Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 What's New

83 REPLIES 83
Message 1 of 84
jdits7
10732 Views, 83 Replies

Inventor 2014 What's New

Here is a quick rundown of What's New in Inventor 2014

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2013/03/inventor-2014-whats-new.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Tags (1)
83 REPLIES 83
Message 41 of 84
timo.puska
in reply to: jdits7

In our company everyone like that classic is better. Some use ribbon

because they think that it will be the only alternative in the future and they

must learn to use it.

We still use Inventor 2011 mostly because of this menu hassle. I wonder

if Autodesk is so tied to Microsoft that they can't make costomers happy

or doesn't Autodesk just care about customers.

Message 42 of 84
SeanFarr

If my subscription expires end of this month and Inventor 2014 comes out before then, do I get access to it? or does subscription center only allow one current release per year on subscription?

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 43 of 84
jletcher
in reply to: SeanFarr

You need to call your dealer you bought it from to find out.... Or call Autodesk.

Message 44 of 84
karthur1

I would think so.  Let us know what you find out.

Message 45 of 84
mcgyvr
in reply to: karthur1

Is the "official" 2014 Whats new PDF published yet?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 46 of 84
sprayvent

Spoiler

I run Inv 2013 with the Ribbon and like it.  I used Inv 2008 with the classic and I ws lost, could remember how to nagvigate between placing views and annotation.  It took me a few minues.  I still like the Ribbon better.  Hey, that seems to be the wave of the future.

GalaxyDraftingService.com

Inv. 2013 soon to be 2014 running the Ribbon. 

Message 47 of 84
scottmoyse
in reply to: stevec781

@stevec781 wrote:

Symetry constraints - about time - too bad we have to wait for SP1 before feeling safe to install it.

It's been very stable for me. Waaaay better than 2013, I view this as Inventor 2013 SP3 to be honest. 2013 will continue to be a pig even with SP2, there have been some fundamental Material & Appearance changes which may never see the light of day in 2013. Autodesk don't always back port fixes.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 48 of 84
scottmoyse
in reply to: riff62

@riff62 wrote:

Officially released yesterday according to a post I saw  on Mod the Machine this morning...Not sure when people will start seeing it show up..

ADN users get it first.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 49 of 84
scottmoyse
in reply to: harco

@harco wrote:

If anyone has tried to remote desktop to Inventor running the ribbon you will know why it bothers me, it doesn't work.

Really? I do it quite often. What's your problem with it in that regard? I haven't had any issues

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 50 of 84
scottmoyse
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:

WIth seeing the "Ribbon" being released in Micro-Soft products and IV, it became apparent that this was not going away, so I had to change my ways and adapt/adopt. Using a SpacePilot and SpacePilot Pro, I set my device up with the common buttons/commands anyways.

Thats the point, you can customise the ribbon to be however you like it to be. But with keyboard shortcuts and devices like the 3D connexion space mice & programmable mice you can save a tonne of clicking.

Now you also have the contextual radial menus with technically are even quicker than the classic menu could ever have been. As long as you spend the time to set them up and force yourself to use them, within a week or so they will become second nature.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 51 of 84
scottmoyse
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

I see they added more bugs to it this should be fun.

which bugs? have you reported them?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 52 of 84
scottmoyse

@SeanFarr wrote:

If my subscription expires end of this month and Inventor 2014 comes out before then, do I get access to it? or does subscription center only allow one current release per year on subscription?

Thanks

Sean

Yes, you get one upgrade per release cycle. Your subs started after the last release, so you will get this one because the release date is within your subscription cycle

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 53 of 84
scottmoyse
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Is the "official" 2014 Whats new PDF published yet?

It doesn't appear to be. The whole Inventor 2014 section of the Wiki help isn't even live yet.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 54 of 84
SeanFarr
in reply to: scottmoyse

I should expand on this cause I would really like to have the Product Design Suite 2014, but then find out I am not going to get it!! Haha,

My employer purchased the software and subscription before I was hired. I don't know which product or suite he had on subscription but we only had Inventor and simulation 2011, then we got Inventor 2012 before our subscription expired(April 2012).

Our reseller contacted me in December and informed me that for $100 late fee+ $1300 subscription fee, we could re-subscribe and get Product design Suite Ultimate 2013, I then informed my employer this was a good deal, because at the time we were looking at purchasing AutoCAD Electrical which $5500. So we renewed our subscription and got PDSU 2013. I know with our current workflow and situation, my employer won't fork out $1300 just so 'Sean' can have new features in the software that we already have.

That's why I was curious if I was able to snag that new release of PDSU 2014 before end of April or is there a monitoring system that recognizes, that I already upgraded this year to 2013.

Thanks

Sean Farr

Sean Farr

Message 55 of 84
Michael_Kidd

Having used inventor since release 5, its going to be a hard sell to my boss this year to continue with subscription

"So you can now draw a slot" he will ask with one eyebrow raised

Michael

Message 56 of 84
SeanFarr

I was just thinking about how Microsoft doesn't release a new OS or Office suite every year. There is gaps of years in between releases and they still sell software not stop. In between releases of course there are many updates and service packs, but that is what keeps the consumers "happy" until a new release comes out.

Why doesn't AutoDesk work like this,

My guess is they are not concerned with the smaller type companies who have minimal active licences and have difficult times explaining their managers why they should stay on subscription and keep upgrading to a new version every year.

Just makes more sense to release a version, allow users to actually use it, releases updates, hotfixes, service packs, add-ons, and deal with switching to a new release every 2-3 years.

I agree with last post, I personally would find is handy to create slots with a click instead of old method, and other little tweaks and mods that make the software more appealing to us designers, but to management, unless you can prove your going to save the company thousands of $$$ with those new features, they aren't going to spend the $1300 or whatever a subscription cost is.

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 57 of 84
Ryan.Irwin

Anything about how Inventor runs on your machine???

splitting up the calculations, phsyical modeling, renderings onto different processors instead of running everything off one?

Message 58 of 84
inov8works
in reply to: scottmoyse

When I consider the amount of revenue I've generated the company I work for using just one seat, $1300 is a small price to pay for updates. Plus for us in 2014 it appears the Product Design Suite Premium has been upgraded to Inventor Professional, and some of the additional features will be useful to our Engineering department.

Of course everybody has to make that decision based on their needs and what management will allow. Thankfully the subscription price has never been an issue for the company I work for.

Message 59 of 84
karthur1
in reply to: inov8works

Not only does the suite now include Professional, but also as of 4/1/13, subscription customers with Basic Support will be upgraded to Advanced Support. Advanced support includes phone support 24x5 and remote desktop assistance, plus other benefits.

Message 60 of 84
SeanFarr
in reply to: karthur1

To avoid calling my re-seller and stirring the pot there, does anyone know the cost difference between Premium and Ultimate?

I typically use Inventor and AutoCAD and AutoCAD Electrical, I am no where near ready to use the other programs included in the Ultimate suite.

Thanks!

Sean

Sean Farr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report