Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor iPart Tables in assemblies? Is This what I need to be doing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dustinr91
1992 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor iPart Tables in assemblies? Is This what I need to be doing

Hey guys and gals,

I'm having a little bit of a issue. I'm trying to take multiple parts of the same type and make them into one .ipt I began doing this and It seemed to be working fine. When I put those grouped .ipts into an .iam, Inventor creates a Subfolder of each .ipt and fills it with each part from that group and now those created ipts are unique unlinked parts (unlinked to the group ipt). I'm trying to reduce our file count and link our .ipts and .idws/.dwgs so this Inventor file creator results in the opposite of what I'm looking for. My question now is is there any way to modify this process  to work the way I need it to or is there a completely different way that I should be doing this? Thanks for the help

-Dustin

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
harco
in reply to: dustinr91

If the parts are geometrically different then there will need to be a separate part for each variation which is what Inventor does by creating the subfolder.

These parts are children of the parent therefore if you change the parent the children will update to reflect that change.

You may think the parts look unlinked but they are derived from the parent, try putting a hole in the parent and it will appear in all the children(unless you suppress it in a row).

It's the same as giving someone in the workshop one drawing and expecting 3 different parts, it won't happen, if you want any variation you need a new part number and new drawing.

One unique part, one part number and one drawing.

Or you can mark up a drawing and enjoy the resulting chaos.

Message 3 of 5
dustinr91
in reply to: harco

What if the only difference in the .aim is the orientation or the rotation of a part but those units would have different unit numbers would it be okay to use iAssemblies in the same way?

Message 4 of 5
harco
in reply to: dustinr91

If the parts are identical then use the same part but orient as required in the assembly.

If you say they will have different unit numbers that suggests to me a different part number.

I can't say definitely as I don't know your setup.

To be able to control parts you need to identify the differences and any part with a unique feature or property needs a unique part number.

The position/orientation of a part in an assembly is not a feature or property of the part but of the assembly.

The same part can be used numerous times in an assembly, but each occurrence will be given an occurrence number which will be held as a record of that part in that assembly, this is not really an advantage for BOM use, merely an identifier in the assembly .

iAssemblies give multiple configurations of multiple parts, as far as I can see(haven't used them much) they act like normal assemblies with positional representations but with the added function of part or sub assy suppression without the hassle of LOD's.

These would not reduce your file count as they still rely on the parts being present.

You may want to investigate multi body solids, these seem to have benefits for different configurations but I can't say specifcally, I have only read suggestions for their use in other posts on here.

Hope this sheds a little light.

Message 5 of 5
Indentor
in reply to: harco

If the component parts are unique, no matter how similar they should have separate files.  Inventor just forces you to use proper data mgmt this way.  If you don't need to track or reference the children then derive a part from the assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report