Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Hangs for 6-8 minutes on opening

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
michael
1154 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor Hangs for 6-8 minutes on opening

Hi guys, I am having major hangs 10-15 minutes on first boot of Inventor 2014. Driving me batty.

The licence request HKCU\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager returning the following on Process Monitor - NAME NOT FOUND : Desried Access: Query Value is hanging for 8 or so minutes before continuing.

I am running on a local licence and not a network but I am connected to a central server most of the time.

Has anyone had anything similar?  I am at a loss as to what has caused it or how to fix it.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

HI Michael, thanks for your report. May I know more information about your problem? You mentioned "I am running on a local licence and not a network but I am connected to a central server most of the time." local license means you are using standalone license but not network license, am I right? thus, what do you mean of "connected to a central server"? could you please check what is the value of the register key: "LicenseMode" under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion18.0] if standalone license, it should be "dword:00000002"; for network license, it should be "dword:00000001";
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your prompt reply Kevin,

The licence is as you say in the registry REF_DWORD 0x00000002 (2), REG_SZ (Licence Type) Stand-Alone Licence.

My mention of the server was just as a side.  There was a change with server setup and Kaspersky anti-virus replaced avast recently which started (or rather, exascerbated) the boot issues.  Inventor has always run with a lag on bigger models that I have put up with but if there is something known about this issue as well I would appreciate the help in sorting this out also.  Basically the screen becomes unresponsive on normal tasks like dimensioning, line drawing, endpoint picking ect. for a fraction of a second or longer, it flickers and shows "Not Responding" in the top left status bar.  Then it comes right and you can continue.  Sometimes the little blue spin wheel appears, sometimes it doesn't.  Imagine this happening over and over and over, everday.

Computer Specs _

Dell Precision M6600 Laptop - 64 Bit WIN 7 Pro SP1

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.4 GHz

8GB RAM

Seagate Momentus 7200 500GB HD with 300 GB free space (Considering going to 250 GB SSD)

nVidia Quadro 4000M Graphics

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks again,

Michael

Message 4 of 10

Thanks for your information, but I am a little confused, your problem now is Inventor performance issue, but not license error when opening it, am I right? If the former, please try to update your OS include directX and update the hardware driver, or search some topics about performance problem in this forum. I am sorry I am not familar with Inventor performance. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-2015-x-Quadro-FX-2500M-performance-issue/m-p... if the laster, please let me know.
Message 5 of 10
NathanLos
in reply to: michael

Hi Michael,

This sounds like it might be a widespread performance issue because it occurs during multiple workflows. Are any other processes or programs on your computer demonstrating a similar delay? Or is it just Inventor 2014?

You mentioned that the 10-15 minute delay only occurs on first launch (after rebooting, I assume). A few ideas come to mind:

1) Inventor DLLs are loaded from the hard drive on first launch. Afterward, they might be available in the system's file cache, which is much faster. Maybe the hard drive is the culprit.

2) Perhaps some files are being loaded from a network location. Does the active Inventor project file specify any network paths? Are you using a materials library on a network share?

3) If you temporarily disable Avast and/or Kaspersky, does the Inventor performance change in any way?

We can't say for sure if the license manager is the cause of the delay. It might be, but there might also be other factors in play. Any extra details you can provide will help with diagnosing the situation.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (2)
Message 6 of 10

Sorry Kevin, I should not have introduced the other issue that I have with Inventor.

Lets keep this to the 10 minute boot time issue.

There should be no confusion. As stated, the licence is local.  The issue is it is hanging up on the licence verification step when I monitor the process. 

Cheers,

Michael

Message 7 of 10
michael
in reply to: NathanLos

Thanks Nathan,

It would seem that Autocad Mechanical 2014 also does this on occasion, it will seem slow and choppy from time to time, but only really Inventor 2014 consistently does the "not responding" hang between mouse actions.  It also did it on this machine since inventor 2012.  The long boot time issue is seperate and has only recently happened.

In answer to your question about whether or not it occurs only after reboot, as far as I can tell it actually occurs at random.  I did not re-boot last night, but put the computer to sleep.  This morning it took about 8 minutes to boot inventor. After reboot, it is generally taking the longest.

1. What could be the issue with the hard drive in this case?  Permissions?  All other programs seem to load fine.

2. I also thought this could be the issue.  I have re-located all the library and styles files to my local C: Drive.  Up until last week the preferences files were located C:\Users\michaeld.TITANWHEEL\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Inventor 2014 which although has the .TITANWHEEL string next to the user, is still on my local drive.  Anyway, I shifted all those to C:\Inventor along with Template, Library and Inventor Project files.  I think now all the files are local for this but I may have missed checking somewhere?

3. Kaspersky is apparently now disabled or exluded from interacting with Autodesk 2014 actions.  I don't know how much of that is true, we are running a central server and an external IT department that runs all that.  The issue of the slow boot started after they decided to have a fiddle around on my system and loaded Kaspersky instead of Avast.  Prior to this "fiddle" and virus software setup change the program booted as normal within a couple of minutes.  I cannot disable locally as there are passwords that restrict access and when I ask the question of the IT I get the same response everytime,  "We have inacted the exlusion so Kaspersky is not the issue..."

Let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers,

Michael

Message 8 of 10
NathanLos

Hi Michael,

We can probably rule out the hard drive due to the fact that other programs are running reasonably fast. If it had been low on available space or was going bad in some way, the slowness would have affected more than just Inventor.

You might want to consider creating a new user account as an experiment. If the new account is fast, then we'll know to look for a specific michaeld.TITANWHEEL setting. If the new account is slow, then it's likely a system-wide issue like a misbehaving graphics driver.

On another note, some of the materials library logic is sensitive to file system structure. For instance, if a nonexistent path is specified as a materials location, it could lead to slowness. Consider re-checking your materials settings and removing the dropdown from the title bar.

Good luck,

Nathan

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (2)
Message 9 of 10
michael
in reply to: NathanLos

Thanks Nathan,

Well I noticed on another post a guy who has the exact setup as mine (with 16 GB ram instead of my 8 GB) had symptoms of the same lag issue between clicks.  He activated the AERO theme in Windows 7 and it fixed the issue.

So yesterday I activated the AERO theme and although I have not tested it that much it did seem to flow better yesterday.  I also had a good fiddle with the advanced settings of the graphics card controls as well so that may be the reason for better usability since then.

Surprisingly this morning after reboot Inventor loaded in less than a minute.  I don't know what the heck is going on or whether the AERO theme has anything to do with it but it would seem that 2 years of laggy, buggy usage and the horrible boot times of the last few weeks is now sorted.

I will report back if things persist once I have had a good chance to put Inventor through it's paces on some bigger models.

Thanks again,

Michael

Message 10 of 10
NathanLos

Hi Michael,

Great to hear that the performance has dramatically improved for you. I'll keep the theme tip filed away in case this sort of issue ever crops up again.

I'll also notify the Inventor QA team that some additional testing should be performed with themes disabled. If there's a general issue, we'll get it into our tracking system.

Best regards,
Nathan

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report