Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Renderings Look bad

117 REPLIES 117
Message 1 of 118
tsreagan
16121 Views, 117 Replies

Inventor 2014 Renderings Look bad

I have searched the forums for similar issues but have not seen any posts on this, so maybe it is just me.

I was excited about 2014,  couldn't wait to see how wonderfull the rendering improvements would be.

I fired it up and rendered something....   ugg... that can't be right.  The renderings looked awfull  see attachment.

I tried this on two different machines with differing video systems. (latest drivers on both)

Played with every Inventor video option. (all 2 or 3 of them anyway)

Is this just me or is anyone else having similar issues.

They do render faster,  but what good does that do, when they look like... well... (Censored)

Should I export everything as a step and send it back to 2013 for rendering?

Thanks.

T.S.

117 REPLIES 117
Message 101 of 118
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: ajcraig99

See further 2015 related ray tracing commentary & sample images at http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Friday-Pictures-4-4-14/m-p/4944896#M504110

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 102 of 118
danielw88
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Hey Chris,

I posted in that topic that you linked. My rendering that i posted was done in 2012. 2014 didn't work. I've just been curious what 2015 would look like.

Message 103 of 118

Here we go again!

Installed AIP 2015 and hoped that the raytrace-kernel-problem from AIP2014 had been solved...

You can see the difference in the picture below.... white ground shadows!?!?

One would expect every new version to be better than the last, but in this matter it actually only gone downhill since AIP2013.

I'm really disappointed at how autodesk have handled this issue and I would actually NOT recommend people to upgrade from Inventor 2013 if they need to produce nice pictures from within Inventor.

/T

AIP2015.png

Message 104 of 118

I'm seeing the same thing, but it only seems to give the white ground shadow when it's in perspective.

When the view is orthographic it looks like this:

2015_raytrace_ortho.png

("good" setting)

Only the "interactive" raytracing has no white ground shadow when in perpective, both "good" and "best" are like in your image.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 105 of 118

Hi, For the white shadows problem, please refer to the replies from Ray tracing expert. "Because the environments themselves do not receive shadow, the visible shadows under a model are caused by a “ground plane” which is a geometry that has been marked to only produce shadows and reflections but otherwise be invisible. The material applied to the ground plane geometry controls the properties of the plane, so setting the material to be completely reflective will cause the ground plane to produce strong reflections, but no shadows, etc." We have found the root of the problems, and currently we are working on this to see wheter the proposed solution works for it. So would you please first use Interactive mode for Ray Tracing for such case? We will let you know once we get more progress for resolving this. Thanks, -Lisa
Message 106 of 118

Hi again!

I still think there is something seriously wrong with 2015 (and 2014) compared to Inventor 2013.

For instance I get three different sharp shadows when I use the "old warehouse"environment eventhough I only have one lightsource with maxed value for soft shadows...

You can also see the sharp shadows in your picture above

/Br Tobias

Message 107 of 118

Hi!

Can someone from Autodesk please tell when (if ever) the raytracing quality will be restored to at least the same level as Inventor 2013!?

Obviously both Inventor 2014 and 2015 have problems regarding this matter... and I'm just curios if even more years will go by before the quality will be restored?

/Best regards Tobias

Message 108 of 118

The issue with "white shadows" is being worked on for the next update to 2015, which should be available mid-July.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 109 of 118

Not exactly mid-July - but close...

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/update-2-fo...

Hopefully the issue with white shadows has been improved.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 110 of 118
mbunds
in reply to: tsreagan

My company just bought 8 Boxx CAD stations, and it's up to me to choose a 3D CAD package. Inventor has been my favorite given its interoperability with other Autodesk products, but after reading this thread, I'm no longer confident that I should recommend Inventor given the ongoing bugs that are apparantly not getting fixed from 2014 up. I expect this behavior from Microsoft, but never from Autodesk.

Unless someone at Autodesk can convince me otherwise, I am now looking at Solidworks to fill these seats.

Message 111 of 118
danielw88
in reply to: mbunds

mbunds, in reagards to this thread, From my testing i have done with rendering in 2015, the problems i had in 2014 have been fixed.

Message 112 of 118
terje.antonsen
in reply to: danielw88

On AIP 2014. 

From what I read in the last few posts, there seem to be no issue with renderings in 2015 as of now, is this correct?

If all of you that have been waiting for this are pleased with it as of now, it would be good to hear a comment. If someone feels that 2015 rendering needs to improve, I'm curious to specifically what you feel needs to improve.

Message 113 of 118
mbunds

That's good news, really! Solidworks is good, but they don't have the range of compatable products that makes Autodesk so attractive. Thanks!

Message 114 of 118

Hi everybody!

Last week I installed AIP 2016 and it finally looks like the raytrace issues are solved.

I tried a quick raytrace-rendering of some gimball-motors and it looks fine to me.

/T

Gimball_motors.png

Tags (2)
Message 115 of 118

Excellent! I am having a purchase order issued for the 2016 suite!
Message 116 of 118

THAT looks GREAT Tobias. Thanks for posting that image. That makes me breathe a little easier for upgrading to 2016. I still need to download it and test it out to see if the other issue i had in 2015 has been fixed, but seeing the rendering improved is a huge load off.

Message 117 of 118

I just installed 2016 on our test machine.

Based on tobias' render, it looks like you can get some really good renders out of the software.

I did my own test where i did a render in 2012 and then the same file again in 2016. I have a bit of work to do with getting the settings right, but i am a little stumped on how to darken the image. I played around with some light settings but i couldn't match what i had done in 2012.

The comparison drawings are attached.

Message 118 of 118
OhDeeSTee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report