Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

105 REPLIES 105
SOLVED
Message 1 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
3116 Views, 105 Replies

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

Inventor 2012 is a poor attempt from Autodesk on an update.

Yes, the update features are "nice", but the amount of crashes and freezes per day (>20) makes in not worth using AT ALL!!!!

Sending reports to Autodesk get the standard automated responises - also not worth filling in.

IF ONLY Autodesk had the feature to DOWNGRADE files to 2011 then at least we would be able to work.

Autodesk, please do not use the WORLD as your BETA TESTERS.

From a VERY DISSAPOINTED (ex?)customer. 

Tags (2)
105 REPLIES 105
Message 61 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
in reply to: 2grumpy

Thanx.

We even re-insalled the PC completely - even formatting it and isntalling from  NOTHING. No improvement!

We're also on Win 7 64 bit. 

Message 62 of 106

Could you have introduced (on a previous version) a "corrupting" element to your existing drawings by manner of scripting or PDM (Vault) database usage or linkage? Or perhaps some other reason that makes IV2012 not handle your existing projects? (like a past conversion out of SW, dead references etc). Perhaps you have overlooked such an option compared to just looking at IV2012 and/or hardware and OS?

A way to check would be to see if a project made purely, from the start, on IV2012 has as much trouble.

Message 63 of 106

Thank you for your suggestions.

1) No, we do not use Vault.

2) The problems are both on projects created on IV 2011 as well as brand new projects created on IV 2012.

But thank you for your input.

Henk 

Message 64 of 106

Hello,

Instead of trying hear to solve your issues mybe you should contact AD. OPen a service request they can connect to your pc and see the problem.

Regards,

Dan 

Message 65 of 106

Please send me an email with your contact information. I'll take a personal stake in trying to help you.

djeffrey@teknigroup.com

Dennis

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 66 of 106

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with Inventor 2012.

I would like to investigate these problems further.

Have you been submitting Crash Error Reports?

If so, can you provide me the email address you are providing with these crash error reports?

I can then have my team investigate these to better understand what is going on with these.

My email address is Chuck.Savatsky@Autodesk.com

Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Chuck Savatsky
Director Software Development Inventor
Autodesk
Message 67 of 106

Thank you for your offer.

I well get my draughtsman to contact you by e-mail.

Henk 

Message 68 of 106

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. I have been looking at your crash reports and we are actively working on identifying a fix.

I would appreciate it, if you could try a workaround to fix your crashes. That would really help us validate our theories.

The workaround:

1. Launch Application Options

2. Go to the Drawing Tab

3. Set "Enable Background updates" - ON

4. Set "Memory Savings Mode" - OFF 

It's important that you SET Memory savings mode OFF when background updates are ON.

We have identified as clash between Background updates and Memory Savings Mode. You can have either one ON, but not both. The preference is that Enable Background updates are ON (default) if you want drawing view computes to go faster.

If you could test this and let me know or post back to this thread that would help validate our theory. We are actively working on rolling out some fixes ASAP in the drawing area in the very near term.

Once again, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

You can reach me at sundars@autodesk.com if you have any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 69 of 106

Eureka! Its solved..... well we found a work-around.

By applying the following:
1. Launch Application Options
2. Go to the Drawing Tab
3. Set "Enable Background updates" - ON
4. Set "Memory Savings Mode" - OFF
5. Shut down and Restart Inventor (just to make sure your options are captured, this is just a backup safety precaution)
(The graphics also had to be set to compatibility mode.)

By searching some other forums (not an official Autodesk forum) and having the Modena (a South African support company for Autodesk) support engineer struggle for 5 hours we found by a process of "try this - try that" that this workaround works.

I problem is that the UNDO function is not limited and sometimes does not work at all.

Ironically, AFTER we managed to find this workaround, we received an e-mail from an Autodesk support engineer in the USA (I presume) listing this exact workaround as the solution to our problem. ($200 wasted on the call out!)

Hopefully we have cause enough of a stir that Autodesk will release a patch or hot fix to solve this (even though they still have not admitted that it is ACTUALLY a software issue and not a hardware issue.)

The frustration was that when the support technical was on site we copied all our data to him and he tried all he could to "crash" IV on his laptop, but it just would not die!

In part I do understand that Autodesk cannot attend to each and every error log they receive, but somewhere one needs to find a way of sifting the user-induced problems and real bugs. AND when a bug IS found, admit it and fix it IMMEDIATELY. In the end we probably lost the best part of 40 man hours of work and rework. (I wonder if I can put in a warranty claim against Autodesk.)

So, thank you Autodesk for finally solving the problem. (I'm glad I did not have to migrate to another CAD system!)

Henk

Message 70 of 106

good to hear it's solved.

Just a note, now I have not read all 7 pages of what appears to be a rant or someone venting frustration going by the subject line...we've all been there...

but next time instead of posting something where you believe it's the softwares' fault or the company who made the software, start off with a descriptive subject line and just post relevant info in regards to your situation...again, I'm going by the subject line of this thread.  You don't know how many times I passed by this thread - ignoring it, simply because it seemed to be someone ranting or complaining about the software/company.

Again, glad you've finally solved this issue.  Perhaps for the benifit of anyone reading this in the future, you might take the time to mark the Autodesk's reply to your thread just before this most recent post of yours as the solution to your issue.  Even though you stated it was someone else who lead you to this solution, the Autodesk employee's answer is the same thing (sorry, I forgot your name Adesk employee and don't see your response on this page)

Have a good weekend!

Message 71 of 106

Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

Yes, it IS the software that is at fault.

IV is now running stable - BUT it is running easily at half speed!!

Emage the time it takes you to do your design on IV now and double that!

(Come to think of it - this is FASTER than IV with all the crashes!!!)

But it is still dissapointing the current speed.

