Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor and showcase,,quick easy question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
drawvegas
1165 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor and showcase,,quick easy question

I am making tradeshow exhibit designs and many of my infills or panels need to have comapny logos and grahics on them.  I used to use Cinema 4D and now our company bought Inventor Suite. 

I see that both inventor and Showcase can do decals or materials.  I was just hoping that someone could tell me the best way to go about this part of my design process.   I want to use showcase for final rendering using raytracing and all the cool lighting,  I havent quite figured out the best way to add the graphics yet....The add image button in Inventor is usually grayed out in my assembly files, so I am thinking it might be easier to add them in showcase. 

Thanks

Todd

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
billyb
in reply to: drawvegas

Hi Todd,

Since you plan on using Showcase for final renders (good plan btw) you should not bother with decals in Inventor - they do not transfer into Showcase.

(In the future, please help responders by noting the software version you are using.)

Though this isn't the Showcase forum (go to http://area.autodesk.com for that), I can tell you a little about it here.

1. Open your inventor model in showcase.

2. Use the shortcut key 'M' to access the materials.

3. In the Material libraries, expand Showcase materials > Decals and drag/drop on into the document materials section above the library.

4. Rename the decal material you just dragged/dropped.

5. Right click the decal material and click Material Properties to edit it.

6. Here's where experimentation comes in...

- Change the decal image. If that doesn't look like what you want set it to color.

- In the Color section, click Image and navigate to and select the image you want as a decal.

- click close.

7. Select the face where the decal is to be placed.

8. Drag and drop the decal from the document materials to the selected face.

9. Select the decal you just placed. Use the handles to position it.

10. If the decal scale or proporation isn't right then click the star handle and edit the decal properties.

The attached is an example of doing the above. Ignore the titling on the cover as it is just an embossed feature and has nothing to do with the generation of the image.

-Bill

Bill Bogan
- Providing freelance visualization
- Inventor: Expert
- Revit: Novice and growing...
Message 3 of 4
drawvegas
in reply to: billyb

Thanks Bill,

FOr the record I am using the Autodesk 2013 professional suite.  So I have may options.  I was on the edge of using 3DS Max.  I know this would work well. But for some reason I would just like to use Showcase.   The reason I posted this in the Inventor Forum is because I wasn't sure where to apply the decals, in inventor or Showcase.  Inventor is our companies main goal.  We have invested tons of money to get all our designs made with automated pricing quotes.

Thanks for the advice.  It was exactly what I was hoping to hear,  and your example picture you sent was exactly what I was hoping to see.  I will take tutorials today to get up to speed on the material editor.

Thanks again one more time

Todd

Below is a little experimint I did.  It is 10x10 carpet, one graphic mural, one plexi-glass infill in the middle, and one blank white sintra infill.  let me know if you see something I could get better...I like the floor a lot in your file.

Message 4 of 4
billyb
in reply to: drawvegas

You're welcome Todd.

The floor isn't "mine" it is one of the Showcase environments. So, it's anybody's 🙂

Your modular design with various panels looks good. Have you tried using different lighting environments?

-Bill

Bill Bogan
- Providing freelance visualization
- Inventor: Expert
- Revit: Novice and growing...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report