Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Pro 2015 Slow Graphics

61 REPLIES 61
Message 1 of 62
dggwhite
4799 Views, 61 Replies

Inventor Pro 2015 Slow Graphics

Hello,

I just installed IV2015 and have really slow graphics. This is a large imported step file from our customer. Things I've tried, turned off textures, turned frame rate up to 20Hz, disabled antivirus, and changed display quality (medium seems better than rough). IV2014 would hide components to allow me to rotate the model but this doesn't do it.

System:

Dual E5-2650

Nvidia Quadro K4000 Driver 332.21

64 GB Ram

Win 7 64bit

Everything was fine in IV2014, now its supper choppy and unusable. Thanks for the help!

-doug

Tags (1)
61 REPLIES 61
Message 2 of 62
bob_holland
in reply to: dggwhite

Douglas,

Welcome to the forum.

Would you please create the following two reports off of one of the computers that is experiencing the issue:
Inventor Diagnostics
Microsoft DxDiag

I have attached two PDFs to assist you if needed.

Please attach the resulting TXT files to this post.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 3 of 62
dggwhite
in reply to: bob_holland

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've attached both diagnostics. Let me know if you need anything else. I appreciate your help.

-doug

Message 4 of 62
dggwhite

Any possible ideas? I still have to use 2014 because 2015 is too slow.

AutoCAD 2015 also has video problems, everything is blurry (except around the cursor) when hardware acceleration is turned on, turning it off returns the system to normal but performance is slow.

Are you supporting the Nvidia Quadro K4000 with your 2015 products?

Message 5 of 62
bob_holland

Douglas,

We are not get this type of report from others.

If you login as a different user do it make a difference?

Can you please try the following driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/74061/en-us

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 6 of 62
ANTONIODOMIT

I'm Having the same problem.

My graphics are realy slow.

I was perfect with 2014 is it word it to stic with such a slow graohics. I use my inventor on a HP 2760P and it use to work great until I change the inventor version. What can I do?.

Thank you

Antonio Domit

Message 7 of 62
LishuangLu

Hi all,

I'm running with a HP EliteBook 8770w with NVIDIA Quadro K4000 card, I don't see such performance problem.

Maybe this is a specific dataset issue, would you mind sharing the dataset wih me? So that I can look into the root of the problem.

Thanks a lot for your support as usual!

Regards,

-Lisa

Message 8 of 62
mark.young
in reply to: LishuangLu

I get similar problems. Today I've seen it gradually slow down over an hour as I worked on a part. I also have a Quadro4000 card.

The biggest problem seems to be with IBL backgrounds. Today it started spinning smoothly, even with shadows turned on. Then it gradually got slower (i'm guessing around 5 fps). If I switch to Default or Two Lights it normally gets smooth again.

This also normally fixes a problem where some parts , and somtimes faces, disappear when I rotate the model. Once it's static they come back.

All the time my little GPU monitor app is sayin it's only using 2-3%. What a gwan?

EDIT ok that's not quite accurate.....with an IBL background GPU is no more than 13% and slow. With Two Lights it's up to 30% and smooth.

Message 9 of 62

Hello!

I am a student using Autodesk Inventor with my iMac. 2014 release was slow, 2015 release crashes each minute even with simple assemblies. All of Autodesk 2015 products seem very slow. I have tried to sign in as diffferent user and got a bit faster with 2014 release. I am thinking of upgrading RAM because it is 80% in use and harddrive 100% in use. Solidworks 2014 run fine and smooth.

My specs:

2012 late 27"iMac

Processor Name:Intel Core i5

Processor Speed:3,2 GHz

Number of Processors:1

Total Number of Cores:4

L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB

L3 Cache:6 MB

Memory:8 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB graphics

Windows 8.1 64-bit - latest updates installed

latest drivers installed

Harddrive is almost full

Thanks for help.

Message 10 of 62

How do you run Inventor with iMac? Using boot camp to install windows OS or parallel desktop? Thanks, -Lisa
Message 11 of 62

I have both bootcamp and VMware Fusion installed but I use bootcamp because
it is faster.
Message 12 of 62

thetopgamestudi,

Please provide us with your DxDiag report and your Inventor Diagnostics Report.

PDF's are attached above.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 13 of 62

I added the attachments. By the way today I was working which a one simple part and again it was not responding for about a minute but CPU activity was 20%, Memory 30%, Disk 3%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for help.

Message 14 of 62

Everyone at my firm is also having issues with slow FPS in 2015 Inventor.

Turning off IBL definitely makes a big difference, but we're having some significant problems rendering line work like sketches and .idw's.

By looking at my GPU meter it's pretty clear my GPU doesn't kick in if IBL's are turned on, or if line work is visible.

This makes it very difficult to manipulate complicated sketch geometry.  

Please remedy this ASAP autodesk.

A few computer specs:

Win 7

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz, 3326 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

24gb ram

Geforce GTX 480 with up to date drivers

SSD

Message 15 of 62
sam_m
in reply to: Ben-madrona-home

To ask a dumb question - are you guys designing/working in the IBL environment?  If you know it's a performance hit then why not work in the standard shaded mode?

