Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Renderings Look bad

117 REPLIES 117
Message 1 of 118
tsreagan
16160 Views, 117 Replies

Inventor 2014 Renderings Look bad

I have searched the forums for similar issues but have not seen any posts on this, so maybe it is just me.

I was excited about 2014,  couldn't wait to see how wonderfull the rendering improvements would be.

I fired it up and rendered something....   ugg... that can't be right.  The renderings looked awfull  see attachment.

I tried this on two different machines with differing video systems. (latest drivers on both)

Played with every Inventor video option. (all 2 or 3 of them anyway)

Is this just me or is anyone else having similar issues.

They do render faster,  but what good does that do, when they look like... well... (Censored)

Should I export everything as a step and send it back to 2013 for rendering?

Thanks.

T.S.

117 REPLIES 117
Message 61 of 118
mrattray
in reply to: MikahB

I know this is a complete tangent, but why haven't you ever made a punch feature or ifeature for slots? I'm still on 2013 and I haven't actually drawn a slot once this year.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 62 of 118
MikahB
in reply to: mrattray

Mike - for my workflow, I prefer to have slots in the sketch.  Not to say that it has to be that way, that's just how I work it.  It's honestly not something I do a lot - just knowing that 2014 would save me a few clicks irks me.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 63 of 118
Chris1969
in reply to: LishuangLu

Hi,

What is the status of this issue?

Adjusting the light setup does not help much.

Does it have high priority? And will it be fixed soon?

Brgds,

Chris

Message 64 of 118
ajcraig99
in reply to: tsreagan

Just installed 2014 and am having this issue aswell. dang it

Message 65 of 118
Anonymous

Hello,

we have the same issue here. Since 2014 the raytracing looks awfull.

We have two workplaces with different hardware and have the same issue on both.

What is the Autodesk answer to this problem? What is the a workaround? When will this issue be fixed?

We definetly need this feature to be working again. Or we dont need Version 2014 - nor subscription.

Message 66 of 118
danielw88

Hi Lisa,

Do you have anything to report on this issue? Thanks for any updates you are able to give us.

Message 67 of 118
Anonymous
in reply to: danielw88

Hi all,

I've sent a request to Autodesk support and got an answer:

The error is known and worked on. It should be corrected in SP1 which will released in ~2 months !?

Message 68 of 118
mark.young
in reply to: Anonymous

Will this also fix the laggy behaviour when using anything other than Default or Two Lights?

It seems anything using IBL backgrounds drops my frame rate to around 5fps.

Message 69 of 118
MikahB
in reply to: Anonymous

This is correct. I have finally - in September - started using Inventor 2014!

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 70 of 118
tsreagan

"This is correct. I have finally - in September - started using Inventor 2014!"

What exactly is correct?

It's definately not the rendering system... Still broken  FYI.

T.S.

Message 71 of 118
MikahB
in reply to: tsreagan

2014 SP1 makes the issue go away.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 72 of 118
danielw88

But the question is, when does Service Pack 1 for 2014 release? If it has been released already, where can it be downloaded, because it isn't listed under the Autodesk Inventor Services & Support Updates & Service Packs list.

Message 73 of 118
DarrenP
in reply to: danielw88

@danielw88 wrote:

But the question is, when does Service Pack 1 for 2014 release? If it has been released already, where can it be downloaded, because it isn't listed under the Autodesk Inventor Services & Support Updates & Service Packs list.

its in beta right now

you can test it you want

its thread number 10 on this link: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2014-Error-0xC0000142-on-Windows-8/td-p/435...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 74 of 118

Hi everybody!

I installed SP1 beta (build 219), restarted the computer, created a new file and the result was like this:
AIP2014_SP1Beta.png

The ground shadow seems to be a lot better, but the object is still full of speckles.

Soo two steps forward and one step back...

/Br Tobias

Message 75 of 118

Could you let me know the appearance you used, and are you using Interactive option for ray tracing? How about switch to Good?

Thanks,
-Lisa
Message 76 of 118

Hi Lisa!

The appearance of the object is "crome-polished" from the "Autodesk Appearance Library" and  raytracing was performed with "best" quality.

And I guess you recognize the environment "Old warehouse".

/Br T

Message 77 of 118

Actually for the fix we made into SP1, we only improve the quality under Ray Tracing with Good option, we can't do anything for Interactive and Best options. But we exposed below settings in the registry, you could change the value of the registry item "RRTBestLevel" to increase the render level, such as from 15 to 20 or even more then, it will give better rendering result. But it will take more time to finish the ray tracing. And be sure restart Inventor to make such change effective.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion18.0\System\Preferences\GraphicsUtil]
"RRTBestLevel"=dword:0000000f
"RRTGoodLevel"=dword:0000000a
"RRTBestLightMode"=dword:00000002
"RRTGoodLightMode"=dword:00000000

You could try this in your side first, let me know if you meet any problems.

Thanks,
-Lisa
Message 78 of 118
Chris1969
in reply to: LishuangLu

So now:

Good = Best.

and

Best = Not so good

It sounds a little confusing...

Message 79 of 118
LishuangLu
in reply to: Chris1969

Yes, Chris, I agree with you, this is a little confusion to users.
Actually from the users' feedback, Good is the most used option, so we think resolving the problem under Good is much more helpful to you.
And it is really difficult to resolve the problem from Inventor side for Interactive and Best due to the kernal change.

That doen't mean we will give up this problem, now we are investigating the problem for the new release.

If you would like to help, we can invite all of you for beta trial to take a look at the ray tracing enhancement.

Thanks,
-Lisa
Message 80 of 118

Hi again!

I tried "good" instead and the object got better, but instead the ground shadow got worse and the glint contained speckles (se below).

AIP2014_SP1Beta_good.png

I also tried to change the registry setting as you mentioned (se below)
AIP2014_SP1Beta_best_RTTbestlevel.pngThe raytracing takes more than 2 hours and the number of speckles actually increases from 3% progress up to 100% so more passes just results in even more speckles.

I guess we have to wait for better raytracing? Perhaps until AIP2015?

/BR Tobias

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report