Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor modeling instructions

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
revitworkbench
790 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor modeling instructions

Hi, I am trying to make a table top that will flip over and i need some weird parts. I am a revit user, but i want to get better at inventor. So I made this part in revit (see attached) and i exported it to dwg. the problem is that autocad doesnt recognize it as 3d printable, and neither does inventor. So i guess my question in 2 fold: How do I make something from revit into an stl file (3d printable)? And how in the world do you make this part in inventor? (see attached) If you have a good you tube video or something for more advanced modeling methods, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: revitworkbench

Not familiar with Revit at all.  Will it save as .stp or .sat?  If so, read that format into Inventor.

Message 3 of 8
revitworkbench
in reply to: karthur1

No I cant. I simply export it as a dwg, but when I load it into inventor, I cannot get an STL file out of it??
Message 4 of 8
karthur1

check youtube...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-WDJvBe1rU

At around 2:20 in this video, he exports out to SAT.  That is what you need to read this into Inventor...... not DWG.

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Just out of curiosity - attach the Revit dwg file here.

(did you set the Options on Export/Import)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
revitworkbench
in reply to: JDMather

it wont let me it gives me the error message "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

Message 7 of 8

Hi

Try this.

Start Inventor then browse to your dwg file and select it. Do NOT click 'Open' instead select the options button that should now be active and change the option from open to import. This will convert you dwg to an ipt file that you can save. To create an STL file go to Save Copy As and change the file type to STL.

Regards

Martin

Edit : Don't know what version of Inventor you have but 2014 can open / import rvt with out needing to go through dwg. Just change the file type drop down in the Inventor 'open' dialogue box.

Inventor 2023
Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@michaelmead wrote:

it wont let me it gives me the error message "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

There has been a problem lately with attaching files here.

Right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report