Inventor General Discussion

Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 1 of 63 (4,909 Views)

Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

4909 Views, 62 Replies
05-14-2012 05:52 PM

Hi

Please can someone help, Hopefully it's a setting or something I have done incorrectly.

When working in detail drawings inventor progessivly gets slower, the more information on the drawing, the worse it gets.

I was watching the task manager, For ANY command, the 1st core runs at 100% for up to 30 seconds, while this is happening, Inventor is dead.

EG, add a revision row, delete a symbol, zoom in or out, pan, add a dimension, move a leader etc.

for each command/move takes 10 to 30 seconds to get control, it took me 45 minutes, to add a revision row and print 15 drawings this morning.

Please help, it realy is slowing me down.

Reg
Autodesk PDS Ultimate 2015 Update 1 Build 159
Intel Core i7 (950@3.07GHz)/Win7x64 (Home) - 12GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Please Give Kudo's / accept as a solution if it fixes your problem.
Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 2 of 63 (4,890 Views)

Re: Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

05-14-2012 10:21 PM in reply to: rhasell

This is killing me, I realy hope someone can help otherwise I am screwed.

:smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:

Reg

*Pro
sbixler
Message 3 of 63 (4,872 Views)

05-15-2012 03:59 AM in reply to: rhasell

Something is definitely wrong-- your machine specs look good.  The only suggestion I have, and one that I have very little confidence in, is to check your virus scanner, make sure that it is not real-time scanning Inventor documents.  But even if it is, it should make at most a few seconds difference in opening and saving, not this kind of incredibly bad performance just to execute a zoom or pan.

Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 4 of 63 (4,866 Views)

05-15-2012 04:22 AM in reply to: rhasell
Thanks, I will have a look in the morning. One way to get around it is to open each file individually, make changes, then work on the next document.

I had all 15 drawings open of which 5 were of the same GA. This has never been a problem up until now? The GA drawings are the worst.

One other thing, I did not use the task manager to migrate my files, I have always migrated with "save".

Reg

e.pearman
Message 5 of 63 (4,849 Views)

05-15-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: rhasell

I am having the SAME issue as well.  Very poor perfomance in the .idw area. HELP!  I tried to go back to 2012 but cannot.  I installed 2013 Ultimate yesterday and wish i hadn't.

Precision 690 - Dual Zeon

Win7/64

32GB Ram

Valued Contributor
stevenguy
Message 6 of 63 (4,836 Views)

05-15-2012 06:37 AM in reply to: e.pearman

Every new version of Inventor has new feature new option more tool to load and it getting slower that is why we need to upgrade PC every 1 or 2 years to keep up with new software.

The (.idw) slow could be many thing related. I don't thinkk Inventor 2013. Unless you have 2 Inventor version open and compare.

There are few thing you may want to check your model.

1. Is the assembly or part up to date?

2. Do you use any view prep in your IDW?

3. Any positional view use in IDW?

4. Do all your view in IDW like detail and section view are lock down?

5.How many sheets do you have in your idw? Too many sheet could make the file bigger.

6. Are all the view up to date if not you may want to open the assembly and update all the view prep or position view then save and update your idw view.

I don't have Inv 2013 to try yet but I am using 2012 and the idw update can use multip core and it help a lot for idw.

I wish assembly can use muplti core soon.

Keep playing 

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2012
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 7 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 7 of 63 (4,795 Views)

Re: Inventor 2013 extremly slow in IDW's

05-15-2012 04:52 PM in reply to: stevenguy

Every new version of Inventor has new feature new option more tool to load and it getting slower that is why we need to upgrade PC every 1 or 2 years to keep up with new software.

Goodness me, if my machine is too small, then I shudder to think what is going to happen to a LOT of people out there, as I think that my machine is pretty good, not the best, but definately big enough for inventor.

The (.idw) slow could be many thing related. I don't thinkk Inventor 2013. Unless you have 2 Inventor version open and compare.

I do have a comparison, everything was done in 2012, I then upgraded to 2013, all files were migrated, I had to make some minor adjustments to the drawings, up the revision, and then print. I had no issues with 2012.

There are few thing you may want to check your model.

1. Is the assembly or part up to date?

-Yes, but always worth checking, it does cause issues.

2. Do you use any view prep in your IDW?

Yes, I do use them a lot. Do these cause issues, perhaps I should go back to LOD?

3. Any positional view use in IDW?

No.

4. Do all your view in IDW like detail and section view are lock down?

Not sure I understand, Some sectional views are locked down (Dimensioned) and Detail views are not anchored.

Does this cause performance issues?

5.How many sheets do you have in your idw? Too many sheet could make the file bigger.

One sheet per drawing only. (Occasionally Dummy sheets (blank) for page numbering and Parts List mods) (http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/balloon-renumbering-across-sheets.html)

(FYI for anyone, When using the task manager, you don't have to worry about file naming)

6. Are all the view up to date if not you may want to open the assembly and update all the view prep or position view then save and update your idw view.

Always updating them, now that you mention it, there was a strange issue, I use a view rep to hide the fastners in some views, but for some reason or other a few bolts remained visible, regardless of the settings?

I also change the colour/weight of lines to "grey out" areas on the drawing, enabling better visibilty of important areas. (Use this on various marking plans on the GA)

Thanks for the reply, I do hope we can fix this, hopefully Autodesk will patch it soon.

Reg

Mentor
trumpy81
Message 8 of 63 (4,778 Views)

05-15-2012 09:59 PM in reply to: rhasell

There are two possible reasons that come to mind for the slow performance in drawings. First off, check that you have all the latest .NET framework updates installed and that they are not giving issues.

Open 'event viewer' in Windows and look for any errors relating to .NET framework.

Second possible reason is your graphic card drivers. Update to the latest drivers from the manufacturers website and make sure that they are installed correctly. If you already have the latest drivers installed, then open 'Device Manager' and uninstall them. Reboot the machine and let Windows re-install the drivers for you. You may have to reboot again, but in most cases not.

Hopefully, that will get you sorted, if not just holler!! :smileyhappy:

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 9 of 63 (4,769 Views)

05-15-2012 11:28 PM in reply to: trumpy81

Thanks, I will give it a try.

I have not had any issues today, as I am working with the individual files.

I looked through the logs, but could not find any relevant .NET errors.

I will re-install the graphics card driver, The driver has "clean install" option which removes all traces of the previous versions.

@Steve

I have been playing around with LOD instead of Design View Reps (DVR), it does drop the file sizes,(As it should) but I have gotten so used to DVR, it is going to be a big change. (Can't use it in the Parts list filter) I prefer DVR now, but each one has its merits, one handy feature is being able to open the assembly from the drawing.

Reg

Distinguished Contributor
cmcconnell
Message 10 of 63 (4,748 Views)

05-16-2012 04:48 AM in reply to: rhasell

We have seen some performance issue with iDWS that have shaded views. We have had reasonable luck changing the shaded views to unsghaded while we are working on the idw, and changing it back when we are done.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube