Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Knurling issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dcolquitt
1608 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2014 Knurling issue

Hello, I am having some difficulty with getting my knurls to show in the rendered file. They look fine on the model however when I render it in Inventor it removes them. I should note that I didn't actually cut the knurls in to the physical model, I just used the properties tab to change the face appearance. Any suggestions would help and be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
spackle42
in reply to: dcolquitt

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure someone here has a solution, but please post your files if possible, or a sample file showing the issue you're having.  If it's a large file, roll the end of part up to reduce the file size.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 3 of 8
dcolquitt

Here is the file in question. Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 4 of 8
kwilson_design

Shows up on my end.

Shaded Viz style

shaded mode.jpg

"Realistic" Viz style

realistic mode.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 5 of 8
dcolquitt

I am afraid that I am new to a lot of the aspects of inventor, are you referring to the rendered jpg or the knurling image file? If you are wanting the knurling one, I believe that one comes built into inventor. Sorry if I sound like a newbie and thank you for your help and time in advance.

Message 6 of 8
dcolquitt
in reply to: kwilson_design

Although I completely forgot about that appearance tab, I did notice that when I shift to the rendering aspect of inventor studio it goes back to a smooth surface. Is there a way to make it show up in there or would I have to actually cut them into the part to get them to show up? 

Message 7 of 8
kwilson_design

FWIW I don't use Inventor Studio because it's very basic and limiting in terms of generating realistic renders. However I do notice that IV Studio doesn't represent the relief pattern of the knurled Apperance as well as it does outside of IV Studio. So yes I'm seeing it look more smooth yet I still see some of the bitmap coming through when using IV Studio. Not entirely smooth like yours appears to be.

If you want more realistic renders I would suggest looking into Showcase or other programs (Bunkspeed, Keyshot, Fryrender, etc). Also if you have an Autodesk Product Design Suite that includes 3DS Max then you can get better renders than you would with Inventor. 

Here is what my IV Studio looked like with your file....

Image.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 8 of 8
dcolquitt
in reply to: kwilson_design

Ok thank you for your time. Also you have one heck of a computer setup. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report