totally different and you will not have so much of freedom as you are having now. It is just a common server to all machines where anybody can access the files.

Setting up of Vault is like setting up a server. Slightly complicated though.

Message 5 of 7
floccipier

Thanx a lot Brother,

It solved most of my problems.

I appreciate it.

Message 6 of 7
floccipier

Rajiv,

Just One more thing,

The "fns" files inventor creat to do the analysis. Why they always give errors during opening the assemble or even doing "pack n go" on other systems in network?
Is it because they are not full version (capable of doing analsis)??

Regards,

Sajid.

Message 7 of 7
rajivsudhi

Sorry Bro... No Idea as we do not use analysis in Inventor here...

we do it in Ansys... Will let u know if I come across that prob...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report