Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor and Revit similarities?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
danielw88
938 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor and Revit similarities?

Hey Guys,

Ive started looking for someone to fill an Inventor 3d cad designer position at our facility and alot of the resumees ive been getting back has Revit as a 3D cad program that the applicants have used.

I have never used Revit and from my brief glances as to what the software does, it is, primarily, an Architectural tool and looks quite different from Inventor.

Anyone who has Inventor and Revit experience, what are the similarities between Inventor and Revit from a modelling point of view? If you know how to use Revit, will you be able to, proficiently, model in Inventor as well? Or is it like saying i use Autodesk AutoCAD so i can use Autodesk Inventor as well because they are both Autodesk software?

-daniel

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: danielw88

I've never used Revit, so I may not know what I'm talking about, but I would say no. In order to model PROFICIENTLY, you need to really know the software and all of it's specific workflows. If the guy's not an Inventor user than I really doubt he'll be able to model PROFICIENTLY regardless of his software background. Now, that's not to say that he couldn't figure it out if you gave him some seat time, an Inventor book, and YouTube access...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 4
pcrawley
in reply to: mrattray

The similarity between the two products ends at the manufacturers name on the box.  There isn't a single common feature or function between the products (other than perhaps the View Cube, and even that behaves slightly differently).

As you say - it is just like someone saying "I can use Inventor because I know AutoCAD".  Not even the basic principles are similar.  Inventor connects lots of individual files to make assemblies and drawings - Revit has one giant file that contains model and all the drawings.  They really are totally different products.  You'll quickly find out if you sit a Revit user in front of Inventor and ask them to draw something!

Peter
Message 4 of 4
danielw88
in reply to: pcrawley

Thanks for the input. That helps alot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report