Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor warns about files missing from a project. How to fix this?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mailswamp
773 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor warns about files missing from a project. How to fix this?

Autodesk Inventor keeps warning me about missing files and undetermined file references in my drawings.

I accidentaly deleted all the bolts in my project by deleting a folder, generated by Inventor.

Than I redrew all the bolts. Inventor keeps warning me about those missing component references.

Is there a file for me to go and modify or some other way to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Vladimir Tolskiy.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Zijun_Wang
in reply to: mailswamp

Mailswamp,

when you open the drawing file, were you seeing following dialog?

if yes, please resolve the link through click open button to find the right document you will link in drawing file.

Resolve Link

Zijun Wang
Sr. SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD MFG
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8
mailswamp
in reply to: Zijun_Wang

As I said, I deleted the bolt files and simply drew the new bolts. Files don't exist. They are gone.

Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr

yeah and he is saying to go find the new files when that dialog comes up...

or restore from your backup... (please tell me you have backups... if not the first thing I would do is STOP and get a backup program in place) Our files are backed up multiple times on site and saved on a remote NAS too incase this place burns to the ground.

or when that dialog comes up skip all the referenced files so you can open the model then delete all the unresolved/missing parts and replace with your new ones...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
mailswamp
in reply to: mcgyvr

I already drew the new bolts.

There is no need to back up this very often.

I just don't want the system to look for those files anymore. How do I do that?

Message 6 of 8
mcgyvr

as stated above a few times...you need to resolve the references by opening the model (iam file) and select the new bolts that are replacing the lost folders bolts. That image that is shown above shows you exactly what will be displayed when you open the assembly. It is searching for the bolts and cannot find them so it is asking you where the new files are.. Point to the new bolts and thats it...

and get a proper backup procedure as clearly there is a need to backup often.. you just proved its needed..

ooohhh..just had an earthquake as I was typing..5.8 on the scale 50 or so miles from me in Richmond Virginia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 8
Zijun_Wang
in reply to: mcgyvr

Just as mcgyvr mentioned, we need to use above dialog to find your new bolts files, then the old ones will be replaced in drawing file, and no mssing warning bother you any more. Have a try.

Zijun Wang
Sr. SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD MFG
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
mailswamp
in reply to: Zijun_Wang

Thank you, everybody.

I slowly linked missing file prompts to the namesake files that were scattered around the project folder.

Problem solved!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report