Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor not updating drawing per 3d modle changes.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
not2013
4891 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor not updating drawing per 3d modle changes.

As this software continues to change it's behavior of function over nite.  I am assuming due to new updates in inventor.  I can no longer get my drawing to update per changes made to the model. This started about 2 weeks ago.

Change are completed perfectly, I open the drawing and it still has the old model represented.  When I right on the view and open the model.  Model contains all of my changes, but the drawing does not seem to care or notice that changes have been made and saved. I even closed inventor and reopened.

Even though I'm paid by the hour I really do not want to delete all views and start all over.

So the only answer is to delete all views replace them re dimensioin them and of course add any time consuming sketches.

10-15 minutes change now is going to take 3 hours.  WHY can't autodesk make a stable piece of software?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cbenner
in reply to: not2013

Is there a question in there somewhere, or did you just want to vent your frustrations?  Did you want someone to help you figure out why your views are not updating?  I can all but guarentee there is a simple reason.

Message 3 of 15
not2013

Not unless this is part of the new way with autodesk, then no there is not a question.  THIS is simply a notice to the world that changes are going to take much longer with inventor than any other 3D spoftware available.  SO IT IS A WARNING TO THOSE WHOM COME HERE TO SEE IF THEY SHOULD BUY THIS SOFTWARE OR NOT.

This started about 2 weeks ago.  Just out of the blue due to an update I would assume.

However if this is not the way the software is supposre to work then the implied questions are:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH INVENTOR NOW?

CAN IT EVER WORK NORMALLY AGAIN?

WHAT CHANGED TO STOP DRAWINGS FROM UPDATING?

thank you

Message 4 of 15
mpatchus

OK, since there is no question, just a warning ... I'll defer updating possible solutions.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 15
not2013

Your reply consedes that inventor is unstable and will never work properly again.

I am not surprised!

This helps in my proposal to replace inventor with a more stable 3D software.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 15
neil.hamilton

My drawing will not update. Is there an easy way to fix this? I am using Inventor 2013, installed in approximately March of 2013. What can I do? I am not savvy enough to run code like some other posts commented. How do I the views in my drawing marked by lightning bolts to update? I have tried closing the drawing and re-opening, and that used to work but no longer. I do NOT have defer updated checked. Is there a simple and easy solution to this?

"If wishes were horses,
we'd all be eating steak!"
Message 7 of 15
mpatchus
in reply to: neil.hamilton

Drawing Update.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 8 of 15
neil.hamilton
in reply to: mpatchus

I tried both update options at the very top of the screen ( there is a new icon, then file folder, then a diskette, then a left arrow, then a right arrow, then a print icon, then a circle with a left pointing arrow, THEN both update icons)...by fail I mean a lightning bolt remains next to every single view in my model view part tree on the left side (or whatever you actually call it.)...I ALSO went to the manage tab and hit update all sheets...still all lightning bolts...so , what do I do?

Sorry did not work. Also, I cannot send you the file it is proprietary. It MIGHT be the case that defered updates is turned on.
"If wishes were horses,
Message 9 of 15
mpatchus

Are you working on an assembly?

If so, most likely your assembly model itself requires updating.

RMB on the model in your drawing browser window and select OPEN.

When the assembly opens, update and save the assembly.

Close the assembly window and the drawing should update.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 10 of 15
neil.hamilton

Dear Mike-
I was working on a multi body model (without benefit of an actual class) that had a bend and 4 different versions ("configurations" in Solidworks-ese)...
After creating a drawing, it appears this part started creating a file folder of its own and extra versions with things like .000001l.ipt in the name..I was trying to create a stock material for RFQ and then bending it and adding corner pieces to make it appear the outside bend was actually a square corner (as though the part had a large 90 degree kerf cut on the inside of the knee, and a nice sharp corner on the outside (anterior) of the knee where the knee "cap" would be....hope that's clear as mud....all these complicated features were not effectively and efficiently created by me so I deleted all old versions and simply made a new stock part for RFQ and will worry about the in-assemlbly part later.

My question for you is this-if I have a square pipe I wish to cut out a 90 degree chunk then bend the inside so I have a nice,square , sharp outside corner-like a picture frame, think picture frame-but wish to make an RFQ drawing that is the same exact part but without a "bend"-how exactly should I do this? "Bend" seems to make things a bit problematic, causing "confusion and delay" as Sir Topham Hatt would say....
"If wishes were horses,
Message 11 of 15

OH and it is a multibody part in a drawing, no assembly yet....and it should be multibody so I can give the supplier a cutlist of the "multuiple square pipes" of differing properties will be "welded together" into a single part we will then cut and bend-but only the outside skin will bend , so the outside bend radius will be tiny...is this even possible? I do NOT want to make two different parts...ideas?
"If wishes were horses,
Message 12 of 15

OH! I could simply do what I described-make the 90 degree kerf cut, THEN bend it along the front of the knee-hence, tiny outside radius! B
"If wishes were horses,
Message 13 of 15
mpatchus

Something like this?

HAMILTON.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 14 of 15
neil.hamilton

Great! No cut was needed. Looked like you put the bend line on the outside of the knee and merely bent it the other way? I will try that-if that is how you did it. Where exactly is the bend line? At the outside vertex of the bend?
"If wishes were horses,
Message 15 of 15
mpatchus

Bend line placed on the interior wall.

Attached is the part if you want to look at it.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report