Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 Material Library Changes

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2433 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2015 Material Library Changes

The new Inventor 2015 Materials Library looks very different from the 2013 Materials Library. Is there a way to include a couple of the material colors from the 2013 library into the 2015 library? I'd need the actual place in the computer in which to find each so I can insert the data I need I suppose. Here is what I see when I try to find materials libraries on my computer:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Content Center\Libraries

Does that seem to be the correct location? And what might the material library file be named?

I just need Blue Sea to be in my new library. Inventor 2015 has nothing that matches that particular color from the 2013 library and I used it all the time so I need new parts to match. If a location path could be included in a reply that would be awesome!

Thanks for any help given!

K

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

You can find the location in your project file.

Hover over the appearance library. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

All I get when I hover over the Appearance Library are the words "Appearance Override" but I can't click on it or do anything with it.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

When I go to "Projects" and look at the Appearance Libraries it doesn't enable me to do anything when I hover over it either. It gives me the location of the file, but how do I add a material library or is that what I should do? And do I repeat the process for every project I am working on or can it be a change for my computer for all projects?

Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

When I go to "Projects" and look at the Appearance Libraries it doesn't enable me to do anything when I hover over it either. It gives me the location of the file, but how do I add a material library or is that what I should do? And do I repeat the process for every project I am working on or can it be a change for my computer for all projects?

I'd suggest you go through the help/tutorials on how to #1 work with project files and #2 how to work with material/appearance libraries.. Its the basics and you seem to be confused there and frankly its way to much for me to type it all out for you.. A few videos on youtube or going through the inventor help should get you started. 

You can access both libraries and easily move materials/appearances between the libraries,etc...

I'm going to assume you have a project file for each "project" which personally I wouldn't do unless you have a darn good reason to.. But assuming they all reference the same material/appearance library you only need to add the material once into that library and its going to be there for all projects that reference that library. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hello,

The tutorials are not specific enough and they take a lot of time. I have done a lot of the tutorials in the past and they are very helpful for learning the nuts and bolts of the program, but I was hoping for a specific answer for jsut one little specific question: how to add a material from an older version Inventor appearance library to a newer version Inventor appearance library.

I agree I don't have much practice with the files and how things are stored or how they run in these programs. I will try out tutorials when I do find some free time, but for now what I did to solve my problem was to make a material from scratch that closely resembles what I used in the 2012 and  2013 versions "blue sea" and am using that.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Okay I found a good YouTube walk thru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKZMNa0EjU

Thank you for suggesting it. I can't change the library without administrator approval, but at least now I know how to do it.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report