Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Drawing and Model

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Arya2012
1109 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Drawing and Model

Hello everyone,

I have a question about Inventor Drawing and Model.

I create a custom drawing template and some custom model which whenever I need them I grab them from the library and re-save them as I design new products. I’m working on a shared server and I don’t want someone else to look at some logic I used. So I need to protect my templates and model.

So if someone knows how to create read-only drawing and model, it would be much appreciated to let me know how to do it.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: Arya2012

Nothing currently that will "lock" the way you can with Word and Excel documents within Inventor. Short of keeping the files within your security of a local removable drive that you can take with you.

You might be able to change the security of the files for your permission only within Windows but I don't think that's what you want.

RMB on the file, pull up the properties (not iProperties) and look at the permissions and security.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6

Hi  Arya2012,

You might consider saving your model as a custom template file (you can use the Save Copy As Template button). If you place you iLogic in an external rule, and set the Event Trigger in the template file for the new file event, then the rule will trigger when a new file is created.

The drawing is a big trickier, but you can create a drawing of each of your template parts that is fully detailed and use the Replace Model Reference tool to swap out the template model file with the new configuration. This can be done manualy or programatically. The tricky part is that the drawing can't be used as an Inventor template.

Custom templates and tabs

Autodesk Inventor Custom Part Template.png

iLogic opens when a new file is created:

Autodesk Inventor Custom Part Template2.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 6

Hi Curtis,

Could you show me in more details how to do the drawings please?

Message 5 of 6

Hi  Arya2012,

If you create a subfolder in your templates folder it will not show up in the Inventor New File dialog box. For instance the folder called Drawing Templates shown here, will not show up for the user to select from.

Autodesk Hidden Templates.png

My drawing "template" is a fully dimensioned drawing of my part template:

Autodesk Hidden Templates2.png

So then I would create a bit of ilogic code to configure and create a copy of the part template and the drawing template, and then I'd use ReplaceReference to change the new drawing so that it looks at the new part file, rather than the part file template.

Some adjustment is then needed to rearange dims and views if the part has become much longer, etc.

Autodesk Hidden Templates3.png

Here is a real quick example, I would run this as an external rule, so that no ilogic remains in the files:

'create a list of sizes
myStringValues = new string(){"30", "40", "42", "44", "46", "48", "50", "52", "*Custom Size*"}

'get user input
myLength = InputListBox("Select a Length", MyStringValues, MyStringValues(0), _
"22-R2 with K Unit Cutout Configuration", "iLogic")

'set the part size
If myLength = "*Custom Size*" Then
Parameter("d1") = InputBox("Enter a custom Length", "iLogic", Parameter("d1"))
Else
Parameter("d1") = myLength
End If

'set the part number
iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number") = "22-R2-K-" & Parameter("d1")

'create the new part name
newPart = "U:\Engineering\CAD Files\Counter Tops\" & _
iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number") & ".ipt"

'create the new drawing name
newIDW = "U:\Engineering\CAD Files\Counter Tops\" &  _
iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number") & ".idw"

'define the drawing template location
IDWtemplate = _
"U:\Engineering\Templates\01-Counter Tops\Drawing Templates\22-R2 with K Unit Cutout.idw"

'copy the drawing template to create the new drawing
FileCopy (IDWtemplate, newIDW)

'update the part file
InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()
'zoom all
ThisApplication.ActiveView.Fit

'save the part file
ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(newPart, False)

'open the new drawing file
Dim doc as Document
doc = ThisApplication.Documents.Open(newIDW, True)

'update the referenced model in the drawing
Dim oFD As FileDescriptor
oFD = doc.ReferencedFileDescriptors(1).DocumentDescriptor.ReferencedFileDescriptor
oFD.ReplaceReference(ThisDoc.Document.FullFileName)
doc.Update()

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 6
Arya2012
in reply to: Arya2012

Hi Curtis,

This is wonderful, but I still need to lock my drawing.

Let's explain it a little in details. When I finish a project which includes assemblies, weldments, parts and drawings of each, then I place it in the server. This is for me or someone else in my department to come back to it if we have the same order again. Now I don’t want someone else to look at detail of my custom templates. So basically I want them to look at the drawing without changing anything or looking into deeper details. Is it possiable to lock the details of your template or any other way that you know to do the same thing?

Thanks and really appreciated for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report