IV has however promised that a PATCH / FIX / (Non Beta version) is busy being developed.

Is the lesson in the end not this: DO NOT use the first version of Autodesk software since it may be full of bugs?

In the end we are back up and running without 100 crashes per day, although at half speed.

Thank you all for your assistance. I hope we ALL learned a lot out of this.

Henk 

Message 72 of 106
kstate92
in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

It seems (based on reading this forum about everyday) that staying one release behind may be the most prudent.  When the second patch comes out and the din of user complaints die down, then the coast may be clear to upgrade.  Though it does seem 2011 had far more issues than 2012 (again, based on browsing this forum).  Sometimes new features may force your hand upgrade-wise, but the other edge of the sword is the 'first take' on a new feature is frequently, shall we say, a little too exciting.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 73 of 106
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: kstate92

I would tend to disagree...

New features improve productivity IF they are learned and implemented early. If you wait for software to be perfect before using it, it would never get used. That's the nature of software. It is always a work in progress.

I rarely weigh in on "Rant" threads, but I made an offer very early on to help the original poster, but it was ignored. I'm sure there are still issues here with either the install or the hardware. I have personally completed over 50 installs with 2012 on various systems, 32 and 64 bit, on xp, xp64, Win7 that do not exhibit the issues that the OP has.

It is much better to solve a problem than ranting.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 74 of 106

In my experience it's not the software, but the pc it's being run on which is usually at fault, or not optimized for running CAD software.

Glad to report I'm not seeing the same issues you are on multiple pc's, not one being the same as the other.

Good Luck.

Message 75 of 106
kstate92
in reply to: ampster401

The explain the existence of hot fixes.  And service packs.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 76 of 106
ampster401

@kstate92 wrote:

The explain the existence of hot fixes.  And service packs.

Will software ever be in a "final" release state, regardless if it's a new version or "in-the-middle" and SP's and hotfixes are needed to fix bugs?

How's MS's record (as well as SW, Pro-E, NX, etc etc) for producing "perfect" software?

All I am trying to get across here is, don't come here to complain.  Post your issues and let us peers try to help people out.

If you get lucky and snag a Autodesk employee to answer your question/issue/apoligize for the software, great.

If you need help in troubleshooting a problem, post your issues and state specific issues related to the problem.

Come here to vent, well, good luck.

Message 77 of 106
ampster401

to late to edit last reply...

After reading just the 1st couple of pages, something we've seen here a number of times is,

1. user gets new pc.

2. user gets all work related software loaded, including CAD software.

3. between the time when they first received their brand spanking new pc and when they start noticing crashes, slow system response, etc, they've managed to downloand and install so much non-work related software (weatherbug, Twitter/Facebook apps, multiple Instant messaging softwares, etc) that their system is left with what, 10% of their resources for actual work related computings.  They are the first ones to complain that their new pc's are not up to snuff and start complaining about how slow/always crashing/etc their pc's are...

Gotta wonder...

Message 78 of 106
kstate92

Wow.

Topic Options > Unsubscribe

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 79 of 106
phil-mcam

If many many users, many thousands in fact, are downloading, installing, and using the new versions, wouldn't a universal problem with the software be obvious? We're not lying, it works fine for us.

I have used Inventor since late 1999. Aside from a few very bad "breaks" (opposite of "fixes") that the programmers have put in over the years, for the most part the machine is the gating factor. Sorry but if you want higher, wider and deeper performance, you need to provide a structure for this to happen. You cannot ignore the hardware, it will tell you when something isn't right. But I do think we need some help here.

One thing I think should be revisited: a very up front and easy to implement user guide for hardware and software regarding performance, and I mean something like a wizard on the software. Whenever I go looking for these solutions I seem to find them sprinkled over several threads. Couldn't the very short list of variables be plugged into a sniffer that would look into your machine and say "this driver is out of date, this RAM is slow, etc"?

Besides asking Windows to analyze the machine, and getting some kind of non-technical or descriptive rating like 4.3, what is there? There are a finite number of variables. Computers can figure this out better than we can. And please, if I've missed this functionality let me know where it is I'd love to use it. 

I want to design stuff, not be an IT army of one, not spend a minute trying to remember which driver might be out of date, and so forth. I am a designer not a programmer. We don't expect automobile owners to know how to set the spark plug gap, or do the timing, or jet the carbs, or pick out the right ratio rear end any longer. I feel that computers and software are still in the late '70s using this metaphor.

The other day a Vault install gave me a great list of problems, all of which I had no idea how to fix. I'm not IT or Microsoft Certified. If Vault knows the problem, and therefore by extension the solution,  then why not a "fix" button too?

Autodesk has been saying for years that they want the software to get out of my way and let me design how I like. So why do I need to dig all around the interwebs looking for that one thing hanging up my system or my client's system? I'm not complaining, just looking for a solution. You can tell me this doesn't exist, I'll keep hoping. It's okay. Smiley Indifferent

Message 80 of 106
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: phil-mcam

That's why I do a ton of tech support.... for free.

I agree that there should be some forms of diagnostics that would check a system before install:

A/V off?

UAC to lowest setting?

Are you an administrator?

Is your system compatible with minimum requirements?

HAVE YOU READ THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS???

Minimum graphics?

In actuality, my classroom systems AND a few laptops here all have embedded ATI graphics and they are running 2012 fine. Possibly not the best performance, but they are rock stable. I'm running Toshiba and HP laptops and Tekni desktops. One of the laptops is a 2GB xp that is 7 years old. Runs 2012 fine without Visual effects.

I think the biggest difference is that all systems have software that were installed properly and run Antivirus that does not conflict with the software operation.

If there are doubters in the crowd, come visit my office and try to break the systems...  Not bragging, just trying to make a point. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report