Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2011 Rendering

92 REPLIES 92
Message 1 of 93
LotzH
3451 Views, 92 Replies

Inventor 2011 Rendering

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I have Inventor 2011 Professional and when I take a simple block that I created as a part and the place it in a assembly - save the assembly and the go to Inventor Studio - I try to render an animation that I created or just a simple JPEG. My inventor closes down completely after just a few seconds of rendering.

The settings of my rendered animation is as follow
General
Width x Height = 800 x 600
Camera = Camera 1
Lightning style = Current Lightning
Scene Style = XY Ground Plane
Render Type = Shaded

Output
It saves it to my Current Project file
Time range = 0 - 30 s
Antialiasing = Low Antialiasing
Format = Video
Frame Rate = 10
Preview and Launch player is unticked

I've tried to use the lowest setting of everything but then the quality is very poor and unacceptable!

If I try it on the above settings "which is not that hi" it closes my Inventor a few seconds into the rendering.

After it is closed it is still running in my Task Manager under processes at 800,000k - 900,000k

Then I have to kill it there!!

Please help as I am stuck and need this to work.

My PC Spec is as follow

Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Extreme
CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM

Graphics - NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 512 MB Version 60.84.63.00.17
92 REPLIES 92
Message 61 of 93
askseddon
in reply to: Anonymous

Christian,

I have 12 G RAM with a 4G graphics card and I still get the problem.  It occurs with both nVidia and ATI cards as well.

Dave Seddon

Message 62 of 93
askseddon

This issue is killing me and although the workaround seems to work moving from 16 processors to 1 hits my productivity big time.  Do you have any idea how long this issue is going to take to fix?  It affects nVidia and ATI cards, 2010 and 2011.

Thanks,

Dave Seddon

Message 63 of 93
radoil

I've had the exact same issues using a 64 bit Xp system, running 8GB of memory.

I have yet to find a solution, short of exporting all the files to another 3D program.

Message 64 of 93
conor_kelly

William,

I was struggling with IV2011 crashing when trying to render a small assembly all day. Tried your work around and it works for me.

I unchecked all CPU's except CPU 0, rendering worked, (repeatably)

I find I can keep CPU 0, CPU2, and CPU 3 checked & CPU 1 unchecked.

CPU 1 checked in any combination cause IV2011 to crash when rendering.

Thanks for this work-around,

Conor.

Message 65 of 93
drspringer
in reply to: LotzH

I've been having the same problem. Updating the video drivers got me a bit farther but setting the affinity actually worked. I left all 8 CPUs checked excpet CPU 1 as noted above so I can still render with decent speed.

Don't forget to set the affinity every time you need to render. It goes back to all checked on my system.

Windows XP64 SP2

Intel Xeon CPU

Dell W3570 3.2 GHz, 8 GB Ram

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295, 512MB

Message 66 of 93
stephengibson76
in reply to: bobvdd

thanks for the reply, this works but is not really acceptable... I have a 3 minute animation I want to render, on a single core it takes about 16 hrs for 30 seconds which means I have to run it over the weekend rather than overnight, i dont have 6 weekends to get this job done which means my machine is going to get tied up for a couple of hours every evening before i leave work, would be ok if england were still in the world cup, but as it stands, i am twiddling my thumbs

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 67 of 93
James183
in reply to: stephengibson76

Greetings,

after a few weeks dealing with this problem I have to say its terrible. If we knew Autodesk technical support is in this case frozen, we wouldn't buy this software. My work depends on retaking models from my college and render animations. Well, I am not running on quad core with 12gb ram but core2duo with 4GB memory. With 1 CPU checked I am able to render +- 100-150 frames at once untill the buffer goes overloaded. I had an idea to decrease IV2011 to IV2010 (thought it was much better) but I've found another problem. Converted files from 2011 are not compatible with 2010. So ... dead end and I didn't mention scattered models from IV2010 I have to re-edit and re-save 😞

I am not happy with this situation. Is there any way to clear the buffer during rendering process? I just can't make animations by creating 20 series of 100 images and sitting by PC all the time (days ...).

