Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Mold Design: Gate Placement & Shape

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
LT.Rusty
1176 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor Mold Design: Gate Placement & Shape

So there I was, making a mold.

Anyway, my problem is that when I go to put in a gate (in this case a fan gate) of the type and shape shown below, I can't do it.  It seems like gates have to only be above or below the parting line, rather than right on (and symmetrical about) it, and a fan gate (apparently) must always have a flat bottom.  Anyone got any workarounds for this?

(This is a snip of the drawing for the actual tool.  I have to run some mold flow analysis on it before we authorize cutting steel.  I could just model the whole 2-cavity assembly with gates and runners, and then lie to Inventor and tell it that the part actually has a sprue gate ... but I'd prefer to do it the right way.)

Capture.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MingweiGao
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hello, Currently, this gate type is not supported in Inventor Mold. But if you want to do mold analyses based on your gate type and if your runner profiles are circle, you may have a try the following method:

1.Create the runner segments;

2.Create the “half gate” by Fan type in Inventor Mold;

3.After finish the runner and gate creation, you can switch to Model browser and edit the Runner part;

4.Use Mirror command and choose “Mirror a solid”, select the whole runner solid and select the parting plane(XY plane of Runner part) as the Mirror Plane;

5.Return to Mold environment and do Mold analyses.

I just used a simple part to do a test and you can double check it. Hope this helps.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 3 of 4
MingweiGao
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Attach two pictures in here

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 4 of 4
LT.Rusty
in reply to: MingweiGao

Okay, thanks - I'll try this.

Might be something to look at for future planning, though - add a third radio button for gate placement: Up / Down / Symmetrical.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report