Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Student Edition 2013 Model Import Gone Wrong

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
PR_RamFan
315 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor Student Edition 2013 Model Import Gone Wrong

I have a project I'm working on and recently imported a model from grabcad.com.  Now, whenever I try and edit the project I get the message: "Cannot modify the library file *.iam Component *.iam is not checked out to you.  Edits are not allowed on this file."  the only solution I could find is purging the files, which I don't know how to do and it was supposedly removed in the 2013 update anyways.  I also get a message "The file is being saved in a library folder.  Because files in a library folder are not editable, once you save this file you will not be able to modify it.  Do you wish to continue?"  I have tried saving everywhere, even the C drive (which is obviously not a folder to begin with).  What have I done?  And how can I fix it?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi PR_RamFan,

Here's a very similar post at this link from just a few weeks ago, there are some suggestions that might help:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Edits-are-not-allowed-on-this-file/m-p/3766560#M4602...

I suspect that the import destination file location is causing an issue here, you might provide more information about the file paths, including your Inventor Project path, and maybe some screen shots.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3

They are both (importer and importee) saved in Public Documents, but I have tried moving them to every other place I can think of (Desktop, C Drive, flash drive, etc), Even after deleting the component that resulted in the problem, the message persisted.  Unfortunately, I have made no backups that don't have the same problem.  I think it's more of a Vault problem.  I was creating the project unconnected to Vault and the object I imported was "claimed."  I think somehow it took over my project.  Does that help at all?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report