Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor: pattern around object edge

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
andrewokeefe
467 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor: pattern around object edge

I am having a problem with something I think should be easy.  In the attached file, I want Pattern 4 (and some subsequent patterns) to follow the edge of the arch.  Simple, right?  But for some reason I cannot select the whole edge of the arch as a single edge in the pattern dialogue.  Does this have something to do with my initial sketch of the arch for Extrusion 1 (Sketch 1)?  Can I create a sketch based on Extrusion 1 that will have a continuous edge for pattern to follow?

Thanks for any advice. 

-Andrew

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: andrewokeefe

Ahhhh,
I worked out solution in 2014 only to discover that you are using 2013...

I will try to remember to post 2013 solution on Monday (if someone else doesn't jump in here).

You are going to have trouble with the way you created the Loft.  How will that be machined (can you show me the tool)?

When I do show you the solution - I am going to recommend that you push out the parts because the number of patterned features is going to get large (since this thing is symmetrical I think I will cut it in half and mirorr the resulting body(ies).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
andrewokeefe
in reply to: JDMather

Mr. Mather,

Thanks for the response.

The machining is through MasterCam, High Speed Hybrid toolpath, in foam, 1/2" ball end mill, if that answers your question. It will be done as a build up. We've already done a sample of the straight section and are very happy with the results. Now I just have to get the features to pattern around the curve! Didn't anticipate this problem. I've patterned around curves before and foolishly thought this would be simple.

I've noticed that some lofts don't pattern well, for instance the divots in the outer section of molding won't pattern at all, not even in a straight line. Working on a work around for that or any advice appreciated.

I will update to 2014 as soon as this project is done.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report