Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

66 REPLIES 66
SOLVED
Message 1 of 67
rhasell
7373 Views, 66 Replies

Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

Hi

Please can someone help, Hopefully it's a setting or something I have done incorrectly.

When working in detail drawings inventor progessivly gets slower, the more information on the drawing, the worse it gets.

I was watching the task manager, For ANY command, the 1st core runs at 100% for up to 30 seconds, while this is happening, Inventor is dead.

EG, add a revision row, delete a symbol, zoom in or out, pan, add a dimension, move a leader etc.

for each command/move takes 10 to 30 seconds to get control, it took me 45 minutes, to add a revision row and print 15 drawings this morning.

Please help, it realy is slowing me down.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
66 REPLIES 66
Message 41 of 67
ToreM82
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

I have been running Compability Mode all yesterday, but have not made any noticeable difference for me.

We rarely use shaded views, idw's I've been working with now doesn't have shaded views.

Needer does it have hatching

Idw is often really slow when i select, edit, delete and move text, balloons, revisions, model views etc...

Ipn is almost the same way. When i double click a part i want to tweak the tweak component pops up fast, thats when trouble starts. when i want to select direction or add component inventor freezes for 4-15s (some times more,)  before the part are highlighted and i can select. If i then hover cursor over other components the highlight shows immediately. When adding components it starts all over.

iam is some times as above, when i use measure tool...

@ChrisMitchell01 wrote:

ToreM82

When you say you have the same problems,  can you please confirm :

• Compatibility mode improves general drawing performance for you

Or

• Using Bitmap mode for shaded views improves performance

What problems do you have with IPN's ? Performance or otherwise ? Are you able to share any examples ?

Thanks,
Chris

Message 42 of 67
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: ToreM82

One thing you can try in your assembly & IPN file is to remove all unused styles using the Purge command, or via a Task Scheduler batch task.

Would you be able to share an example of one of your problem ipn/idw files ?

You can email me at chrisDOTmitchellATautodeskDOTcom & I will provide you a way to get the data if it's too large for email.

Please aslo include mention of your h/w configuration including graphics driver info.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 43 of 67
ToreM82
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Files sent!

Message 44 of 67
aguitton116
in reply to: rhasell

Hi,

I'm a french Autodesk VAR and one of my customer has the exact same problem on his 3 mobile workstations (Dell Precision M6600 with french windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, 8Go, intel i7 2860QM, NVidia Quadro 4000M), with Inventor 2013 french or Inv Pro 2013 french.

With a single cube with one counterbore hole in it, the IDW is very slow with 4 views and some dimensions.

Here is what I noticed :

- it's and NVidia graphic card (I precise this point because on my Dell Precision M6500, win 7 Pro x64 SP1, 8Go, intel i7 Q820, Ati Firepro M7740, Inventor Pro Factory design suite ultimate 2013 french) I don't have the problem.

- there is no more problem (or at least much less problem) when Inventor is not in full screen.

- when starting the new drawing there is no problem for about 2 minutes, then it starts to slow down.

I did the exact same modifications on the two workstations and on the M6600 with nvidia GC I have the problem in less than one minute (after adding a few dimensions) whereas on mine with ATI GC I don't have any problem.

I'll try to update the graphic driver to the version recommanded by autodesk on the website and see if it's better.

edit : it's not better nor worse. Other thing I noticed :

- the only things that are slow here are panning, zooming, and rotating (for a 3D model) and zooming is not affected with mouse scrolling. It's really probably a graphics issue in my case. I can move views, add dimensions and so on quite smoothly. But it's still maybe a lead ?

Message 45 of 67
ChrisMitchell01

Hi,

We did some further tests to compare nVidia & ATI cards & we definitely see better graphics performance (pan, zoom), when working in Compatibility mode, on cards from both vendors. Note that for the change to compatibility mode to take effect you need to exit Inventor completely. This only applies to drawings though.

Performance mode still yields much better results in parts/assemblies though.

Can you confirm if you exited Inventor when you were doing your tests & changing to compatibility ?

Thanks,
Chris 

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 46 of 67

Hi, we did more testing here as well. Here is what happen in our case :

- at the beginning it works fine and fluently then after a few dimensions or annotations are made on the drawing, it starts to slow down (1 core at 100%)

- the pan shortcut on the mouse center button doesn't really work anymore (and the processor has one core at 100% for inventor, even when the button is released)

- the zoom on the mouse wheel works fine

- the functions keys (F2, F3 and F4 if we then open the 3D model) works but not in real time : I can use it but I see the view updated only when I release the key. For example I want to pan the view, so I press F2, click on the mouse and move it. I should see the view moving in real time when I move the mouse but I don't, however as soon as I release F2 key the view is paned (same behavior for zooming and rotating the view with the keys or the buttons)

- I think none of the buttons in Inventor button works anymore (I didn't test everything but for example export > pdf shows no window, save as neither, options, neither...) but if I choose the function in the ribbon or the quick access toolbar, or by RMB it works

- when we switch to a lower screen resolution, it tends to work better but not always. I tried several times when the drawing was "locked" to switch to 1280*1024 instead of 1920*1080 and I get the fluidity back for a moment (without changing anything on the drawing, nor closing Inventor). If I go back to 1920*1080 > slow performance, back to 12880*1024 > fluid. Some times it didn't work.

