Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 gives me error "Cannot open XML file"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mjgky30SA
3500 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2013 gives me error "Cannot open XML file"

When I open a file in Inventor 2013 I get the error message "cannot open XML file" for 20 or more files.(See attachment) This has only been an issue since 2013 was installed. What do I need to do to correct this? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mpatchus
in reply to: mjgky30SA

Check your project file.

It looks like your project file is pointing to the wrong location for the Design Data folder.

If Inventor was installed with the Design Data in a location other than the default location, you will need to repoint to the correct location.

Design Data.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: mpatchus

check project file and Application Options > Files tab.  App Options controls this unless it is defined otherwise in the project file.  The default location is at the Design Data folder level-- my installation, at least, doesn't have a folder named "XLS13" under it.

Message 4 of 6
maximebouch
in reply to: SBix26

its kinda hard to just skip it cause its that project file that the vault use and there is only one project file

so the project file itself have to be edited? what the process to do so?

Message 5 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: maximebouch

Where is your Design Data folder?  Look under Application Options > Files tab, and also in your project file under File Options.  What do those locations say?

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 R3 SP1 Update 1
Vault Basic 2016 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Autodesk_Inventor_Certified_Professional_Badge.png

Message 6 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: maximebouch

@maximebouch wrote:

its kinda hard to just skip it cause its that project file that the vault use and there is only one project file

so the project file itself have to be edited? what the process to do so?

Since you are not the original poster of this message can you please give more detailed information?

Shows us a picture of the error you are receiving..

Show us a picture of your project file settings.

The original poster just had their project file setup incorrectly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums