Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor locks up for several minutes when altering assembly...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
hheng1111
1260 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor locks up for several minutes when altering assembly...

I have an assembly I've been working on for a while. It was fine until after opening it one day, any changes I make cause inventor to freeze up for several minutes before completing whatever it is that I was trying to accomplish. Most of the changes are with constraints (adding parts and constraining them or changing constraints that were already in place), but I even tried to just rotate a part and Inventor locked up. I'll get the green loading bar at the bottom right corner, and it will run through a couple of times before it stops. The freezing seems to be tied to this assembly only, but I'm trying to find any other way to fix the problem before having to completely restart the assembly. I've worked with bigger assemblies before and have never run into this problem. Any help is much appreciated!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, Inventor Pro 2014.

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: hheng1111

You most likely have at least one constraint that is causing this issue.

Suppress a part or sub-assembly or constraint one-at-a-time and see if everything suddenly starts working as expected.

There is usually an area of the assembly where you can "suspect" the problem to occur, so it might only take a few trials to isolate the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
blair
in reply to: JDMather

Just use the Show Sick Constraint, it will show all bad constraints in the model window.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 10
hheng1111
in reply to: blair

Thanks for the help so far guys. I've been suppressing parts and assemblies but still haven't found the problem. The "Show Sick" option is faded out and can't be clicked, so I guess my problem isn't with a constraint afterall?

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
Message 5 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

Constraints are still calculated for parts and assemblies that are suppressed.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 10
L.van.Gorsel

Hi,

This hasn't to do with sick constraints. We've experianced the same issues with many (sub)assemblies. I've put a dataset thru to the Dev team, and one of the issues they found is problems with the material and Appearences libraries.

Do you use a custom made Material and/or Appearence library?

Could you post those adslib files and a ipj file?

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Green check.png  Please mark "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013, 2014 & 2015 Certified Professional
Message 7 of 10
hheng1111
in reply to: L.van.Gorsel

I don't use any custom material or appearance libraries. I've been messing around with the assembly and found that after deleting a subassembly, the issue was fixed. The problem is the subassembly I deleted is the main body/frame of the assembly, and everything is constrained to it. This subassembly actually came from a previous project but is being slightly modified for the new project, and there was never a problem in the old project.

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
Message 8 of 10
JDMather

Can you attach the sub here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
mrattray

You need to make sure there aren't any unresolved file references (the question mark of death), and that there aren't any constraint errors.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 10
hheng1111
in reply to: mrattray

It turns out there was a problem with a sketch for another part that was constrained to the frame. It was odd because I hadn't even altered that part or its sketch since the problem started. Once I fixed the sketch, the freezing issue was fixed. Thanks for the help guys! I can finally get back to work on this thing...

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report