Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Item Number

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
binuvarkey
2297 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2012 Item Number

In INV 2013 items numbers in BOM doesn't follow what is in its sub assemblies. e.g., refer to BOM1.jpg & BOM2.jpg

BOM1.JPG

BOM2.JPG

BOM3.jpg shows how it is on its sub assembly 15024236.iam

BOM3.JPG

Is there any way to force Inventor to use items numbers of subassemblies in top level assemblies?

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: binuvarkey

It really is in a sense. The .1 and .2 and .3 are the same as the 1, 2 and 3 in the sub assembly. The Prefix number is only the identifier of the Sub number within the parent assembly.

The the items in your 15024236 are 1, 2 and 3 and if you placed this sub with a larger IAM file and you identified this sub as item A, then you would see: A.1 , A.2 and A.3 when you are using the indentied BOM

If you did this all the items in each sub assembly would end up sharing 1, 2, 3 and so on.

I have included an indented structured BOM.

The Item 17 in the main assembly consists of a number of parts and sub assemblies. The prefix 17 will only relate the this assembly within this main assembly, If I resorted and renumbered this main assembly so that this item no long is item 17, and this item moved up the tree to item #6, then the Prefix 17 would now become Prefix 6. The first couple of items would change from 17.1 17.2 17.3 to 6.1 6.2 6.3 .If I opening this item AML7002-B by itself, I would end up with these first items become 1, 2 and 3.

I don't know how it could be done any different.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
binuvarkey
in reply to: blair

I think I did not explain the problem clearly.

BOM for “ASSY1” (in BOM3.jpg - last one) “PART1” is item 1 & “PART2” is item 2.

In BOM2.jpg subcomponents for “ASSY1” are listed. Here “PART1” is item 1 (1.1) & “PART2” is item 2 (1.2).

Again in BOM1.jpg subcomponents for “ASSY1” are listed. Then “PART1” is item 2 (2.1.2) & “PART2” is item 1 (2.1.1). Here the problem is, if I open the top level assembly and look for the Item Number 1 in “ASSY1”, it shows “PART2”. But when I open “ASSY1”, item number 1 in that assembly is “PART1”.

Why is Inventor using a different item number for "PART1 or PART2" in "ASSY1" and Top Level assembly.

15024236 = ASSY1

15024209 = PART2

15024223 = PART1

Hope it clarifies.

Message 4 of 5
blair

Yes you did explain. Inventor is doing exactly what it must do in each IAM and is designed to do. This Prefix numbering it relevant to the parent IAM file. This is what the Balloon numbering in a drawing will reference. It is unique to each Primary IAM and not the sub assemblies.

Try resorting and numbering in a BOM of this larger assembly. You will find that the Prefix number will change to match.

Each BOM structure and numbering is relevant to that Parent IAM file. It is a numbering only for that IAM only.

This is only the Item Numbering for each BOM for the IAM, it is not changing the Part Number or File Name. Perhaps you may wish to drag the Part Number column to the first row as this will never change regardless of how you sort and item number your BOM's for a IAM.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
swhite

if you want to make a specific part item 1 then type it into the item column and renumber the rest, otherwise it is going to number them in the order they are placed within the assembly or if you manually rearrange the assemblies or BOM it will renumber them in order. I always type the letters, since we use a, b, c, etc, so that part c is always part c no matter what assembly it is in. if you use the automatic numbering then you need to first rearrange your BOM so the parts are the numbers you want them.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report