Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Pro stupidly slow all of a sudden

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
icouture
3248 Views, 47 Replies

Inventor 2014 Pro stupidly slow all of a sudden

I have a problem with Inventor pro 2014, whereas it has recently gotten unbearably slow all of a sudden.

It will hang for anywhere between 5 seconds and 2-3 minutes whenever I right click a part in an assembly, whenever I try to run a New or Save and Replace command, whenever I try and move an unconstrained part in an assembly. Basically, it'll hang just about everytime I try and do something with it. The rest of the computer remains responsive and snappy while Inventor chugs away d

I have so far taken the steps to install SP1, hoping it would fix the issue. It stopped doing it for a day or two, then went right back to being slow as heck.

I checked my graphics card driver and saw that it was not certified with Inventor, so I downloaded and installed the correct one. That fixed the issue for another day or two then it came right back.

My IT department has run every test imaginable on my computer and came up with nothing. I'm guessing they are right seeing as the rest of the computer functions perfectly well.

I'm at my wits end, this is costing me precious time, for every 30 second operation I'm losing up to 3 minutes watching the program hang.

Am I the only one having this problem?

Computer specs:

i7-2600 @ 3.4Ghz

16GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

nVidia Quadro FX3800 running on 307.45 driver downloaded off this very website.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 21 of 48
kstate92
in reply to: edonline69

It's probably a lame suggestion, but have you tested all your memory modules?

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 22 of 48
icouture
in reply to: kstate92

I have not. I'll try and squeeze some time into my day for a memory test and report back with any findings.

Message 23 of 48
icouture
in reply to: icouture

No problems found in a 20 pass memory test. So that's not it.

Anyone else?

Message 24 of 48
blair

Try logging in as a different user, one with Admin prividges

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 25 of 48
tahdesign1

When you installed and/or re-installed the software did you make sure to turn off the virus software while doing it?

We have also had this issue when we had some imported components that contained some unnecessary surfaces included in them.

Message 26 of 48
gusi_cl

I've try the same problems. Try every suggestions, several Nvidia drivers, but not solve!

I've experienced that I start a NEW assembly, insert my assembly in it like a subassembly, it works fine!!

The behaviour is the same in two similar workstation.

I open a ticket with Autodesk in subscription center......and hope!

Thank to all have suggestion!

Message 27 of 48
icouture
in reply to: gusi_cl

Still slow, still no solution in sight. Now on SP1 update 2, seems it got worse.

Message 28 of 48
gusi_cl

I've solved the problem in this way, but I'm not sure this is good for you too.

Oper the assembly and in Manage --> Styles-->Delete Styles delete all your unused styles in your assembly. Check all the solution in the left down corner of the pane, like in the .pdf attached.

Good luck!

Message 29 of 48
ccoomes

We have had the same problem with 1 Machine running very slow compared with the others in our office.  Both are of a lower spec than the machine running slowly.

Having turned off the Anti-Virus (Trend) and trying lots of other things, we then tried the Admin Account (Windows 7) and it was MUCH faster.

We have not yet been able to set-up a new user account on the Machine, but when we do this I will let you know if it has made a difference.

My suggestion would be, that if you can log-in as a different user, or even try the admin account, Load Inventor and try the assembly again to see if it is your account?

I only tried this as I had Major Problems with Inventor 2014 NOT Starting.  It turned out to be a problem in the user account registry for Inventor and it was fixed WITHOUT having to create a new user account.

Message 30 of 48
eric.gauthier

Hi everyone,

Inventor Pro 2014, I also have a display problem here turning slow all of a sudden. I work with very large assemblies, 2600 files and 26000 occurences when showing Master Representation. I can open 2 or 3 large assemblies like these without a lag. Suddenly, one of them becomes very slow. I'm then unable to work with this assembly. 2 others still okay.

1. Not always the same assembly has the problem.
  2. I tried a lot of things indicated here to find a solution without success.
  3. I tried to deactivate antivirus without success.
  4. Installation done as recommended.
  5. Hardware set to performance.
  6. Project setup is okay.
  7. CPU and RAM not overloaded. PC is 6 month old and we have 3 like this here.
  8. I'm admin on my PC.

Problem seems to appear when changing representations, but not every time. Sometimes slow "mode" last a few minutes, sometimes it stays until Inventor shutdown and restart.

Eric G.
Inventor Pro 2014 Build 246 Release 2014 SP2 Update 6
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Dell Precision T7600, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30 GHz 4 cores
32 Go RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 5000, driver 9.18.13.745
Message 31 of 48
eric.gauthier

Anybody from Autodesk can help us?

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 32 of 48

Has anybody looked at their C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp folder lately and check to see how much space (size on disk) it consumes.   If its the GB range please delete as many files as possible with no application running.   Reboot and try to delete more.    Keep this folder cleaned out.   You might also want to check C:\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 33 of 48
icouture
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

All of those folders are kept clean on my machine on a weekly basis, I doubt that's the issue.

Message 34 of 48

icouture and eric.gauthier,

The behavior certainly does not seem normal. Could you help me answer the following questions?

1) Do you recall what you did right before the performance becomes poor? Created new design view? Changed appearance and material library? Relocated files?

2) Have you contacted Autodesk Product Support about this issue? If yes, what is the Case ID or Defect ID?

3) What particular workflow you see the poor performance? Open file? Edit? Update?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 35 of 48

Hi Mark.Lancaster,

I cleaned up last week these 3 folders:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp (was 8.25 Go)

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Temp

and it seems faster this morning (not lagging) even with 5292 opened files in 3 ****'y like:

BIM-001-00000.iam (33 603 occurences)

VHI-001-00001.iam (36 713 occurences)

VHI-001-00002.iam (30 004 occurences)

I'll continue working as usual during the week and get back for a follow up...

Regards,

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 36 of 48

Johnson Shiue,

Thank you for your post. I always appreciate when I see Autodesk is listening to us.

1) Slow performances were mainly a consequence of changing active View or active Level Of Detail. I don't use very much "Positions".

2) I didn't contact Autodesk Product Support for this issue hoping there was going to be a "hotfix" or "SP" coming soon with a solution.

3) Poor performance is lag while zooming, panning, etc. Really, working is almost impossible with large assemblies.

Thank you,

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 37 of 48

Hi! It is hard to tell where the exact problem is without seeing the files, Could you send me an email so I can set up a secure account for you to upload the files?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 38 of 48

Good day,

I think I found something interesting. I can make Inventor fast again in making a "Zoom Extend" of the assembly. I tested it many times in the last weeks and it seems to solve the issue. I don't know why Inventor turns slow sometimes but when it happens, I make a zoom extend of my assembly and it becomes fast again as expected.

Anybody else experiences that?

Thank you,

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 39 of 48

Hi! Based on your description, it sounds like the faceter related. Are there a lot of edges in the area you are trying to zoom in?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 40 of 48

Hello Johnson,

A few minutes ago, I opened a medium-size (9875 occurences) assembly for us (find attached a picture of it) which lags a lot and I can't find how to stop it (Zoom Extend doesn't solve the problem). This assembly is used as a sub-assembly in larger assemblies which doesn't lag all the time!

And guess what? While (10 minutes) I was writing this post, generating a picture of the assembly and disturbed a few minutes by colleagues, the assembly is now very fast, as fats as if it was a simple regular cube!

Is there a delay (normal or not) when we make some operations (like open, suppress, change view, place component, etc) in Inventor that requires Inventor to process a lot of calculation or data retrieval from Vault or anything else I'm don't think of?

Thank you,

PS: Unfortunately I'm not authorized to send you the files.

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report