Jan 

Message 68 of 93
doug

It’s interesting to read this thread and to know that I am not alone. I’ve been struggling with these same issues ever since I installed 2011. My machine does not lack for horsepower:

Win7 64 Pro

Dual Hexcore 5600 Xeons @ 2.44 GHz

24 Gigs of RAM

FX1800 Graphics (with 197.59)

8 Drive 1.5T RAID 10

Supermicro X8 MB

I’ve tried most of what has been written here. I tried installing 2011 on my old 32 bit XP SP3, Dual Xeon (Single core HT) box and get the same crash as reported here. The same memory creep, etc. What is massively frustrating is that it works sometimes, maybe one out of 6 or 8 times. It’s addictive – like pulling the handle on a slot machine. And, like a slot machine the odds on it working go down as the complexity (jackpot) goes up. One time it rendered a dozen or more renderings successfully in a row until the memory usage creeped up and it ran out. Why? I have no idea. It hasn’t worked at all since. I am trying the single core work-around now. It seems to be working. It’s stupidly slow. What would take 15-20 minutes (when it worked of course) has taken 2 hours so far and it is not yet half way!

I, like other who have written to this thread, am pretty ticked-off at AutoDesk for shipping a product as crappy as 2011. It may date me, but this reminds of the AutoCAD Release 13 debacle. I too have had to make excuses to my clients for my inability to deliver renderings on time, ifat all, and it has cost me thousands in lost revenue given that I cannot charge for time spent experimenting and doing things over and over in an attempt to get something out. Now these same blockheads are grinding on me for a subscription renewal! Some chutzpah! I also had huge crashing issues initially with 2010 that was eventually linked to a 3Dconnexion driver issue that was eventually resolved. At least that episode taught me religious use of CTRL-S and I could get it done. With this defect, we are just torpedoed with a direct hit to the mid-ship magazine. August is surely a long way off….

Message 69 of 93
BillPIII
in reply to: drspringer

I had the render crash on the ATI card. I turned off CPU1 as suggested and it would render. I also tried it on my Nvida and so far haven't seen the crash. But I'm still disappointed that the rendering is so slow. I think 2011 only saved two hours from a 2010 animation that took 16 hours. As I said in that other post, this is just a walk around a few parts and a couple minutes long, not Avatar. These are the rendering speeds I saw over a decade ago with 3DS max. I know these are "solids" as opposed to "meshes" but I was expecting a little more.

Message 70 of 93
YS_WM
in reply to: BillPIII

Hi,

I have the same problem as everyone else. I am trying to simulate 30 sec of a big assembly. The computer runs out of memory (18GB) after 30 min and 11 frames, and inventor crashes. I have tried turning of CPU 1 with no success. I have download the fix DL15293597 again with no success.

Does anyone have any more ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Model: HP HPE-180t.

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU  950 @ 3.07GHZ.

Memory: 18.0 GB

Display adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Message 71 of 93
askseddon

I had the same issue.  There is a hotfix issued to address it for 2011.  Try applying the patch and see if this fixes it.

Message 72 of 93
drspringer
in reply to: askseddon

I applied the patch about a week ago and it has been working fine since.

Message 73 of 93
YS_WM

Did you apply the same hotfix I did?  DL15293597

If not, can you please give me a link to the hotfix?

Message 74 of 93
askseddon
in reply to: YS_WM

This is the one.

Message 75 of 93
YS_WM

Thanks, I will try to reinstall it. Do you know if there are any problems with the installation for win7 64-bit?

Message 76 of 93
askseddon

Sorry I do not know, I am stuck in the dark ages using XP 64!

Message 77 of 93
YS_WM

Thanks anyway, I will reinstalling and simulating again over night.

Message 78 of 93
YS_WM

I have installed the hotfix and tried to render again. NO SUCCESS. Just like before, the memory usage is claiming higher and higher. Right now it finished rendering 7 out of 1100 frames and it used 17.1GB out of 18GB.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Message 79 of 93
karthur1

I just noticed that they just posted 2011 SP1.  Might give that a go.

Message 80 of 93
YS_WM

Ok, So I've installed SP1 this morning and tried to run the simulation again. After 8 out of 1100 frames the computer have used 11GB of memory. The assembly is big but not something my computer should not handel, right?! I have 224 open documents in session and 504 occurrences in active document.

Attached are the setting to the rendering.

Am I doing anything wrong? I am out of ideas.

AutoCAD Inventor Suite 2011 64-Bit Edition SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report