Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor to Excell linking: possible to add more of something?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
codycasale
627 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor to Excell linking: possible to add more of something?

I have a 3d model assembly of a door linked to multiple excell spread sheets. The door has vertical and horizontal members that create the frame.

As the door size gets bigger, the frame has more horizontal and vertical members.

I can easily change the spreadsheet values, which will then change the length, width and height of the door, but I am trying to figure out a way to link a spreadsheet function to the model that will allow me to change the amount of horizontal or vertical members needed, and have the model automatically update with these members?

The frame is built with the frame generator- so the skeleton of the frame is a 2d sketch. I am not simply adding members using the "place" command.

I thought that maybe if I went into the sketch, I could create a rectangular pattern in which the value for the amount of features to be patterned could be linked to a spreadsheet value.

the problem with this, is that Inventor allows me to "list parameters" in the "count" value box, but once I select a parameter, the count value box turns red because the parameter's title is in letters and not numbers.

I tried to then make the title of my parameter a number, but then for some reason inventor wont link a excell value that has a start cell that is a number.

Any idea how I could do this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
swordmaster
in reply to: codycasale

From what you describe this should be easy to do. Is it possible for you to share your excel spreadsheet.

Also which version of Inventor are you running?

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 3 of 6

You're on the right track using pattern. Without seeing the assembly, I cannot say for sure if you would use pattern sketch, pattern features, or pattern components. 

I'm guessing that the Count field is red due to mismatched units (the parameter is length units (mm, in, etc) and count is expecting unitless (ul)). You can specify units in the Excel file, but I would skip the step of using Excel and set count = length / spacing. This will resolve the units issue and eliminate the need for Excel.

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 4 of 6
codycasale
in reply to: patrick.miller

Eliminate the need for excell totally?

The reason that we are linking a excell spreadsheet to our model is because we want to be able to update our door size very quickly to produce drawings for clients, and also for non inventor users to be able to do this without having a big knowledge of inventor.

I would like to show my model and excell spreadsheet somehow- is there a good FTP site that I could use to host it online? its about 13MB.

It saves so much time to have the model linked- because if a client wants 3d drawings of one of these doors in a different frame breakup or size- to manually build the frame and tracks to the correct length takes a while.

I am confused with what you are saying:

"but I would skip the step of using Excel and set count = length / spacing. This will resolve the units issue and eliminate the need for Excel."

How do I change the count to length/spacing? And what does that mean specifically?Are you saying that you can have the count value = some forum of units? (mm, in etc?) or what?

Message 5 of 6
patrick.miller

I was stating you did not need Excel to calculate the pattern. It now sounds like you are using it for other reasons, so let's ignore Excel for now.

To create the pattern, first create parameters called height (this is the height of the door) and spacing (distance between pattern members). When you create the pattern (sketch, feature, or component), enter "height / spacing" in the Count field and enter "spacing" in the Spacing field.

I attached a sample that's in Inventor 2013 (it's all I have installed) and a couple screenshots that hopefully describe it better. 

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 6 of 6
swordmaster

just post your excel, that will be a starting point Bruce Sword Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Associate Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Professional -------------------------------------------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail message, including all replies or forwarded messages connected herewith, is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you, the reader of this message, are not an intended recipient hereof, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible by return e-mail message or by telephone at (601) 425-3151. In addition, please delete the erroneously received message and any reply from your system and any device/media where the message is stored. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report