Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InventorViewCompute.exe in inventor 2012

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Fra.Anz
2756 Views, 20 Replies

InventorViewCompute.exe in inventor 2012

Dear all, i've got a problem with my Inventor Professional 2012. i've got the factory desing ultimate suite for 64 bit.

my pc has got a multiprocessor it's an inter core i5-2540M  and 8Gb of ram.

I have to do the drawing of an assembly consisting of 53 pieces, the problem is that these pieces have curved geometries, it's an engine.

When I start to compute the views it runs the InventorViewCompute.exe, and that's right.

if i decide to stop this work and to close the program (all inventor's windows) and i'm going to see the task manager i find that the InventorViewCompute.exe are still computing and if i don't kill those processes,by forcing them, they still working without stopping.

I've read here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=12107410&linkID=9242018 that the InventorViewCompute.exe should stop working when i close the program.

I've also have download the sp1 for inventor 2012 and also the one (sp2) for the Factory Design Suite Ultimate 2012.

what can i do to resolve my problem?

Hopefully any of you can help me.

Best regards,

Francesca A.
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: Fra.Anz

Hi Francesca,

This is the first time we are hearing of this problem (and there is always a first time :).

InventorViewCompute.exe is a child process of Inventor.exe and must and should terminate when Inventor.exe is stopped. Its possible that it may be calculating something and may not immediately terminate, but ultimately it should and must as the main processes has exited.

Can you elaborate a little bit on the problem?

1. Did you verify Inventor.exe has gone from task manager?

2. How long did you wait before you had to force kill InventorViewCompute.exe?

3. Are you on Win7 or XP or Vista? Can you post your system resources?

Can you please send us your dataset (IAM, IPT, IDW) so that we can investigate? You can reach me at: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 21

Hello,

I noticed this process too. It stays there although Inventor is closed. 

I am on WIN7 64 bit.

Dan

Message 4 of 21
davebruulsema6944

I have experienced a related issue.  Working with a moderate size idw (3005 occurences, 714 open documents), when the model updates the views recompute and it can take a really long time (1/2 hr).  This morning it was looking to do it again but I saved and shut down Inventor.  3 instances of InventorViewCompute.exe were listed in the task manager (possibly corresponding with 3 views that were in progress of updating?) and they were generating ~50 hard faults per second each.  It took about 5 minutes for the 3 instances to shut down after Inventor shut down.  I did not notice an instance of Inventor.exe at the time but I didn't explicitly look for it either.

After everything shut down, I restarted Inventor 2012 and opened the idw again.  3 views updated within 30 seconds.

System resources:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description  Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name xxx

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Precision M6400
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9400  @ 2.53GHz, 2535 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 11-Aug-2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name xxx

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.19 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.0 GB
Page File Space 7.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Message 5 of 21
andreasenv

I had the same problem today. I remembered that my collegue had the same problem and got adviced by some support guy to unclick the "Enable background updates" in Application options/Drawing window (restart computer and open the drawings again). My theory why this "works" is because before i did this all the InventorViewCompute.exe threads was working against pagefile.sys wich ofcourse resides on my harddrive and therefore all threads used very little cpu but a lot of swappings on the harddrive. After disabling the background update it seems to do all in memory instead and therefore much faster. If this is true you should really fix it Autodesk..

Message 6 of 21
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: andreasenv

InventorViewCompute.exe should behave just like any other windows processes. If you are running low on RAM, then it would indeed go to the pagefile, however, if you have plenty of RAM, it will use available RAM to execute itself until the system starts running low. The process has no control over when to use RAM or pagefile as far as runtime memory goes.

However, the process needs to cache data and may do so either in memory or in the pagefile depending on the data size. Only in rare cases have we seen this to be a bottleneck. It's true that going to the hard drive does become cumbersome.

Those rare cases are when your model might be extremely big or has lots and lots of bodies (threads, composite surfaces, shrinkwrap and /or translated data). For example, just unchecking "thread display" will speed up your drawing views if you have lots and lots of threaded holes.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any further questions.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 7 of 21
andreasenv

In short this was not a special assembly (not many threads at all) nor heavy. I guess this might be a rare case. However this is not a reportable "error" so i wonder how many just curse over their "slow computer" and leave it on over the night. So why doesnt the process that updates the views when i disabled the "Enable backround updates" think it should use the pagefile, or atleast does the whole update very much faster.. does that process have better info of available RAM?

Message 8 of 21
Shiva_Sundaram

Hi,

Thanks for your questions. I guess I am interested in finding out whether InventorViewCompute.exe is really paging and is hence is slow? We have seen that the process can get slower in those special cases i had mentioned earlier particularly with read/writes. It would be helpful to get the dataset (assy, parts, idw) and analyze it before coming to any meaningful conclusion.

