Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor View crashes/closes when trying to view .IDW file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
828 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor View crashes/closes when trying to view .IDW file

When I try to view .idw files created by my engineers in Inventor 2012 using Inventor view 2012 I can view some pages of the .idw without issue. But when I try to open other pages it does nothing, and if I try to double-click on it again the program will close without warning. This is only happening on newly created files so mayeb it has something to do with the way the files are being saved?

I have tried installing Inventor view 2012 SP1 but to no avail.

We are trying to view the fiels in 32-bit Windows XP and the engineers are using 64-bit Windows 7 if that is fo any importance. Any help would be greatly appraciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
PACDrafting
in reply to: Anonymous

i would recommend using autodesk design review instead of inventor view.

Message 3 of 8
blair

Sounds like something wrong with the IDW. I would have the engineers do a Rebuild-All on the IDW first.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

I'm asking our engineers to perform a rebuild-all. Design Review wasn't able to open .IDW files for me

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

No change. 

Message 6 of 8
PACDrafting

You don't open idw files directly in Design Review.

You create a dwf file from your idw file and then open it in Design Review.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: PACDrafting

What's the difference between .IDW's and DWF's? My engineers don't want to start creating DWF files, so the best solution would be oen that fixes the IDW problem I'm haivng.

Message 8 of 8
mcgyvr

yep..common problem. Your computer just sucks..Smiley Happy

Using Inventor viewer with large files requires your computer to have a decent amount of RAM..

Go try to open the file with Inventor viewer on the engineers computer I bet it works just fine.

This is why DWF was recommended or what I do is simply create a PDF of each drawing and then anyone can open that PDF easily.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report