Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

66 REPLIES 66
SOLVED
Message 1 of 67
rhasell
7364 Views, 66 Replies

Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

Hi

Please can someone help, Hopefully it's a setting or something I have done incorrectly.

When working in detail drawings inventor progessivly gets slower, the more information on the drawing, the worse it gets.

I was watching the task manager, For ANY command, the 1st core runs at 100% for up to 30 seconds, while this is happening, Inventor is dead.

EG, add a revision row, delete a symbol, zoom in or out, pan, add a dimension, move a leader etc.

for each command/move takes 10 to 30 seconds to get control, it took me 45 minutes, to add a revision row and print 15 drawings this morning.

Please help, it realy is slowing me down.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
66 REPLIES 66
Message 21 of 67
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: trumpy81

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Aluminum?s=ts

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 22 of 67
trumpy81
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

GDay Ray,

I always wondered about the origin of the word, now I know ... Smiley LOL

But tell me, how does a Koala up a tree find these things? Smiley Tongue

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 23 of 67
eman6398
in reply to: rhasell

I had to turn off backround updates of the views. there is a box to uncheck in your application options under the drawing tab.

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

Message 24 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: eman6398

Hi

I will try the Background update setting once again, my first experience was not successful, if anything just a general slow down across the board, so I switched it back on again.

I get the impression that I am only one of a handful of users with this problem, so drastic steps might be the order of the day.

I have considered rebuilding my computer, (Full format etc)

Then obviously re-installing Inventor, but logged in as admin and no antivirus etc.

Just a thought.

Reg
Message 25 of 67
rheiden

I had a hard drive go out so installed 2013 fresh on new HD, but experiencing all the same problems. The problems seem to be getting worse. Now I am having the views disappear, along with exporting an idw taking 40-60 minutes. Not sure what is different with 2013 but would like to switch back to 2012. Only problem is everything has been migrated to 2013. Hope to have an answer from Autodesk soon.

Message 26 of 67
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: rheiden

Reg,

Have you sent an example of this "slow drawing" to anyone at Autodesk ? Any additional info that might help us identify what's going on ?

Send me an email at chrisDOTmitchell@autodeskDOTcom & I'll arrange to get the data.

I know what a pain in the arse debugging issues like this can be... (yes, that is an "arse" not an "****", as I  speak English, even though I live/work in the US. Rule Brittania 🙂

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 27 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Chris. Thanks, I will send you an email on Monday, I took a video of my workflow, it is 400MB. It was the first time doing it, so I did not add audio. But I will send a description. I do have an account on the Autodesk server for a previous upload. I can't really send any fdrawings, as they are have the same issue. I don't think it's a drawing problem, it is something on the backend. There is one observation, I suspect something with the Rev cloud, I am not sure, but when I work with rev clouds, it happens quicker.
Reg
Message 28 of 67
jorgen

Hi, I am experiencing the same slow idw for large assemblies. Turning shaded plot off helps alot. But I need my idws with shaded plots... I¨m seeing the same processer load, the first thread goes 100% and Inventor hangs for about 30sec, this happens with every thing I do in the idw. (moving the view, zoom, pan etc) 

In my case I do believe this is related to shaded plots. I¨m seeing the same with my workstation as well as my laptop. Same model/idw was NOT a problem with the previous release. 

I¨ve been with Inventor since release 4 I believe, and with one of the early releases, 4-7 ?, there was a similar problem. But I do not remember what...

Hopefully Autodesk can look into this.

Regards, 
Jørgen 

-------------------------------------------------------
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection

Message 29 of 67
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: jorgen

Jørgen,

Try going to Document Settings, Drawing Tab & change to "Always" for Use Bitmap, & select a suitable resolution - see attached image. This should allow you to still have shaded views but with improved performance. The shaded image quality won't be quite as good as it was previously, but it should be a worthwhile trade-off for better performance.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 67
jorgen

Hi, thanks for the advice, that actually helps. I am now able to move the views around and work with them.

I still feel in general that my drawings are a lot slower in this release than in previous. Telling a view (unshaded as well) to become associative freezes Inventor dead. But that might be another thread.

