Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 frequent crashes

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
vmcarbonneau
4761 Views, 36 Replies

Inventor 2013 frequent crashes

Hello everyone,

We are experiencing frequent crashes since we installed Inventor 2013 (3-4 times a day). We use HP  Z400 and Dell M6600 with latest drivers.

Anyone have the same issue ?

Thank you,

Vincent

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
mrattray
in reply to: vmcarbonneau

Do you have a space ball?

Do you use IV during times of Easterly winds?

Do you wear mismatched socks?

Do you hold the left mouse button and hit enter at the same time while creating an offset workplane?

Do you actually expect to be able to get work done?

Join the club. I've NEVER had to deal with such a terrible piece of bug ridden software.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 37
vmcarbonneau
in reply to: mrattray

I use a spaceball.

Usually we wait for the 1st service pack before upgrading but were excited to use the cable&harness module. Now we are loosing tons of time.

We are 4 experiencing the same problem.

We will still get the work done ! I now save every 10 sec.

Considering the problem we have, it's very frustrating to pay for this ''upgrade''. Probably wont buy other releases for 2-3 years.

Message 4 of 37
mrattray

If you select work geometery and move your space ball at the same time IV explodes. I just made a thread earlier throwing a fit about it. You're going to have to either deal with the crashing or put it up on your tower and get reaquainted with IV's antiquainted view controls.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 37
ChrisMitchell01

A fix for this issue is currently being tested - we hope to release it by the end of next week.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 37
vmcarbonneau

We don't have the same issue, Inventor randomly crashes, we can't find a patern.

Message 7 of 37

I looked up the crash reports from Tecnar - I see 11 of them. They are all due to 2 issues:

Spaceball issue mentioned here

Inventor Vault add-in crash

Both are being hotfixed within a week.

I do not see any reports under your name though. They are all from "mguinard". Are you submitting your reports & if so, which email address are you using ? (If you prefer, you can send it to me privately).

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 37
vmcarbonneau

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your answer.
No I am not sending my reports, neither the other Engineers. Now I see it's a good idea, we will send them.
I am waiting for the Hotfixes,
Message 9 of 37
karthur1

I have been seeing several myself.  I do not use a spaceball, but I do use Vault.  I have seen crashes while editing ipts, inserting parts in iams, saving assemblies, saving parts....etc.  They are just random crashes.  I can go back and try to reproduce them with the exact steps and it doesnt do it the second time.

Well yesterday when I was editing a pattern in a iam, I changed the array from 4 items to 11 and it crashed.  It crashed when I did it the second time, but not the third.

I have tried repair and reinstalling... nothing seems to help.

Message 10 of 37
QuasiMojo
in reply to: karthur1

Never install a new version of Inventor until a service pack is released, unless you absolutely have to.

Message 11 of 37
karthur1
in reply to: QuasiMojo

Never install a new version of Inventor until a service pack is released, unless you absolutely have to.

Now what if everyone had that attitude?......Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 37
lennart.losjo
in reply to: QuasiMojo

Hi.

The problem is, if no one installs a new release until the first update is released, there will never be any input to ADSK. And then it´s not going to be any updates due the lack of input to ADSK from users. Smiley Surprised

Regards

Lennart Losjö

Application Engineer

Cadcraft Borås AB

Message 13 of 37

A hotfix was released today to address the issues related to using Inventor with Vault. it can be downloaded from :

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19384851&linkID=9261341

karthur1 - many of your crashes seem to be related to this. I would encourage all Inventor-vault users to install this.

For those of you that use 3D Connexion devices, the fix for that issue is now looking to be released at the end of this week, or early next.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 37
QuasiMojo
in reply to: lennart.losjo

Not quite right, I think.  A certain amount of feedback/bug fixing will inevitably come to light only through use and that is fine; however, I feel that Autodesk has overly burdened the users with underdeveloped releases.  As such, I will not update until a service pack is released because I do not want to moonlight as an Autodesk QA engineer, pro-bono, while trying to perform my real job.  If I could be confident that the new revision wouldn't grind my work to a halt I might be willing to chip-in (again).  The onus is on Autodesk to release a stable, professional-grade platform.  We have our own work to do.  If I purchase a tool that breaks frequently, I stop buying that tool.  If I have to keep repairing an inexpensive tool it becomes expensive.  Autodesk isn't doing enough QA, in my opinion, and the new version are too buggy to be adopted upon release.  The balance isn't quite right.

Message 15 of 37
karthur1
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Will definetly install this and give it a try.

Thanks

Message 16 of 37
mrattray
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

@ChrisMitchell01 wrote:

A hotfix was released today to address the issues related to using Inventor with Vault. it can be downloaded from :

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19384851&linkID=9261341

karthur1 - many of your crashes seem to be related to this. I would encourage all Inventor-vault users to install this.

For those of you that use 3D Connexion devices, the fix for that issue is now looking to be released at the end of this week, or early next.

Thanks,
Chris

Any progress on this?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 17 of 37

Hello,

A significant proportion of my crashes happen after I highlight a feature, a sketch etc and twist the spacemouse one way or another, is the hotfix for 3DConnexion devices going to address this?

It is very frustrating to be working with IV at the moment. Smiley Mad

My crash reports are coming in under dave.streets.

Thanks

Scott

Message 18 of 37

I had to put mine on top of my tower to keep my hand off of it. As crippled and naked as I feel without it, it's better then crashing every 2 minutes.

I've been at work for 3 hours and I lost count of how many times IV crashed already (with the space ball on the tower not being touched), so I know all about being frustrated with Inventor!

To clarify my earlier post, I'm asking about the space ball hotfix. The vault problem doesn't apply to me.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 19 of 37
psouza

In my particular, the crashes is occurring when I highlights any part or subassembly. I just click in the part and the IV is to closed. I tried to use this hotfix for Vault but it didn't work out and I didn't use the spaceball.

Message 20 of 37
danzco

I have to agree with the comment about feeling crippled without the space mouse.  Inventor's built in rotate functionality is almost completely useless.  It's very unfortunate that the last two releases (2012 and 2013) have had significant bugs related to using a space mouse.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report