I know you can work with an IBL background, but that doesn't mean you really should.  I may well have it wrong, but my understanding is the realistic, raytracing and IBL backgrounds are only really intended for visualization purposes to verify the look of the product and/or create nice pictures for marketing.  I wouldn't expect them to be used constantly while designing a product as it will obviously be a big performance hit, meaning a slower/longer design process.  But, hey, I may well be wrong with this...  Whenever I'm working I want the pc to be as quick as possible to I naturally turn off all the bells and whistles - to me it seems ironic to justify a fast cad pc and then voluntarily slow it down with over the top fancy graphical options like shadows, IBL backgrounds, etc...

I only ask/post because this is the second time IBL has been mentioned in this topic and linking it to slow fps, so it made me wonder if it's being used more regularly than just the odd visualization check.  Tbh, I don't think I've used it for more than 5 times since it was added to Inventor, especially now I export to Showcase for renderings.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 16 of 62
mark.young
in reply to: sam_m

As you say it helps to "...to verify the look of the product"...if you do this as you are designing the product it can speed up your workflow.

In 2013 I could switch it on & off quite happily with no noticable difference. If it's there, you should be able to use it.

Interesting you get dlow fps too ben. My reseller said because Inv uses a single core, it will only use a fraction of your RAM. So as mine is quad core he reckoned it can only use a quarter of the RAM. As you've got 6 cores but a chunky 24GB of RAM I would have thought you'd be good.

I can see my FPS slow down as the RAM fills up over time. Can you see the same?

Message 17 of 62
sam_m
in reply to: mark.young

Isn't it just like the Zebra, draft etc. analysis tools?  They all help to check the shape of an object, to verify it's look.  But, does that mean they should be on constantly while designing a part?  All the fancy bells and whistles will slow it down, especially IBL, so knowing that, it's a balance of whether you want fps/productivity or fancy graphics (an analogy could be any pc game where you have to turn down fancy graphical options to increase fps - no different here.  If you're noticing poor fps then tone down the eye candy).

yes, when modelling, Inventor only uses 1 core (why a high speed quad core i5 is usually enough), but rendering & FEA use all and more recently Inventor has allowed each view in an idw can use a separate core.

As for each core only being able to access it's % share of the total ram - I've never heard that before and think it's rubbish.  If only because Inventor modelling (when it's on a single core) can eat up the majority of my system's ram (if not all and then start paging out), and it always has whether it's on XP with the 3gb switch or 64bit Win7 irrespective the number of processor cores.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 18 of 62
mark.young

Sadly you are right - I have to switch it to Default or Two Lights to get work done now. My whole day is spinning models around and when it's like 5fps, it's just painful. You talk about games: I look at something like BF4 on my PC vs the relatively simple models I make in Inventor and think "why is it so bad?" The point is really that they brought it in, loads of us thought it was great and worked well, and then it just gets worse each release. You expect things to improve not go backward.

Maybe I phrased it badly about the RAM issue - basically my support people said if I add more RAM, it should improve things. I've got a Xeon & 12GB already. Ben's comment kind of tells me the opposite.

Perhaps someone from Autodesk can come and explain this a little? I know it's something to do with the kernal but I really don't get that stuff. I'm just a CAD monkey 🙂

Message 19 of 62
Ben-madrona-home

Hi Sam,

I agree with you that IBL is a bell & whistle and that it will clearly slow things up a bit, but Mark is right when he says it has never had that big of a drag on resources in the past.  I think what we're both requesting is why this release is Soooooo much slower than previous versions.  Like Mark, now I do all of my modeling in two lights or default. 

That said, IBL is one small issue.  My firm's bigger issue is the slow rendering of line work in both sketches and .idw's.  Like IBL it is muuuuch slower than previous versions, and often hangs for up to 5 seconds on a complicated sketch or idw.  and I can't toggle that one or off like IBL.

Follow-up to my previous post:

With more testing i've noticed that longer you model the slower your FPS get, and not surprisingly the less inventor uses you gpu.

For example, say I'm working on a model for a few hours and it gets really slow (low GPU use).  If I restart Inventor and open the exact same model it will be much faster and it will be utilizing my GPU much more. 

It's interesting, it seems as though the time that you've been modeling is much more important to FPS speed than actual model complexity.

It'd be nice to get an explanation as to why this is.

But i guess i'll probably just have to chalk it up to yet another in the seaminly endless lists of work arounds that our firm has had to develop for inventor.

My suggestion for autodesk is the same as all other users I've ever talked to: Focus on making you product work rather than adding marginally useful features or (ha) cloud integration.  We're engineers; we get annoyed when things aren't engineered well.

Message 20 of 62
dgorsman

The RAM use per core idea is well off the mark, and was likely mis-heard or repeated incorrectly from somewhere up the line.  The only time I've heard that would be for multi-core rendering purposes, so if you have a hex-core CPU (12 cores with hyperthreading) and "only" 12 GB RAM it would be effectively limited to 2 GB per core (1 GB per core with hyperthreading) which can cause bottlenecks and explain some odd decreases in rendering times when hyperthreading is disabled.  In general operations the program will take as much RAM as it needs (and no, forcing it to somehow use more won't make it go any faster).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report