Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
n.k.timofeev
Message 1 of 34 (3,426 Views)

Inventor 2013 Crashes Instantly

3426 Views, 33 Replies
09-27-2012 08:08 AM

Hello everyone,

Never hoped I would use one of this forums, but it seems like I need your help. Did I mention? - I NEED YOUR HELP!

So this was really weird. I installed 2013 version about a month ago and it worked great! Haven't used it for 2 weeks and yesterday, tried opening it, but when I tried creating a new file it crashes. I was surprised. So I tried again, and it still crashed. Then I tried opening an existing file and guess what? It crashed. I tried reinstalling 2013 version. Keeps crashing. It only opens the home screen and once I say create a part file or open a file and after I choose the file in the location, it crashes again. I am so disappointed.

Also tried to install 2012 version, but it wouldn't install it at all!!! It refuses to install anything and shows error.

I am really confused about what happened. Don't seem to have any reasonable explanation.

Hope you all can help!

Let me know if you need to know more, I will try to explain better.

Thanks,

Nikita

Distinguished Mentor
john.retzlaff
Message 2 of 34 (3,417 Views)

Re: Inventor 2013 Crashes Instantly

09-27-2012 09:13 AM in reply to: n.k.timofeev

Are you getting any error messages?

Please post screen shot of crash, if possible.

John Retzlaff
Contributor
n.k.timofeev
Message 3 of 34 (3,417 Views)

09-27-2012 09:15 AM in reply to: john.retzlaff

Yeah I do. But I won't have access to it until later tonigh.

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 34 (3,406 Views)

09-27-2012 09:38 AM in reply to: n.k.timofeev

My guess is at this point you will need to search Google for Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions.

Update and run virus scanner.

Reinstall with virus scanner and UAC turned off.

When you get it reinstalled and verify that all is well - Create a Windows Restore Point.  (and faithfully do this after install of any new program)

Next time restore to date when it worked.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
n.k.timofeev
Message 5 of 34 (3,379 Views)

09-27-2012 04:42 PM in reply to: n.k.timofeev

Here is a screen sht of the error report.

ckesler
Message 6 of 34 (3,219 Views)

10-17-2012 07:57 PM in reply to: n.k.timofeev

Has a solution been found for this? I'm experiencing the exact same problem as OP to the letter. Inventor Pro 2013 worked perfectly a month ago then last week everything went south.

Contributor
n.k.timofeev
Message 7 of 34 (3,216 Views)

10-17-2012 08:03 PM in reply to: ckesler

Hi,

Unfortunately NO!!! I tried many things:

-Uninstalling Inventor with the program Uninstaller

-Deleting Inventor folders in various locations on my drive

-Erasing directory in HKEY

But after hours and hours trying to find a solution nothing worked. Now it's even better - I can't even uninstal the Inventor itself.... Program can't be found. I can't run it. However, during the installation, it shows that the Inventor is present on my computer.

Very interesting situation...

I would suggest not to repeat the steps I did. I keep trying to find time to call the customer service and help me fix it, but never have free time.

Let me know if you find a solution.

ckesler
Message 8 of 34 (3,209 Views)

10-17-2012 08:21 PM in reply to: n.k.timofeev

I have two budies in the same situation. I wonder if a Windows Update or something caused the problems? Everything worked fine until a couple weeks ago.

If I find a solution I will gladly let you know.

Employee
ChrisMitchell01
Message 9 of 34 (3,161 Views)

10-18-2012 01:29 PM in reply to: n.k.timofeev

From the crash reports we've recieved from you, it appears that DirectX might not be properly installed on your systems.

Try running the dxdiag command - ideally you should have DirectX version11 installed for 2013, (although it has been tested back to version 9). If you don't have v11 then see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

Depending on your specific h/w you might also need to update your graphics driver too, after the DirectX upgrade.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Inventor Customer Engagement Team
Autodesk, Inc.

ckesler
Message 10 of 34 (3,097 Views)

10-21-2012 05:19 PM in reply to: n.k.timofeev

I have attempted the Autodesk clean uninstall. Reinstalled the Inventor 2013. Ran dxdiag and attached is the report. Everything appeared to be up to date but I went ahead and attempted to update DirectX and drivers. Also installed recommended maintenance update also attached. Now when opening a file I no longer get error report Inventor just closes.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube