Inventor General Discussion

Valued Mentor
pcunningham1
Message 11 of 54 (4,258 Views)

Re: Inventor vs SolidWorks - Which is better.

12-21-2009 11:20 AM in reply to: sprayvent
That's funny. Just last week we discovered that one of our vendors was doing something similar - they were actually printing and scaling artwork pdf's that were provided to their designer by their sales rep, and re-drawing them in autocad. We had originally provided the sales rep with autocad files, but he was converting them to pdf and not forwarding the cad files.

Anyway, if you have the same software as your main customer, then at least you may have a chance at receiving native files you can work with.
Paul Cunningham
IV2008
*Dennis Jeffrey
Message 12 of 54 (4,258 Views)

12-21-2009 11:35 AM in reply to: sprayvent
I would agree with Paul.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
sprayvent
Message 13 of 54 (4,258 Views)

12-21-2009 12:21 PM in reply to: sprayvent
Most of our customers are D.O.D. and will not release 3D models only pdf's.. The issue of just having to have solid works should not be very strong. I love my Inventor and I already have lots of legacy models and drawing, beside I want something to be usable with AutoCAD without a lot of trouble of tranlations and so on. The most 3D models we get are from Pro/E. Which about 30 or so a year so far. We hundreds of pdf's from our main customer and we have to draw everything from the pdf file either is AutoCAD, Inventor, and one guy uses SigmaNest software almost exclusively to draw his parts.
Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 14 of 54 (4,258 Views)

12-23-2009 07:52 AM in reply to: sprayvent
I have used both (I switched from SW2009 to Inv) and while I'm not very impressed with Inventor at the moment my opinion is that Inventor is still better. I find that Inventor crashes less and has less bugs, but still has its problems.

If you do end up getting SW dont install a new release until at least service pack 3 (https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/29764?tstart=0), and check your drawings carefully, it has had bugs in the past where drawing views dont display properly and BOM can have wrong info - looks like still a problem today https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/29781?tstart=0

Have a read of the comments on this blog, the one by Matt Lombard who is the author of the Solidworks Bible speaks for itself.
http://designsmarter.typepad.com/devonsowell/2008/12/2009-solidworks.html

Also according to Matt Lombards blog SW is going to drop XP so if youre not planning to move to Windows 7 yet then that might be a problem.
http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=2581

Dare I say it, if you're only converting simple sheet metal stuff then have a look at Alibre. Its so cheap and its sheet metal looks ok.
Distinguished Contributor
cadman777
Message 15 of 54 (4,259 Views)

02-17-2010 05:04 AM in reply to: sprayvent
Sam,

I learned SW about a year ago, and have since pushed it to its limits like I do IV.
This is what I found:

1a. SW is has an excellent core module (e.g., sketching, feature creation, down-line editing with minimal 'broken' sketches).
1b. IV sketches break all the time, and it costs a lot of time and $.

2a. IV manages Large assembies simply and quickly through the BOM, wherea;
2b. SW sucks at Large assembly work-flow and management, b/c the BOM works only on simple text data and pre-programmed 'iproperties'. Also, SW has serious problems managing 'metadata' (the key function of intelligent properties). It's hell managing a large assembly in SW.

3a. IV was designed for general modeling, what SW calls AEC.
3b. SW was designed for creating intricate parts (e.g., plastic parts, molds, multiple versions of the same part) and small assemblies.

4a. I use SW for complicated geometry small assemblies (like piping chutes and odd-shaped, multi-angled, standard shaped transitions.
4b. I use IV for large assemblies of standard parts and when I need to quickly get the job done via the BOM.

