Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor fails to follow all assembly updates at IDW of mid to big files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Orest_iy
534 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor fails to follow all assembly updates at IDW of mid to big files

Hello

I use IDW file as “fine” checker of my assemblies design. Sometimes it is much easier to see general picture in variety of spots and set dimensions to check the designed assembly using IDW file.

Working within mid to big assemblies Inventor mostly fails to follow the opened assembly IDW file with actual assembly. When switch from assembly to IDW Inventor may indicate the update sign at IDW but finally did not update all changes. After the “Update” sign has been used there is no any chance to force Inventor to make one more update. I mean there is no any manual update tool or way to force one more update. The only one way is to close the IDW and open it again. It quite time consuming process.

The second problem opened IDW file is automatically updates somewhere in background and in most cases makes troubles of changing parameters in assembly or subassemblies since it somehow can catch up changes first when it opened but not active. User cannot prolong working without either updating IDW or closing it. Either way it takes too much time.

Please advise the could be some ways to manually force IDW update and to postpone IDW files from automatically update in background?

Best regards,

Orest Yavtushenko

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: Orest_iy

You could use the Defer automatic updates to drawings:

Open a IDW file:  Tools>Optionsss>Document Setting>Defer Updates check box

Defer automatic updates before opening a drawing:

1. Click Open.

2. Locate and select a drawing file.
  3. Click Options.
  4. Select Defer Updates in the File Open Options dialog box.
  5. Click OK

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
Orest_iy
in reply to: blair

It does not help much.

I have a "dead" drawing than but need one representing the actual picture in the moment I need.

I could just open and close IDW file but that takes too much time.

I check my assembly at the IDW at special designing moments it is very useful see example at pic attached.

If I can click on Defer in the IDW and than relese it in the moment I need it would be the solution in all respects.

Orest

Message 4 of 5
blair
in reply to: Orest_iy

Not really sure, what you want. I gave two ways of deferring updates. The first in the drawing, which holds the design until the Defer is unchecked. The second locks the drawing file from updating until changed.

Possibly check that you are current on all SP's and hot-fixes for your version of Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
Orest_iy
in reply to: blair

Yes I missed the advice two.

It works when IDW opened and Defer Updates either engaged or not as required.

But Defer Updates custom command on the panel doesnt work, see pic attached, clicking Tools-Document Settings-Drawing is too annoying, I could do it dozens times a day.

Could you please check your Defer Update custom comand? I use 2012.

Orest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report