Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor telling me I edited a file that I didn't

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
KF090
335 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor telling me I edited a file that I didn't

This seems to happen intermittently for no reason that I can figure out.

When I open some assembly I will get a message to update the assembly and if I click 'YES' it then tells me that I need to check out some parts that haven't changed in months.

And the real kicker is that yesterday I didn't receive such a message.

This is getting really annoying now.  Any way to resolve this issue?

ETA:  Inventor Pro 2014 SP2

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: KF090

welcome to Inventor.. I've never understood exactly whats going on behind the scenes that causes Inventor to think files have been modified. 

I get that all the time but just don't know exactly whats causing it. 

I usually just say "yes" save/update that and move on and its never been a problem but it is confusing. 

I DON'T use Vault BTW

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Are these "unchanged" parts solely independent of other components? Is it possible, they have some sort of link to other components (derive, linked parameter, iLogic rule, and adaptive)?

If these "unchanged" parts do not have any association to other components, the behavior you decribed seems wrong to me. Please attach an example here or send it to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
KF090
in reply to: johnsonshiue

johnsonshiue,

These parts have no links to any other components.

I attached a ZIP file with the assembly that I'm having this issue with. 

Thanks,
Keith

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Thanks for sharing the example! The behavior does seem a bit odd. I think it has something to do with the fact that one part was last saved in R2014 but the top level assembly and other parts were last saved in R2012.

Based on the time stamp, it seems like you might have opened the assembly and saved it on Inventor R2012, while it also references a part saved in R2014. I don't think this is a good workflow to begin with. Inventor is not yet capable of properly reading or processing files generated in later releases. Sometimes you might not see an issue but mostly it could lead to weird behavior and even corruption. If this is what you have been doing, I would recommend you stop doing it. If it is not the workflow you follow, could you explain why the assembly was saved in R2012 and it references a R2014 part?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
KF090
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The reason some parts are saved in 2012 is because that is the version of software we were running before we went to 2014.

We don't save files in previous versions of Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report