Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible to do in Inventor Professional?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jjcrocco
527 Views, 11 Replies

Is this possible to do in Inventor Professional?

Can Inventor Professional actually do low voltage wiring for a whole building?  I am looking to design low voltage wiring in a new building that was designed in Revit.  I can get a 3D drawing from Revit, and I want to import that into Inventor, do the Low voltage cabling design for the whole building, then export that back out (BIM) to go into Revit.  Is this even possible? 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jjcrocco
in reply to: jjcrocco

Can no one answer this question?  I dont use this product, yet!  I am looking for input from someone who does use it who may be able to say wether this is even possible.

Message 3 of 12
Lance127

Inventor isn't the Product you are looking ofr, it's not really for that sort of thing. Take a look at Revit MEP

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 4 of 12
jjcrocco

I use Revit, but it does not have the capability to do what i want it to do.

Inventor has the wiring ability, and was wondering if it is possible to enlarge the scale to a whole building.

If not, is there any other program available?

Message 5 of 12
Lance127

Do you have Revit or Revit MEP, they are 2 different products.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 6 of 12
JDMather

@jjcrocco wrote:

Inventor has the wiring ability, and was wondering if it is possible to enlarge the scale to a whole building.

Size doesn't matter (well, within reason).
Just not sure the output would be what you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 12
Lance127
in reply to: JDMather

I remember running in to a limit on the size of a single part, but it was in miles so I doubt that would become an issue.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 8 of 12
jjcrocco
in reply to: JDMather

I have revit MEP. I know it now has cable trays, but I am after the individual wiring, like cat5 distribution throughout the whole building.  I can model piping to be a .125 diameter cable, but it will then have fittings, etc, and I cant make a run and it tell me the length from end to end.  I also would like it to report where each end is, and a BOM.  Inventor, on a small scale, seems like it could work, not sure if it can navigate a 2 story, 80,000 sf office building.

Message 9 of 12
Lance127

What's wrong with using electrical wire?

You could I guess in theory do it in Inventor but I certainily wouldn't want to try, since it would be like building a house with tweezers.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 10 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Lance127

@Lance127 wrote:

I remember running in to a limit on the size of a single part, but it was in miles so I doubt that would become an issue.

That is why I wrote (within reason), Inventor part limited to 10,000cm x 10,000cm x 10,000cm cube.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Limits-of-an-Inventor-part-or-assembly/m-p/2642600/h...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 12
jjcrocco
in reply to: Lance127

Does 13 have electrical wire?  12 doesnt. If 13 does, I may have to install that and play with it to see.  I have been working on this idea on and off for the past 12 months, and didnt see that wire was NEW is 2013.

Message 12 of 12
JDMather

@jjcrocco wrote:

Does 13 have electrical wire?  12 doesnt. If 13 does, I may have to install that and play with it to see. 

2012 does, every version if Inventor Professional or Routed Systems has wires and tools for routing the wires.

If your particular wire designation doesn't exist - simply add it to the library.

Routed Systems.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report