- I had the same behavior being in compatibility mode or performance mode, or even with hardware renderer checked.

Well, here is what I can tell here. Maybe can someone with the problem see if changing the screen resolution helps. I doen't work each time but in most of the cases it did.

I hope it will help to debug this problem.

Message 47 of 67
LishuangLu

Hi aguitton116,

I haven't seen the performance before, and also tried in my side with a desktop workstaiton with NVIDIA Quadro 4000 card and resolution 1920x1080, still could not reproduce. So below are some items I want to confirm with you to help up dianose this problem:

1. For your Dell M6600 workstation, have you tried the certified driver which was posted in Autodesk public hardware certified page?

http://download.autodesk.com/prodsupp/inventor/Graphics/nv_mobile/dell/M6600/266.96_VIDEO_DRVR_WIN_R...

2. Have you ever met such problem with Inventor 2012?

3. Can you send the drawing file to us? You can send it to Chris, and I will get from him.

Thanks,

-Lisa (Inventor QA)

Message 48 of 67

Hi all,

I came in this discussion because I have exactly the same problems as aguitton116 describes in his post 46.

I'm a french Factroy design suite Premium user.

Hard : DELL M6600 + Windows 7 64 bit + CPU Intel core i7 2820QM 2,30 GHz + Nvidia Quadro 4000M + 16 Go RAM.

I'm working on files originally made in Inventor 2012 or even 2011 (it's a huge and long project). I've never seen this beore. Since I installed IFDSPRM : no problem with 3D model (single piece or 10000 pieces assembly). The problem occurs only with IDWs : even with a single simple part : when I put a single dimension or note, the pan zoom with the mouse middle button is no more working, all other zooms are very slow,...as I said : exactly the same situation described by aguitton116.

Historic of my 2013 version installation :

I first mis- downloaded the full english version pachage. Then I noticed it when I started installation and downloaded the additionnal french language pack to avoid another 26 Go full download. After this I started to work and noticed the problem.

I installed then Inventor SP1 and latest Nvidia drivers (as well as the driver indicated by your link in post 47) : no changes.

I also noticed that when I launched the English version (because when you downlaod the french pack you can launch english or french version) the problem was not occuring.

Then I thought the problem came from french language pack. I decided to downlaod the full french IFDSPRM a nd installed it --> problem still here.

I unistalled it and installed onl the full english version again : no more problem!! yeah!!

Maybe the problem comes from the french version?

NB : I have another colleague user who had the same problem but he tried another solution : complete re-installation of laptop starting from Windows : he also solved the problem (but this solution is a bit long to migrate from v2012 to v2013....)

I hope this will contribute to help you solve this problem.

Daniel.

Message 49 of 67

I had an idw that opened after 43 min. I just saved it, closed and then it opened straight away. I restarted the PC to clean the RAM. Then it opened after 4 min. I have recently updated with update 2 for Inventor, so I think that was the solution. Maybe Inventor had a save issue in earlier updates?

Message 50 of 67

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your detail information about the performance issue you met. We will have some investigation on Inventor with french language pack, see whether we can reproduce the same problem as you, will keep you update if we have more findings.

Thanks,

-Lisa

Message 51 of 67
LishuangLu

Hi Daniel,

I've tested your problem locally with an HP workstation xw4600 (Inventor 2013, Win7x64 and nvidia quadro 4000 graphics card).

I installed the French language pack, and compare the drawing performance with French Inventor to English version, what I see is that, the performance with these inventors behave the same, I didn't see obvious slowness on French version.

My drawing dataset also includes various annotations, such as text, dimension, etc.

If you have another more information that can help me reproduce this problem, please let me know. And I will continue monitoring this issue on another machine.

Thanks,

-Lisa

Message 52 of 67
dennishoegh
in reply to: LishuangLu

I have the exact same problem as aguitton116 and Daniel.

Pan and rotate doesn't work "Live" either on F2/F4 or with the mouse wheel click. It does work, but you can't see where you pan or rotate it to, until you release the button. Also, the Viewcube is rendered useles. I can't even highlight the parts of the cube, but pressing a few times on eg. a corner of the cube, I see my view rotating with very poor performance to the right angle. Mouse wheel zooms fine.

Funny thing is: Previous View (F5) and Home View (F6), both works like a charm. Rotation is smooth.