5a. SW has serious deficiencies in their metadata access and management, in their sheet metal module (like IV, it is good at doing simple transitions, but nothing complicated, and especially if you have to put weld preps on thick formed plate), in their BOM (that's a huge one for me), in their weldments & surfacing modules, in their Equation editor, and has a lot of time-eating issues w/their drawing module and options settings (plus other problems I won't go into).
5b. IV has serious problems in their core module, so that sketches always break down-line on weird shaped or multi-angled complex parts/assemblies. IV has other problems, but I won't waste time on them, b/c if you know how they screwed-up Acad over th years, you can imagine how they are screwing up IV (even though they add functions we need in each new release).

6a. IV tech support SUCKS. McNeel was the only tech I ever had that was competent (back in the mid 90's).
6b. SW tech support is EXCELLENT every time.

7a. It's easy to learn IV and apply the commands to a project work-flow, b/c the commands and options are consolidated under a few tools.
7b. It's easy to learn SW, but difficult to apply the commands, b/c the programe is 'feature-rich' but work-flow poor. You will find a LOT of commands in SW, but the developers scatter them all over the place, and they only work part-way on everything, so you need to learn which combination of commands works well for you on what problem you need to solve. You DEFINATELY WILL NEED TECH to learn how to apply commands to your non-simple part and assembly modeling (whick for me is 90% of the time)

8a. SW GUI is way more ergonomic than IV b/c they have most of what you usually use/need on the rmb.
8b. I noticed that every new release of IV requires more mouse clicks to accomplish the most basic commands in both Acad and IV (compared to the previous release).

I'm in the AEC world, so when there's a push to get the job done, I use IV every time, b/c in SW, the job takes at least 2x longer every time.

A key to SW is making sure you have your 'library' of parts already made. That takes time, b/c you make it as you go along on a job-by-job basis. You MUST set-up your 'templates' for part & assembly, or you're screwed.

There's more to say, and you are the only one who can decide what suits your applications the best.
I like having both, but if I was forced to choose, I'd buy IV for AEC type work, and SW for 'parts & pieces'.

'Good luck Mr. Phelps .... Chris Edited by: cadman777 on Feb 17, 2010 10:40 AM
... Chris
IV 2010 Suite
Digital Storm PC:
EVGA & Intel components
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
cadman777
Message 16 of 54 (4,259 Views)

02-17-2010 05:07 AM in reply to: sprayvent
Sam,
I guess you answered your own question:
You own IV, so buy IV for everyone else, so you can have a seamless transition in your 2d-to-3d world.
Best to abide by the KISS principle.
Cheers ... Chris
... Chris
IV 2010 Suite
Digital Storm PC:
EVGA & Intel components
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
WayneTaylor
Message 17 of 54 (3,481 Views)

06-01-2012 07:30 AM in reply to: cadman777

After spending 15 years with SW and 1 year with inventor I would say SW is much more cost effective with engineering time.

The inventor sketcher is horrible compared to SW.

FProcp
Message 18 of 54 (3,425 Views)

06-01-2012 06:11 PM in reply to: WayneTaylor

It's very sad that Autodesk seems to keep adding new features but doesn't focus on getting the basics RIGHT!!!.

It is very annoying when sometimes you try to make changes in sketches, then weird things happen and you have to spend much time getting the sketch right (stable) again.

Ferrari cars haven't changed that much over the years in the addition of new gadgets. But every nut, washer, split pin, etc. as been so thoroughly well designed that it all works together like a swiss watch. That's why people love them.

Franc
inventor :-)
Contributor
mikeweb74
Message 19 of 54 (2,938 Views)

12-05-2012 07:46 AM in reply to: sprayvent

Hands down SolidWorks is better!!!! Inventor is like solidworks for dummies. I ran SolidWorks 98-2007.

DADA, Citified Drafter

CSWP,

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 20 of 54 (2,931 Views)

12-05-2012 07:57 AM in reply to: mikeweb74

mikeweb74 wrote:

Hands down SolidWorks is better!!!! Inventor is like solidworks for dummies. I ran SolidWorks 98-2007.

DADA, Citified Drafter

CSWP,

I guess that I am a dummy.

But what is a "Citified Drafter"?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube