Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012- Set Print Area

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
varindersra
1858 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor 2012- Set Print Area

Hi,

Is it possible to set print area in Inventor assembly mode. I have a vertical tall assembly that I want to print. But, when I print it includes the Inventor background as well in the print & because of that I am not able to orient my assembly properly. So, is there a way to get rid of the background or set a print area while printing.

Thanks in advance!

Varinder

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: varindersra

Try using the Windows Snippet tool to capture screen shots for printing.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 10
varindersra
in reply to: mrattray

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I know I could do whatever I want using snapshot & MS Paint. But, I am looking for direct way of doing it from Invantor itself.

Message 4 of 10
mrattray

I don't know of an easy way of getting what your looking for using Inventor alone. The "Snippet" Windows tool will work great for this, try it.

I used it to take this creen shot of a part in Inventor:

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 10
mpatchus

Here's what I do when I need a real quick print of an assembly.

Try dragging your inventor window to approximate the size of the paper.

Zoom to the level of what you want to appear in the print.

print.JPG

Adjust your print setup and do a print preview.

You should get something like this.

Print Preview.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 6 of 10
varindersra
in reply to: mpatchus

Hi,

Thanks for reply. That kind of works for me. But, it would be better if there's an option to set print area or remove background while printing or exporting.

Thanks a lot!

Varinder

Message 7 of 10
blair

Or use the Autodesk Exchange Apps, there is a free App called "Screenshot". In the very upper portion of the Inventor menu screen (top RH) is fully looking two-tone blue X, clicking on this will open the Apps website.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 10
SBix26

Concerning your background printing: printing from a model file will include the background if the App Options is set to 'Gradient', and will not include the background if set to '1 Color'.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 9 of 10
varindersra
in reply to: SBix26

Yes, even though by selecting one color the background doesn't show up in print but it still adds the background area into the print. That what I want to avoid. See attachment for the issue. My print is cming out as shown below.Untitled.jpg

Message 10 of 10
SBix26

Then try rendering in Studio.  It's been a long time since I've done it, but I believe that if you save your render to .png format, you have the option to select Alpha Channel, which eliminates the background.  But that's extra steps to enter the Studio environnment, set up the render, execute, then open the resulting file and print.  But it is the only way I know of to eliminate the background.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report