Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2011 - iProperties and Edit Derived Part dialogs not appearing

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
greg_courville
788 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor 2011 - iProperties and Edit Derived Part dialogs not appearing

I've occasionally run into a problem where when I right-click at the root of the browser tree and select iProperties, the dialog will not show. The application acts as if the dialog is active (in particular, Windows makes an annoying ding every time I try to click somewhere on the Inventor UI) but I cannot see it. If I recall correctly, this only affected some files, and I could usually get around it by opening the dialog from the main menu rather than from the browser.

Now I am experiencing something similar with the Derived Part dialog. After I select a part file to derive from, the dialog for selecting individual elements never actually appears on the screen, but Inventor seems to think it's there, as the part I am deriving from is displayed in the viewport and the browser tree is locked out. Again, it seems as if the dialog is active but invisible: If I press Enter, I get a derived part, and if I press Escape, the preview disappears and nothing new is put in the browser. Of course, I can't choose which elements of the base part I want to derive from. Right-clicking the derived part entry in the browser and selecting "Edit derived part" produces the same result -- evidently, an invisible dialog box.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a workaround?

I am running Inventor 2011 SP2.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Update: I was able to get the dialog back by clicking "Edit derived part", unplugging my external monitor, waiting for Windows to disable that output, then plugging it back in. When the external monitor came back up, the edge of the dialog was just barely peeking over the edge of the screen and I was able to drag it back in. For some reason the whole dialog window was a blank white space, but when I dismissed it and opened it again, it popped up in the visible screen area and rendered properly.

Oh well, there goes another hour...

Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: greg_courville

When that happens in the future, just type Alt-Space M (keyboard shortcuts to activate the Windows Move command) and use the arrow keys to maneuver the dialog box back onto the screen.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 4
greg_courville
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

When that happens in the future, just type Alt-Space M (keyboard shortcuts to activate the Windows Move command) and use the arrow keys to maneuver the dialog box back onto the screen.

Perfect. I had tried the move shortcut before, but with no luck. Since the mouse cursor isn't allowed past the screen boundary, when the move command is activated the cursor just jumps to the edge of the screen and stops, and there's no way to "grab" the errant window. I wasn't aware that I could use the keyboard.

Thanks! This will save a lot of headaches.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report