Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make all caps

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jletcher
723 Views, 13 Replies

Is there a way to make all caps

I need to make the material list in inventer all caps is there a way to do  this?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: jletcher

open the bill of materials.. Select all rows, right click and select "capitalize"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
SBix26

I created a set of materials just for our use and got rid of all the delivered ones.  That way they're named accurately and consistently (including CAPS).

Message 4 of 14
jletcher
in reply to: mcgyvr

I understand I can do this but I just want them to be all caps so my drafters don't have to remember to do it.

Message 5 of 14
Francis.Foley

Set them up as capitals in the first place in the Iproperties box!

Message 6 of 14
jletcher
in reply to: Francis.Foley

What? iproperties has nothing to do with it and I don't set it up the developers of Inventor set the material list up in the first place.......

Message 7 of 14
Francis.Foley

Apologies I misunderstood I thought you wanted to capitalise the products in the BOM that you have drawn up yourself!

Message 8 of 14
SBix26

You should set it up yourself.  The developers at Autodesk couldn't possibly produce a list that met everyone's needs.  Prior to Inventor 2013, your materials list should reside in a shared Styles Library.  For 2013 and following you will need to create a custom appearance library in a shared location.  That way everyone works from the same list and all material names are exactly as you want them.

Message 9 of 14
jletcher
in reply to: SBix26

Developers do what we need and want hahaha.... So what you are saying there is no way to modifiy the list they have.... Figured there was no easy way. and sharing Material list has been there for ever it's not new in 2013. Just most don't setup Inventor right.

Message 10 of 14
SBix26

Haven't done it yet, myself, but if I understand correctly, the new Appearance Libraries are similar to Content Center: if you want to alter anything, you have to create your own library and copy things from the delivered libraries into it.  The delivered Appearance Libraries are read-only.

Message 11 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: Francis.Foley

@Francis.Foley wrote:

Apologies I misunderstood I thought you wanted to capitalise the products in the BOM that you have drawn up yourself!

Me too.. I thought when he said "materials list" he actually meant "parts list".  oops Smiley Embarassed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 14
msklein

Got a simple answer, the reason we use all caps goes back to manual drawings so they could be read. Since we are all doing our drawings on cad it's about time we give up this archaic standard and just use sentence text. We no longer use the old text size any more, so we have started. Problem solved. doing away with cap's has been discussed before it seems about 60-70 still using and 30-40% have stopped.

MSK

Message 13 of 14
Francis.Foley
in reply to: msklein

@msklein wrote:

Got a simple answer, the reason we use all caps goes back to manual drawings so they could be read. Since we are all doing our drawings on cad it's about time we give up this archaic standard and just use sentence text. We no longer use the old text size any more, so we have started. Problem solved. doing away with cap's has been discussed before it seems about 60-70 still using and 30-40% have stopped.

MSK

I agree having all capitals is unnecessary and certainly does not help readability.

Message 14 of 14
dpeters2

You can edit the materials.xml file in your Design Data folder - replace the mixed-case material names with all caps.  Obviously, make a backup copy of the file first, and use caution editing the file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report