Would it be possible for you to send me your files? You can contact me at sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

If its too big to zip up under 8 MB, I would suggest that you either split the zips or I can setup an ftp site for you.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 9 of 21
andreasenv

Im sorry, but I cant send you those files due to restrictions. As i said, there wasnt anything pequliar about the drawing/assembly except(!) that they were earlier versions. So maybe there was some migration business going on?

Message 10 of 21
andreasenv

And yes, the process was really using the pagefile..

Message 11 of 21
dodrain

Same problem here...  Mismanagment of memory-issues by Autodesk? 

Message 12 of 21
Shiva_Sundaram

Hi,

I guess some more questions around this to help understand the issue:

1. How large is the model? i.e. number of parts/bodies/occurrences?

2. Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? 

3. How much RAM do you have?

4. Do you have many drawing views computing (lots of InventorViewCompute.exe's running in parallel?)

5. How did you measure page faults? Soft or hard? Soft may be ok. Hard would affect performance

Usually, Hard disk thrashing happens if the OS needs more memory than whats available in RAM. 

Again, if you can even send me a subset of the model that would help identify what the issue. Without the actual dataset it would be very difficult to guess whats happening. All datasets are kept confidential of course 🙂

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 13 of 21
dimitri
in reply to: dodrain

I have had the same problem here and still no fix. It happened in a very large assembly with 8GB of RAM. Monitoring the process I could see that the memory was full and the system started paging. There was 5 different views and they were updating (that green mark was placed). 

As the assembly was very large, we reduced it by transforming subassemblies in only fourteen IPT files, but it was still large with the total amount of 315 MB. Ok, my old notebook Precision M90 (Windows 7-64 + Quadro FX 2700M + 4GB RAM) do not even open that assembly... But the desktop described before on this message was much more powerful Windows 7-64 + ATI HD 6870 + 8GB RAM and opened beatifully. But the designer was advised that the InventorViewCompute.exe for each view should be closed manually after closing the drawing or quiting Inventor, that is because we have seen that those proccess remain running after Inventor is closed when the system is paging.

And yes, the designer got that device to close processes manually because his desktop was freezing all the time due to the paging proccess...

Message 14 of 21
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: dimitri

Hi Dimitri,

Would it be possible for you to share your dataset (parts/assemblies) with us. All data shared with Autodesk will be kept confidential and not shared outside of Autodesk. You can zip it and send it to me at

sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

or I can setup a secure ftp site for you if you like.

We can try to reproduce the problem here and see what's causing the InventorViewCompute processes to keep running. We make every delibrate attempt in the software to stop those processes if Inventor is shut down and my  guess is that perhaps the processes are caught up doing something computationally intensive that they dont stop until they are done.

How long did you wait before terminating those processes?

If you can send us the dataset, we would be very happy to investigate it and would of course help us solve this for everyone in general.

Thanks and much appreciate it.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 21
dimitri
in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

hi Shiva Sundaram,

I upgraded the system RAM to 16GB and Windows stopped paging on HD. Now I can see CPU using all of the 8 cores by 65%, which is good (it was 0~1% before the upgrade). I also could measure the time InventorViewCompute.exe takes to resolve the views, it took about 30 min. That is the time it takes to resolve, no matter the drawings are openned or not.

The files are very large, even if I zip them. So, could you configure an FTP so that I can upload it?

Message 16 of 21
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: dimitri

Hi Dimitri,

Can I take a raincheck on the dataset. I want to investigate this issue first with some very large datasets and try to see if I can reproduce this. If I can, then I may not need your dataset. If I cannot reproduce it, I will ask you for it.

I would need your email address though to create the FTP site. Can you please send me a private email to sundarsATautodeskDOTcom.

Thanks for your help.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 21
benemt
in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

Was this resolved?  I am experiencing similiar problems: extremely slow drawing compute time, InventorViewCompute.exe lingering hafter Inventor.exe is gone.

Message 18 of 21
machiel.veldkamp
in reply to: benemt

So... I'm updating 29 views and my PC has been running for almost 2 whole days now..
Inventorviewupdate is 3.2TB large now (page faults)

I'm guessing that can be solved in the future, right Autodesk?

Capture.PNG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes. We are still looking at this issue.

One question I have for Machiel - is Inventor still alive and the views are computing? Or did you shut down Inventor and the view computes are still chugging away.

Update:

I see the image above still showing Inventor.exe running. This is a different issue and probably datasets specific - Could this be a very large dataset with many surface bodies or composite bodies? Are there shrinkwrap parts in the dataset?

thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 20 of 21

Hi Shiva,

Well.. no actually I left in on in the weekend and I saw that the PDF was created at saturday 17:00 PM. 
Sidenote: my PC rebooted afterwards cuz my PC wasn't logged in and no programms were started. 

I have to admit: the idw I was exporting is a big one! its 10 sheets with on every sheet a ton of details. But then again.... My PC chould be able to handle that. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report