I really think this release has serious problems with idws. Im currently seeing the same problems with my two computers, and I did not have this problems with 2012. My templates and project files as well as idws, ipt, iams are migrated. (also libraries)

Jørgen 

Message 31 of 67
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: jorgen

Jørgen,

Are you able to share an example of this drawing with us for further investigation ?

You can email me at chrisDOTmitchellATautodeskDOTcom & then I can provide you with a mechanism to get the data to us, assuming it's too large for email.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 32 of 67
rhasell

Hi all.

Chris has spent some time trying to debug my problem and came with some suggestions, as he could not reproduce my problem.

Needless to say, I still have the problem, I have just learnt to work around it, by restarting Inventor often, sometimes after working with one drawing at a time.

These did make a noticeable difference, I can work for a little longer than usual

- Set the system swap file to a fixed size, in my case 18gig

- Set the Inventor Undo to 2 gig, I set mine to 4gig

- Re-install/repair c++ and dotnet, this I have not done, as I am scared of destroying windows.

Hopefully Autodesk will find the problem, and release a patch soon.

Reg
Message 33 of 67
DVDM

Run the application from the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

I've used it many times to try and troubleshoot mysterious slowdowns and lockups. It allows you see what your computer is doing while Inventor just shows 100% processor activity and ever increasing ram usage, but nothing else.

By applying a filter for the inventor.exe processes, or various other processes, you're better able to track down what the issue is.

For example, I once had a mysterious slowdown of AutoCAD and Inventor, and with the help of process monitor was able to determine that it was the windows feature Offline Files that was causing it. I disabled offline files, restarted, and all was well again.

You can wait for a service pack, but unless you've determined what the issue is (which is likely on your side if someone else can't reproduce it), it will never get fixed.

Message 34 of 67
johnsonshiue

Reg,

Chris forwarded this issue to me along with the files you shared with him. I am able to reproduce the behavior you are seeing. So far I have not been able to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

I do notice the assembly the drawing is referencing needs an update. After updating the assembly and saving all the files shown in the save dialog, I see the perofrmance seems to be better. Could you confirm that?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 35 of 67
jorgen
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, I¨ve received e-mail from Chris regarding this. When using Bitmap allways, the performance is better. I allways makes sure the files are up to date, but the packngo you received might not have been. 

As mentioned in e-mail, I will use the bitmap mode, making sure all is up to date and hopefully we will see a service patch for this in the future. 

Thanks for your efforts.

Jørgen

Message 36 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson

Regarding your post, Thanks, it's hard to say, as I am continually updating and refreshing as the build continues.

I have made a change which has all but eliminated the slow down.

I changed the Graphics setting to "Compatibility"

Guess what it works, The overall performance has dropped off, but its a small price to pay for stability.

At this stage I have not experienced the dreaded performance drop off, only time will tell.  Making this setting has it's own set of display issues, Views disappearing temporarily, leaders and balloons look really strange while placing them, but after placement, they look fine.

The overall modeling side has had a slight performance knock as well, but not much.

I tried the Performance monitor the other day, works well, but to diagnose the information and to see what is acceptable errors becomes quite tricky, I did notice a few file not found and path errors regarding dotNET and the registry?

Reg
Message 37 of 67
rhasell

Quick Update....

Did about 30 drawings this morning.

Still working yay!

Reg
Message 38 of 67
ChrisMitchell01

Hi Reg,

Thanks for confirming your findings; by coincidence we also noted that for certain drawings, (yours included), we are seeing better performance in the Compatibility mode, (Tools, App Options, Hardware tab for anyone else reading this).

We are investigating why this is the case, (since using that option essentially reverts the graphics engine to what it was a couple of releases ago), & will post an update once any definite conclusions are drawn.

Many Thanks,

Chris 

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 39 of 67
ToreM82

I have the same issues as discribed, but also have problems in presentation files(ipn).

I'll be watching this hoping for a solution!

PC:

Intel Xeon 2.4GHz

6GB ram

Win7 64

Nvidia quadro FX1800

Message 40 of 67
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: ToreM82

ToreM82

When you say you have the same problems,  can you please confirm :

• Compatibility mode improves general drawing performance for you

Or

• Using Bitmap mode for shaded views improves performance

What problems do you have with IPN's ? Performance or otherwise ? Are you able to share any examples ?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report