Inventor General Discussion

andrewokeefe
Message 1 of 3 (195 Views)

Inventor: pattern around object edge

195 Views, 2 Replies
10-04-2013 11:00 AM

I am having a problem with something I think should be easy.  In the attached file, I want Pattern 4 (and some subsequent patterns) to follow the edge of the arch.  Simple, right?  But for some reason I cannot select the whole edge of the arch as a single edge in the pattern dialogue.  Does this have something to do with my initial sketch of the arch for Extrusion 1 (Sketch 1)?  Can I create a sketch based on Extrusion 1 that will have a continuous edge for pattern to follow?

Thanks for any advice. 

-Andrew

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 3 (183 Views)

Re: Inventor: pattern around object edge

10-04-2013 11:45 AM in reply to: andrewokeefe

Ahhhh,
I worked out solution in 2014 only to discover that you are using 2013...

I will try to remember to post 2013 solution on Monday (if someone else doesn't jump in here).

You are going to have trouble with the way you created the Loft.  How will that be machined (can you show me the tool)?

When I do show you the solution - I am going to recommend that you push out the parts because the number of patterned features is going to get large (since this thing is symmetrical I think I will cut it in half and mirorr the resulting body(ies).

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
andrewokeefe
Message 3 of 3 (169 Views)

Re: Inventor: pattern around object edge

10-04-2013 02:05 PM in reply to: JDMather
Mr. Mather,

Thanks for the response.

The machining is through MasterCam, High Speed Hybrid toolpath, in foam, 1/2" ball end mill, if that answers your question. It will be done as a build up. We've already done a sample of the straight section and are very happy with the results. Now I just have to get the features to pattern around the curve! Didn't anticipate this problem. I've patterned around curves before and foolishly thought this would be simple.

I've noticed that some lofts don't pattern well, for instance the divots in the outer section of molding won't pattern at all, not even in a straight line. Working on a work around for that or any advice appreciated.

I will update to 2014 as soon as this project is done.

Thanks again.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube