Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Crashes when loading any file, or closing welcoming center

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
terpsurfer
1575 Views, 18 Replies

Inventor Crashes when loading any file, or closing welcoming center

Hello All,

After downloading the Autodesk Inventor 2013, I was forced to download the hotfix. I completed the download, and started up Inventor. My force closed crash report directed me to the most updated update, which I then installed to no avail. I've sent an additional crash report, but I've yet to recieve any feedback. When I go to either load the .ipt blank file, or even close the welcome center tab (to be able to access the tools to troubleshoot) It shuts down.

Windows Vista 32-bit

ATI Radeon 3400 HD Series

Intel(R) Core 2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHZ X2

(If you need other specs let me know) 

I'm quite annoyed, as I need to get to work on my projects. Please help, Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: terpsurfer

It is very rare these days to be running a 32-bit OS.

Are you sure you are running 32-bit Vista?

How much RAM do you have?

Did you install with anti-virus and UAC turned off?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
terpsurfer
in reply to: JDMather

This is a 2006 pc, with 4.0 GB of ram. I am positive that this is a 32-bit OS, and it has yet to fail me with adobe software, autodesk software and simulations etc....

I did not install with my antivirus off, since that seems pointless and makes my system extremely vulnerable. 

" UAC turned off?" I have no clue as to what the UAC is, but if its inside the tool menu of the autodesk software then theres no way for me to reach it because as soon as I clsoe the welcome center or load the file it shuts down. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 19
DarrenP

UAC is User Access Control

its part of the windows OS

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
terpsurfer
in reply to: DarrenP

Ok, and you would reccomend I fully uninstall then, reinstall with this UAC off?

Message 6 of 19
JDMather

Try a Repair install first (with UAC and anti-virus off).

if that doesn't work

Search Google for Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions (caution - includes Registry Edits).

Where are you gettting the install files that you think anti-virus is needed during install?  Is this a warez download?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 19
terpsurfer

I'm downloading from the student center, could you please explain what I need to do?

From what you've posted it seems to be this

Uninstall Inventor

Turn off UAC and Anti-Virus

re-install

Message 8 of 19
dgorsman

You know those windows dialogs that pop up asking "<something> is trying to modify <this>, do you want to proceed?" ?  *That* is the UAC.  The intention is to help idiot-proof the operating system, trying to throw in a few extra roadblocks for the script-kiddies trying to make changes behind the scenes.  For experienced users those dialogs tend to get in the way, and many power users pull the slider all the way down to "off" since they know what they are attempting and the associated risks.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 19
JDMather

@terpsurfer wrote:

I'm downloading from the student center, could you please explain what I need to do?

From what you've posted it seems to be this

Uninstall Inventor

Turn off UAC and Anti-Virus

re-install

Make sure you follow the Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions - not simply the Windows Control Panel.

BTW - I use the student download and I had 2013 on my old 32-bit OS machine before I got a new 64-bit machine.

It seemed to run fine.

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
terpsurfer

I followed your directions, and boom, after a fresh reinstall its still giving me the same problem. I'm beyond fed up with this now.

Message 11 of 19
blair

Not really sure why you are having the installation problems that you are. Along with JD's recommendations, make sure that you have Administrative Privildges as well as having the UAC turned off (slider set to lowest setting) and your A/Virus software disabled just for the Installation. Some A/V software will stop certain edits to the Windows Registry. Make sure your .NET is at 4.0

I would make sure that you are current on all Windows SP's and hotfixes for your O/S and current graphics card drivers.

I would use the Autodesk Clean Un-Install to remove all traces of the old install prior to trying to re-install the software.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14893355&linkID=9242018

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 19
SBix26
in reply to: blair

Stuff like this can result from a corruption somewhere in your user profile.  Try starting Inventor from a different login (with power user privileges or better).  If this works, then delete every bit of anything related to Inventor from your profile and try again.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 13 of 19
terpsurfer
in reply to: SBix26

.net Framework is @ 4

uac has been turned off

vista sp1 & 2 have been installed

I'm currently working on the graphics drivers and should have it finished soon. I'm able to run revit 2012 so i'm not sure why its a problem, anyways..

I will turn off my a/v during the install and I hope it works! Thanks for all the help!

Message 14 of 19
terpsurfer

Same exact problem with ALL of these issues addressed. I'm fed up and pissed. Can someone pless point me in the direction of a customer support rep?

Message 15 of 19
DarrenP

all support is through the reseller channel

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/searchform?id=1088201&siteID=123112

FYI vista is not a supported OS anymore with any 2013 products

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=18424371

it also could be your computer can't handle inventor 2013

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
terpsurfer
in reply to: DarrenP

Alright, so what If I were to try inventor 2012?

Message 17 of 19
terpsurfer

Attempted to install the 2012 version and to my surprise I found this! 

I'm now going to attempt to install AutoCAD_Architecture 

Message 18 of 19
blair
in reply to: blair

Check in the primary folder for the installation (where the setup.exe file resides), there should be a "readme" file.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 19
JDMather

A 6 or 7 year old computer?

When was the last time the HDD was reformatted and OS re-installed (a lot of garbage can build up over several years).

I was running an old computer (about the same specs as yours) and it was getting slower and slower and I had trouble installing Autodesk Simulation.  New install of the original OS and it worked better than it had in years.

Where are you getting the 2012 software (student download?)?

As noted above this is a free peer-to-peer user support group, not the Autodesk support.
Support is through your VAR (Value Added Reseller).

There is also peer support here and often Autodesk Employees chime in, but provide all information

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report