Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 freezes on almost everything.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
machiel.veldkamp
1387 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor 2012 freezes on almost everything.

PROBLEM: Whenever I draw aline, make a constraint, try an extrude; inventor hangs / freezes for 1-30 seconds before executing the command.

SPECS: 
RAM: 16GB DDR3

CPU: Intel Xeon W3690 @3.47Ghz (multitreading so basiccaly 16 cores)

Video: NVidia Quardo 2000 (1GB dedicated ram and 4 GB shared)

Explaination. 

I work in a large company where everyone works with Inventor and everyone has this problem but now I'm sick and tired of it and I want to know WHY this is happening. I will explain:
We work with so called mastersketches, for whom may not know this concept is is the use of a single ipt with all sketches of a/some components in them so they are linked and constrained in that one file. It is a very light and fast methode for large assembly's

I am working on a mastersketch with about 20-30 sketches in them and when I want to use some sketes in a other part (derived) inventor tends to hang on almost every execution for a couple of seconds. 
This is very anoying and time consuming. 
It doesn't matter if I work locally, in the vault or on a network disk, it happens all the time and it pisse me off.

Does anyone recognise this and perhaps has a solution? I tried a lot but nothing seems to work (all settings are optimal and as low as possible)

With kind regards, 

Machiel Veldkamp

The Netherlands

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

my workmate had the same issue, and the project fil was set up badly.

(material library was o nthe server it worked for me but not for him...)

Message 3 of 9

thats not it. All material libs are on the C drive. 

I also have this problem if files are located in my spare-time project which is also located (of course) on the C-drive with all content and everything on the (you guessed it) C drive. 

One thing it may be is the hard drive itself. It may be a 4200RPM drive but I don't know how to check that on windows 7.

EDIT: it's a 15K rpm drive

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Can you attach file(s) here that exhibit this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 9

No I cannot. It's company property and if I share it, then I am in violation. 

Note: I noticed inventor hangs on calculating the area's on a sketch the longest. (a minute or so)

this is true in case of an extrusion (edit or new doesn't matter)

What virus software are you using?  Check task manager to see if any processes other than Inventor are causing CPU spikes during or imediately after the program freezes.  This happens to me whenver McAfee is running a virus scan.

Message 8 of 9
machiel.veldkamp
in reply to: nannerdw

Really, it can't be the cpu. I have a fudging horse on the table here. I have the task manager open almost all the time and the CPU load never hits 20%

Sometimes on one of the 16 cores 100% for a few miliseconds but not really anything else. 

I checked a LOT of things. I checked CPU load, where the ram goes. I checked the SMART status of the HDD, I checked the logbook of windows (yeah here and there a few nothing saying warnings)

But really, I have NO clue what the F is going on. 

Ok so this was the real problem:

our main server is located in Sweden (3000 km from here(1100 miles?)) and the mastersketch (skeleton) which was derivede in a component had to be calculated everytime I added something to my extrusion so bassically. 
I downloaded the whole project on my C: drive and all the problems i had before are gone.

Protip!: DON'T USE NOT-LOCALLY BASED SERVERS
When your in a situation that you're forced to work on a server, always check WHERE that server is based. 

I had experience with servers which were based in the same building with a fast connection but yeah this sucked. 

So thanks for all your replies, it's cool now. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report