Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Renderings Look bad

117 REPLIES 117
Message 1 of 118
Anonymous
16162 Views, 117 Replies

Inventor 2014 Renderings Look bad

I have searched the forums for similar issues but have not seen any posts on this, so maybe it is just me.

I was excited about 2014,  couldn't wait to see how wonderfull the rendering improvements would be.

I fired it up and rendered something....   ugg... that can't be right.  The renderings looked awfull  see attachment.

I tried this on two different machines with differing video systems. (latest drivers on both)

Played with every Inventor video option. (all 2 or 3 of them anyway)

Is this just me or is anyone else having similar issues.

They do render faster,  but what good does that do, when they look like... well... (Censored)

Should I export everything as a step and send it back to 2013 for rendering?

Thanks.

T.S.

117 REPLIES 117
Message 2 of 118
sam_m
in reply to: Anonymous

studio render or ray tracing render?  I'm guessing its ray tracing, but it might help to specify.

How does the other look - ie, if that's ray tracing then if Studio rendering just as bad?

I've not upgraded to 2014 yet, so can't really comment, but do the styles need migrating?  might that help?

out of interest, what's your graphics card?  dx11?

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 118
Bill.Schmid
in reply to: sam_m

Looks to me like he just changed his view from shaded to "Realistic."

If it were me, I'd check the Hardware tab of my Application Options and make sure the settings correspond.

Message 4 of 118
Anonymous

These are on the fly renders, not Studio Environment.

One machine had DX 10 Card and One has DX11.

You can't use image based lighting in Studio.

I have never seen a studio rendering that looked as good as the on the fly renderings so don't bother with it.

Plus it takes more time to set up.

Normally I just hit "view", and "realistic" and screenshot after 30 seconds, and done, and beautifull. (at least in 2013)

I tried the Studio environ in 2014, and after changing lighting styles a billion times, I could get nothing but a washed out image.  It's so much easier to hit view realistic raytrace and done.

I attached an image of 2014 Studio rendering on Global with highest quality bounce, and high shadwos,  high everything actually.  See image for result.

If Studio can produce great renders, and I just don't know how then I will look into it, please advise?

I tried every combination of video options under application options.

Anyone else getting the white dots on "Good" screen render?

I tried with updating all materials and styles,  and without,  same result.

Thanks,

T.S.

Message 5 of 118
blair

A quick render in IV Studio:

BT635D.jpg

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 118
blair

A quick render in Showcase:

AML7600B-ABS.jpg

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 118
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

ah yes.. the "speckles" are back.. (saw that in 2012 I believe) 

Try changing/messing with lighting styles.. I seem to remember thats what fixed it before.

Should it happen..heck no. 

I think even "slightly" changing the view angle can help too. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 118
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

"Should it happen..heck no."

I assume the above quote means it looks fine when you render on the fly with "good" setting in 2014?

wich means a future patch will probably not be fixing my problem... since it's just me.  Darn.

I rendered many different parts from every angle,  same thing every time grainy dots. 

Guess Im stuck in 2013 untill 2015, since rendering is one of the most important aspects for me.

Thanks again

T.S.

Message 9 of 118
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Is IV Studio and showcase the same as Inventor Studio?

Those don't look bad,  but they are nothing like what I am seeing in inventor Studio (2014).

What lighting style did you pick out of the tree to get those?

(I hate it when aspects of the program that you love degrade horribly in the latest release)

Thanks again all.   

T.S.

Message 10 of 118
Bill.Schmid

T.S.,

I hope to be installing 2014 in the next few days.  Once I do, I'll see if I get any goofy results.  In the mean time, take a look at the Hardware tab under your Application Options.  Compare between 2013 and 2014.

Message 11 of 118
Anonymous
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

The Hardware Tab,  I checked it.

The only two options are Preformance and Quality,  unless you want software renderer (which i did try)(uggg)

no matter what I choose the result is the same.

(fresh nvida drivers as well)   and this happens on two seperate machines with differing hardware.

New releases are supposed to be better than the previous... at least I think thats how it works.  so this MUST be a bug.

I will wait to see if more have the issue, and if so, I will then await the patch. 

Thanks again

T.S.

Message 12 of 118
Bill.Schmid

Two separate machines is actually a good thing.  That means it reproducible.  Hopefully for Autodesk, as well.

Message 13 of 118
Anonymous

I though the same thing,  two machines,  how could it just be me.

Though, I seem to be the only one complaining about it.

Is there a chance it is because I am still playing around with a trial version?

I'm not going to push to upgrade untill I know I can render properly.

T.S.

Message 14 of 118
gsmith9810

The advantage of a ShowCase render (that I can see) is that once translated INTO ShowCase, subsequent renders are REALLY fast and all sorts of tweaking can be done within ShowCase. Every time you go into INV Studio you have to wait until your model is open within the Studio environment and THEN do the render taking however long that takes.
-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 15 of 118
Bill.Schmid
in reply to: gsmith9810

How about if the model changes?  Is a re-import into Showcase required?

Message 16 of 118
MikahB

Same issues here, same troubleshooting steps completed, no progress.  Still get speckles everywhere.  I still have 2013 installed and primarily use it, but this is one of the first things I tried in 2014 being quite excited for any improvements.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 17 of 118
blair
in reply to: MikahB

Data base relationship is maintained. You only need to update the components that have changed. This is done when you re-open the file in Showcase.

You can create "Alternate" colors, positions, slice/section planes.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 118
gsmith9810
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

I guess that it would depend on how drastic the changes were (Blair seems to have a better handle on this than I do).

In my world, I have not had a lot of luck with some of our larger assemblies using the integrated flow from INV into ShowCase. Works fine for parts and some assemblies. 

FWIW, some of our assemblies are less than "clean" and clean assemblies seem to flow fine.

I've used ShowCase for doing "marketing" types of renders where we're exploring color scheme options.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 19 of 118
Mark.Downes

Hi Tsreagan,

I don’t have 2014 yet to try different settings, but it looks like a very similar issue I had with the dynamic range of the HDRI using 3ds Max and Vray. I got around that issue by placing a dome light within the screen (not helpful in this case).

I don’t know if will work but try changing the HDRI (image based lighting).  Maybe you could also try changing the scale to see if it helps.

Cheers

Mark

Inventor 2013

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 20 of 118

I experience the same thing, the "visual style-realistic" (raytracing) looks great in AIP2013 but in AIP 2014 its full of speckles though I have exactly the same hardware settings...

/Br T

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report