I've tried everything I can think of, including:

1. Removing ALL Autodesk products -> cleaned the Registry Database and removed all Autodesk-related file folders -> Installed only Inventor 2013 from the Product Design Suite.

2. Turning off all the add-ins, and fiddling with every option related to graphics and performance.

3. Thinking it could be my dual monitor setup, I tried running on 1 screen.

The performance in general is poor, with minor peaks with the CPU going nuts, and the application stalling a little.

I've had no issues like these in Inventor 2011 and 2012 (Although we have had a lot of other issues)

I don't even dare trying upgrade the Vault Server to 2013. Going back to Inventor 2012 for now.

By the way, I'm running English only.

Specs:

HP Z400 Workstation

Windows 7 x64

Intel Xeon CPU - E550 @2.27GHz

12,0 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 3800

Message 53 of 67
nhwalters
in reply to: dennishoegh

Having 10+ hours working with a absolute nightmare detailing with Inventor 2013, trying all the previous solutions with no success. I watched my CPU use 1 core continuously, then I used an old trick I had seen before, Run MSCONFIG, BOOT, ADVANCED ticked Number of processors to 8, which is my maximum and rebooted. This was a fix prevoiusly not discussed but was a solution to a nightmare to absolute heaven, being able use Inventor as it was designed. I hope this will help others that has had no succes trying fix something that should not need fixing.

Message 54 of 67
daniel.albenesius

Hi Lisa, I?m not surprized you could reproduce my problem on your machine as there are so many parameters that can be different. However, I?m now working on english version and will wait for v2014 to re-install fench version (or maybe I?ll check if a SP2 is coming) Thx for your involvment, Cordialement, Daniel ALBENESIUS Ing?nieur ENSAIS cedeti ing?nierie 4, rue Gutenberg - BP 159 67723 HOERDT Cedex t?l. : 00.33.(0)3.88.69.25.25 port. : 00.33.(0)6.85.77.04.58 fax : 00.33.(0)3.88.69.25.00 e-mail : daniel.albenesius@cedeti.fr site web :www.cedeti.fr
Message 55 of 67

daniel,

Today we found a machine from a partner which has similar issue as you met (French Inventor drawing performance issue). We have notice the problem. We tried to unload/reload addins, after we unload all addins (then close inventor, restart Inventor, try the workflow) we still reproduce it, but after we reload addins (then close Inventor, restart Inventor, try the workflow) we can't reproduce the problem anymore. This is a little weird, but hope next time, if you meet the same problem, you can try to unload/reload addins and see whether it can be resolved.

We will continue following up this problem with more investigation based on datasets and environments.
Please let us more information if you have.

Thanks,
-Lisa
Message 56 of 67
LishuangLu
in reply to: dennishoegh

Hello dennishoegh ,

For the performance issue you met, seems yours is different from the one met by Daniel, his problem is only with French lanuage Inventor.

Did you see this problem with specific drawings or any drawing has such kind of issue?

How about your graphics driver, is it an up to date one? or the latest one certified by Autodesk? or still an old one?

Thanks for providing this information in advance, thank will be helpful to us to dianose this problem.

Thanks,

-Lisa

Message 57 of 67
PierreP

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem.

The problem appears when I click Annotate tab in the ribbon.

I solve this with uncheck Use visual styles on windows and buttons in Windows Performance Options OR if I choose another Ribbon Appearance (Small or Compact).

Regards

Pierre

Application Engineer

Greenock CAD Service  (VAR)

www.greenock.eu

Message 58 of 67
rschader
in reply to: PierreP

I just happened across this issue with 2013 here, and I noticed a new context menu item for views called "Keep Legacy Body Status" which was checked for each view. After reading up on how turning it off is permanent and such, I tried making the switch by unchecking it in each view, and my performance seems to have improved many fold (I also set my hardware options to "Compatible with previous versions of Inventor", that might have helped a little?) Pretty sure display hardware had little to do with my renumber balloons macro going from renumbering balloons in a couple seconds to almost a minute per balloon though!

Message 59 of 67
swhite

Is the model very complex (alot of complex shapes or very large? Also are any of the assemblies derived as derived parts? Not as in derived from a multipart file. Do you have bolted connections in your model?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 60 of 67
rschader
in reply to: swhite

swhite, assuming you are talking to me:

Is the model very complex (alot of complex shapes or very large?

Nope, not really.

Also are any of the assemblies derived as derived parts? Not as in derived from a multipart file.

A few, not many. I try to minimize the use of derived parts.

Do you have bolted connections in your model?

Nope again.

I did not notice this issue when first using 2013, as I was creating new drawings, not migrating. I noticed it after starting work on some migrated drawings, and as I;ve said, it appears to me that view option to "Keep legacy body status" was the culprit. Everything is fine now that I turned that off.

I see you are only upto using Inventor 2011 according to your signature?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report